[GUIDE] ASUS P8P67 Rev. 3 B3 Resource Extravaganza!

slave-zeo

2 posts in this topic

UPDATE 02-14-2012 - Mac OS X 10.7.3 has been nothing but trouble for me. I'm not updating this guide until i get the bugs ironed out (or until 10.7.4 is released).

UPDATE 10-26-2011 - Added more Speedstepping information to the guide.

UPDATE 10-21-2011 - Added preliminary Speedstepping section to the guide.

UPDATE 10-19-2011 - Re-created the entire driver package. Individual choices for each driver now and there shouldn't be any install errors. The updated package is available at the bottom of this post. Please read information bout it before using.

UPDATE 10-18-2011 - Fixed the Audio Driver portion of the Driver Package. The updated package is available at the bottom of this post. Please read information bout it before using.

UPDATE 10-17-2011 - I've compiled a Driver Package for use with the ASUS P8P67 motherboard. It is available at the bottom of this post. Please read information bout it before using.

Hardware Components

CPU Socket Type - LGA 1155

CPU Type - Core i7 / i5 / i3 (LGA1155)

Chipset - Intel P67

Number of Memory Slots - 4×240pin

Memory Standard - DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066

Maximum Memory Supported - 32GB

Channel Supported - Dual Channel

Expansion Slots

PCI Express 2.0 x16

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16* [black] (max. at x4 mode)

2 x PCI Express x1

3 x PCI Slots

Storage Devices

4 x SATA 3Gb/s

SATA 6Gb/s

- 2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray) by P67

- 2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue) by Marvell 9120

SATA RAID

- SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray) and SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue) support RAID 0,1,5,10

Audio Chipset - Realtek ALC892

LAN Chipset - Realtek 8111E 10/100/1000Mbps

Bluetooth - Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR (see notes below)

Firewire 1394 - 1x VIA 1394

Installation

I used this trusty guide ( http://www.insanelym...howtopic=256729 ) for 99% of my installation. It's a great guide and has been updated for Lion. You'll need at least an 8GB USB memory stick (or thumb drive) for this project. NOTE: you'll need another working hackintosh install or real mac for the guide.

Just follow the instructions in the above guide for making a bootable USB installation stick. After you have your bootable memory stick in hand its time to get down to business.

For Installation I disabled all over clocking in the UEFI BIOS, this is probably not entirely necessary but I wanted to be safe instead of sorry. To get into the UEFI BIOS press and HOLD the Delete key thru the splash screen until the UEFI BIOS loads. In the UEFI BIOS I didn't really change any settings for the install. Just make sure the SATA is set for AHCI in the Advanced Settings.

I also unplugged all other harddrives and any USB devices except mouse / keyboard / thumb drive. In addition to unplugging all other hard drives I made sure the boot drive was plugged into the SATA II controller (light blue) and not the SATA III controller (blue or gray). I'm not sure if this is entirely needed but again I wanted it to work without to much hassle.

Next save your settings in the UEFI BIOS and reboot your computer to the thumb drive you made from the above guide. After a few moments setup should load and you'll be installing.

Post installation

Post installation is where the real magic begins. There are several subparts to this section for each part of hardware which needs a driver to function. I'll start with the most pressing drivers and move on from there. This is the order I went in to setup up my computer so I recommend following this install order.

Upon first boot you'll have to answer a few questions to set your timezone and account information. Don't be scared. Just provide the information it asks for.

Once you arrive at the desktop you'll want to install your boot loader so you can boot your system without the USB memory stick inserted. I used the same Chameleon installer .pkg that was used earlier to create the bootable memory stick (you can update Chameleon to a newer version at a later time. I couldn't get Chimera 1.5.4 to boot my system so I don't recommend it as of right now).

Next download the unified driver package from below and run it. All the drivers will be installed by default. After installing your bootloader and the driver package you should be ready to reboot without the USB memory stick inserted. Information about the individual drivers and options are outlined below.

NOTE: Video cards are beyond the scope of this guild so I'm not going to go into them. There are several great guilds for NVIDIA, ATI/AMD and Intel video on this forum. Some cards even work out of the box on Lion. YMMV but I have faith you can do it.

Network controller - I used the LNX2Mac driver as it was recently updated for Sandy Bridge and the 8111E controller. You can find it here - http://lnx2mac.blogs...osx-driver.html .

Audio - You can use the driver package below to install the kext's for sound. A note about Audio Drivers: The audio drivers in the package relies on a specific version of the AppleHDA.kext. When you update your OS version there is a chance it will overwrite the AppleHDA.kext with a newer version and kill your sound. If this happens delete AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and reboot. Once your computer comes back up re-run this driver package and reinstall the audio portion. Hopefully this will fix your sound.

Bluetooth - The bluetooth was tricky. It took some searching but there is a post on another forum (linked below) which has very detailed instructions on making it work. It appears they wrote a firmware uploader to inject the firmware for the bluetooth controller and make it magically work. Only problem is it is said to have trouble with Apple's bluetooth mouse and trackpad. I have neither of these hardware morssels so I cannot confirm or deny it. The firmware and injector is included in the unified driver package.

