Help me solve the boot issue!

martinc

8 posts in this topic

Okay after looking around my 10.4.4 box that won't boot I've got some clues to help solve this.

bless --info returns

Could not find IODeviceTree:/options
Can't access "efi-boot-device" NVRAM variable

efi? That shouldn't be there....

/Volumes/OSX/usr/standalone/i386 has one file in it: boot.efi

once again, shouldn't be there.

If anyone has their 10.4.3 system booting off of one disk named disk0s1 please PM me, I need your bootx.bootinfo from the i386 folder.

I've just copied the bootx.bootinfo from the ppc folder (i dunno why that was there) to the i386 folder. I'll reboot and tell you how it goes, although the efi-boot-device will prolly still block me.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not circumventing the efi, mods, so try not to edit/close this topic until I do :(

If you can get to a shell prompt, it should work something like this:

sudo bless --device /dev/disk0s1 --bootinfo --setBoot

If it complains about --setBoot, it didn't find NVRAM like is inside a regular Apple computer to store startup volume info onto. Safe to ignore that warning. The --bootinfo should add the appropriate BOOTX file for the configuration. It will not erase or record a new EFI.

Same problem here, same native install - solutions were one of the following for me:

1) Leave the installer DVD in the drive - when booted and you not press anything while it waits, it finds the "active" OS X partition and loads it.

2) Replace MBR with a cheap-and-dirty boot loader/partition menu. I default to XP, press 2 for OS X 10.4.4 and press 3 for OS X 10.4.3.

Ugly, but apparently I can't get around JUST relying on the "active" bit in the Partition table to be everything I was hoping it could be.