Partitioning MBP

3 posts in this topic

Hello members

Before I start working with the MBP I have a few questions:

1. Is it wise to partition the HD similar to what I have always done in Win between OS and Documents?

2. I will need a VM setup to run my CAD(win based) program; should the VM be on a separate partition?

3. The MBP is used for architectural work for most of the time so what is the best option Outlook or mac version?

3. Any advice in relation to this would be very much appreciated

Thanks

NT

If you are using your MBP with bootcamp leave the documents on the bootcamp partition, Mac can read/write from it (even NTFS with Paragon driver or MacFuse with NTFS-3g which is open sources), but Win can't read/write from Mac partition (uness you install Mac Drive).

If you are using your CAD app only on a VM is better to use an VM disk, Partitions are more complicated, specially on several disks configurations.

If you are using Microsoft Exchange as server there is an Outlook for Mac that uses it, if you are using only POP3 or IMAP mail server Entourage is the MS Mail App, but I rather use Mail (the one tha came with Mac OS, although I no longer use it anymore, I prefer to concentrate everything in Gmail)

Try VMware and Parallels, and see which one suits you better.

If you are using your MBP with bootcamp leave the documents on the bootcamp partition, Mac can read/write from it (even NTFS with Paragon driver or MacFuse with NTFS-3g which is open sources), but Win can't read/write from Mac partition (uness you install Mac Drive).

If you are using your CAD app only on a VM is better to use an VM disk, Partitions are more complicated, specially on several disks configurations.

If you are using Microsoft Exchange as server there is an Outlook for Mac that uses it, if you are using only POP3 or IMAP mail server Entourage is the MS Mail App, but I rather use Mail (the one tha came with Mac OS, although I no longer use it anymore, I prefer to concentrate everything in Gmail)

Try VMware and Parallels, and see which one suits you better.

Hi MacGirl

Thanks for the advice. :)

So there is no need to partition the HD and have the OS on one partition and docs on the other(like win).

Most likely I will install Fusion(my neighbour says it is the best at the moment) and have CAD on it.

Contacts and mail seem to be slightly harder to move. With Entourage it might be the easiest way to take the whole mail database accross. Does entourage have the contacts included like outlook?

Regards

NT