Ati x1600 pro on Leopard - Any chance Get It Work?!

Dipsi D

3 posts in this topic

This Is my spec:

CPU: Intel pentium D 3.00 ghz 800 MHZ.

Memory: 4 x 1 Samsung 512mb 667mhz ddr2.

MotherBoard: Asus P5ld2-VM intel 945p.

Graphic Card: Gecube Ati X1600 Pro 256mb.

HD: WDC WD2500JS-22MHB0 250GB.

Screen - LCD: Dell 2007wfp 1680 X 1050 Wide Screen.

Mac OSx86 --> Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8 Installed On Second Partition (After Vista Partition) MBR Partition Scheme dual boot vista using Darwin kernel.

Here Is the Options I Choose:

kernel_9.2_sleepALC882_p5w_dh_deluxe, AppleNForceATA, AppleOnboardPCATA, AppleV

AATA, AppleGenericPCATA, SiliconImage3132, Lastnetkassmbios, TimeMachineFix, USBPCGenSo

The Story goes Like this: I had before Jas 10.4.8 installed on my system, but it has no much use, cause it runs slowly and with a lot of crashes, so I can't say I have experience with mac os x and kernel patching, but I really want to learn.

Now I have Leopard on my system, and i thought and wished i could install it perfect as much as possible with asking zero help cause I'm Not such an active user here in InsanleyMac forum, BUT as you can see I'm Stuck.I searched the forum and google and read almost every {censored} of information I could relevant to my spec, but I am now full of mess and not sure what to do.

I Understand that Pentium D Can't Run Vanila (Stuck) Kernel Cause runs on a different architecture, so vanilla kernel isn't an option (causing reboot loop as I understand), so TOH kernel Is the Solution.

Sound need patching (as in jas 10.4.8) ALC882 - solved :P.

Mobo chipsets: I tried understanding what it means, But with no success, Only that if not sure Which One I should select them all and make sure there is no two nforce on the selection, so if someone as a clue what's suit to my hd fill free to spell it out :).

And what's Left a really pain in the a** is the Graphic card issue - and I believe I read almost every thread concerning My graphic card here in insanely mac and outdoors - searching google.

With The fresh kalyway 10.5.2 install, and not choosing any graphic card kernels at install (choosing one "suit" causing mac stuck at apple log window) I Got:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c2

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Dell LCD does working from DVI Port with no artifacts or mouse tearing, but no QE\CI Support, No resolution support etc. :)

My question Is Could I Improve my card support on Leopard with at least DVI Support (I have only dvi ports on my card) and maybe some QE/CI, resolution Support (don't really care about Dual Screen)?I mean I know there is a lot of thread concerning my graphic card and maybe some closer models, but I couldn't find one thats working or more likely suit my needs - taking into consideration I need DVI Support cause I only Have DVI Ports on my card (x2), So No Dvi isn't an option.

Any way I'm Sorry For the Long thread, and me dropping it like a bomb on this forum, cause I really wanted solve my spec problem by reading already discussed thread, and not bugging with another one, but I got Lost and eventually I do need Help, or more likely Ask for help, so it's pretty much all the help I need in one Thread... :)

And I really want to thank all the "free_helpers" - Thats How I call them, whom doing a lot for no charge and no benefits, and making these impossible.

One more thing- Some have you probably will think - he should buy a new machine - so for your consideration I know that :P:D, please don't make me fill bad, I'm only waiting for the Next generation to come :D.

I'm not Sure if I post it in the right place, So sorry if I didn't, Got a little confused on where to post it.

check this but I'm not sure about DVI support http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry678401

Thanks For the reply, If I remember correctly I tried the solution offered above - And DVI not working with this combination, but still thanks a lot.

NEW IMPORTANT\STRANGE PROGRESS

Today after writing this thread, I tried new method and got really impressive progress which I believe fit and impress others with the same issue like me which probably gave up or compromised.

The thing is that I found this thread (pretty new 2008) author shaybc:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80649

And followed instructions till CI\QE title, not include, and after reboot as happened before I got dvi port not working - Black Screen(=LCD Turning off) after leopard login window.

Than I remembered some guy here at this forum saying he changed from 1 DVI input to the other one and Got it work, So I unplugged the LCD and plugged it to the second DVI Input, and BAMM NO Black Screen, BUT something very strange happened, although I didn't got black screen NOR kernel panic or machine stuck at login window(common issues), I got leopard but only desktop background loaded properly,no mouse tearing no artifacts resolution improved, BUT with no Icons or dock or apple "start menu" the one which appear on top of the screen - NOTHING Only desktop background and more than that - mouse fully working I can hit right mouse button and enter change desktop background and some more right click options, and I can change desktop background or create new folder, and when I did created new folder- the new folder icon appeared on the screen but when I hit twice on the Icon it was like it went and opened finder in an extended left monitor - I could roll the mouse to the left on the screen and the borders weren't the actual LCD screen same as in extended desktop mode only that I tried connecting another Pnp crt monitor to the other dvi input with adapter, but it cause apple not to boot same as when the lcd was plugged alone in the first dvi port - black screen (displays power off) togther at the same time after apple login window.

Very Strange simptoms, but I think I'm Up to something, cause when it did boot and act like an extended desktop - the resolution was better - so it means the kext playing helped, but something causing it to think it's an extended display.

Maybe someone who control kext patching could continue from here, cause I'm definitely not to hot shot when it comes to kext patching and os x at all.

Thanks And hope you found my progress helpful to you and can solve this mystery\strange behavior.