Intel GMA 3100 (not X3100)

Dr. Watz0n

13 posts in this topic

Yea, I know I am probably going to get flamed up the whazoo for this, but here I go anyway. So, I installed Leopard today. Works great, except the resolution. I knew before I installed that Leopard doesn't like the GMA 3100 chip I have, but I figured I would work towards a solution once I had it installed. So, I browsed through some of the topics and have yet to find a solution (obviously). I've tried using SwitchRes X to no use. So, my question is: Is there any method, risky or not, to be able to change the resolution (either threw the System Preferences Display panel or manually) with the GMA 3100 chip? By the way, the specs are in my signature.

Dual Boot: Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 and Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Drives: Mac OS X - 250GB, Windows Vista - 320GB

Display: 19" Widescreen Flatpanel

Graphics: Intel GMA 3100 (Need the resolution fix... :))

What motherboard is that on?

Is not a matter of Leo likes or does not like the GMA3100, there are no drivers for other Intel cards than GMA950 and GMAX3100 on Leopard, on Tiger add GMA900.

GMA300 and 3100 are very different chipset from X3100.

Is the same case trying to run a Nvidia 9600 card knowing that only G92 chipsets are suported (8800 and 9800 cards).

You may be able to change resolution on boot. This may give you your resolution with vesa.

1. In OSX go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

2. Copy the file "com.apple.Boot.plist" to desktop

3. Open "com.apple.boot.plist" in Text Editor.

4. Add this in:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"1280x1024x32@60"</string>

you can change the resolution to your liking. "x32" means 32 bit color, "@60" is the refresh rate.

5. save the file, save it as a .plist not .txt!

6. copy and replace the original.

Good luck.

Just as a note, trying the method of editing the plist file doesn't work. Just ends up corrupting the install (though I was able to replace the modified one with the original, so no big deal).

You can try in a sigle line:

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"

you can have different plist files with -obviously- different settings, then when it is booting write "config=any-name-you-want" with ".plist" or without it.

I have tv.plist in my Desktop hack, when I want to have a certain configuration I just write "config=tv"

• 7 months later...

Hi there...

ending this year and still no solution for this??

I have a (desktop-not laptop) DG31PR mobo that claimed to have GMA x3100 on board graphic, but everywhere I see that x3100 is only for laptops... so I suppose it is wrong labeled and it's in fact GMA 3100.

No luck with kalyway 10.5.2 so far. Only 1024x768 @ 60hz (the refresh rate is killing my eyes!)

No kext is loaded for the graphic.

How did your saga end? Did you find any solution?

happy ending! better start!!

/j

on my DELL Inspiron 530 I installed iDeneb v 1.3 (=10.5.5) with GMA 950 option. It works without extreme support. nothing new. I can change the resolution by editing darwin bootloader parameter that is explained above.

somehow, it changed to 1280x1024 but not more than that.. strange. I tried to fix the file permission using OSXtool and disk utility. - that corrupted plist file though .. arg. I will try to repair it. any advice for this poor novice? :)

Don't expect any device driver development anytime soon.. since it is not gonna happen by Apple anyway.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

HEy,

I'm looking for Intel GMA3100 drivers too. I have an Intel DG31PR MoBo with OS X.5.8 and am trying to get this blasted thing to work. Quartz can be enabled using the Quartz enabler in OSX86Tools - but not QE. If anyone else has a way to get that enabled I'd be stoked out of my mind right now. TIA

• 2 years later...

See here

http://www.taiwanpcs...telgraphics.htm

difference between GMA 3100 and x3100

BTW, when i installed BURG(a gui bootloader) from ubuntu, booting OSX from it made my hackintosh start in 1600x1200 resolution

while with the chamelion bootloader, i could get max 1280x1024 by editing boot.plist file

my motherboard is MSI MS-7525 (aka Boston-GL6).

GMA3100 device id is 0x29c2

currently running iPC 10.5.6