SATA III - Working via the kext from the driver pack below (P8P67SATAControllers.kext). I've tested the Intel 6 series SATA III controller but not the Marvell one (I have mine disabled in the UEFI). Both are listed in the kext so they should both be fine.

Using the below driver pack you should have a bootable system with SATA III, USB 3.0, sound, networking and bluetooth.

Speedstepping

under construction.

One of the more exciting features of the P8P67 motherboard is it's ability to scale the frequency of the CPU depending on system load. To me it was kind of a PITA to get working and I'm not sure if it actually functions 100% as described (it works fine!). On the positive note it doesn't hurt system stability and it get's rid of the need for the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Before we get started with the Speedstepping configuration we need to make sure we all have the needed files. Keep in mind the files are specific to the version of Lion you are using. For this guide I am using version 10.7.2 so make sure you update to 10.7.2 before going any further. It will not work on lower versions. The list of files we need are iMac12_2.plist (from aug 2010, the date is listed in the file itself), the speedstepper binary (from the forum posting listed below), the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (will be patched in a later step) and a couple entries made in your com.apple.Boot.plist or org.chameleon.Boot.plist. You will also want to have MSRDumper.kext (available form link below) on hand for diagnostic purposes. AFAIK this can be a DSDT free solution. The files you will need are linked below as well as a link to their original post:

speed_stepper_lion_1072.zip Speedstepper for 10.7.2 (beta) - Original Post by flAked

iMac12_2.plist.zip iMac12_2.plist I used. I don't remember where it came from originally.

MSRDumper.kext.zip MSRDumper. Original Post by flAked

Below are the step by steps i used to enable speed step:

1. Patch your AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext file. The explanation for this needing done is outlined in the official speedstepper thread by flAked. To patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext you'll want to make sure you have the speedstepper binary for 10.7.2 (linked above) and execute this command in the terminal

sudo ./speed_stepper_lion_1072 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Make sure you are in the same directory as the speedstepper binary before executing the command. You should notice some output form the command in the terminal letting you know it completed properly. If you get any errors check to make sure you have a virgin copy of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and make sure its the correct version (167.0.0 from 10.7.2).

2. Remove NullCPUPowermanagement.kext from either /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions. Don't delete it though, just move it to the desktop or somewhere safe. You'll need it again when it's time to upgrade to the next point release of OS X.

3. Move the iMac12_2.plist to /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/ There should already be a copy of iMac12_2.plist in the above location. Just delete it before copying or overwrite it.

4. Rebuild cache Using the Kext Wizard Application.

5. Add the following lines to your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist or /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist (depends on which one you have).

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

6. Reboot your system. If all goes well it should reboot without a kernel panic.

7. Once your system comes back up you'll want to test and see if it is scaling. To do this we need to load the MSRDumper.kext. This kext monitors the cpu and displays the current cpu multiplayer and P-state in the console's kernel log. Very handy! To load this kext you need to make sure the permissions are set properly. The owner should be root and the group should be wheel. To actually load it you will want to be in the same directory as the kext and type in

sudo kextload ./MSRDumper.kext

After the kext is loaded without errors you'll want to open the console app located at /Applications/Utilities/Console and watch it for output that looks like

Oct 21 17:01:33 rugged kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Oct 21 17:01:33 rugged kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 40 41 42

Oct 21 17:01:34 rugged kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Oct 21 17:01:34 rugged kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 40 41 42

Oct 21 17:01:34 rugged kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Oct 21 17:01:34 rugged kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 40 41 42

Oct 21 17:01:35 rugged kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Oct 21 17:01:35 rugged kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 40 41 42

sometimes it takes up to 15 mins for the scaling to happen depending on system load and number of apps open. My p-states fluctiuate between 2 and 9 different multipliers. I believe this to be normal.

UPDATE 10-26-2011 - I did some speedstep testing with Windows 7, OS X 10.7.2, and Cinebench. I appears that speedsteppig in OSX works the exact same as in Windows 7, including cpu frequency scaling. I was a little apprehensive that under OS X it wasn't actually increasing the clock speed, but it seems it is working just fine. My Cinebench CPU score in Windows was 6.72 and under OS X it was 6.55 (low speed of 1600Mhz and high speed of 4300mhz). I monitored the clock speed with the ASUS monitoring utility in Windows and it seems to report the exact information as MSRDumper under OS X. So I guess speedstep is good :)

P8P67 Driver Package (10-19-2011)

This package contains individual drivers for Audio, Lan, SATA III, USB 3.0, Bluetooth as well as the FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement kext's. It also creates a populated /Extra folder. It DOES NOT install a boot loader. You need to install the boot loader of your choice.

References

P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies.. - Excellent thread about our board. Recommended first read.

SpeedStep, AppleIntelCPUpwm, Sleep - Thread about enabling Speedstep for our board. Important for overclocking.

SpeedStepper, AICPUPM patcher for ASUS P8P67 - Official Speedstepper Thread. Important for overclocking and to get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Creating your own DSDT for most boards

DSDT for Asus P8P67, lightweight ACPI tables + knowledge base (WIP)

Bluetooth Firmware Injector

• Like 3

• 11 months later...