iDeneb + dell C521 == epic win!

phreak9i6

10 posts in this topic

Several months back I tried and failed miserably to install osx on my Dell C521. I know others have succeeded, but few have posted about it. So here's my formula for success:

First the specs:

1.9ghz AMD 64 X2

4gb of ram

512mb geforce 8600 gt (low profile)

Sigmatel 9227 audio chip

Nvidia NForce chipset (nforce4 i think)

broadcome 440x network

seems simple enough...

I started out with the iDeneb v1.3 installer dvd. Its got -ALOT- of options, my winning combination is:

-No NForce Patch (dont apply thier ISO patch)

-boot with -v -x

Customize the install with:

-AMD Patch

-AppleNForceATA Test

-9.2.0 Speedstep kernel

NVInject for the video card

Upon initial boot, I got the annoying intro video/setup loop. The resolution was simple just reboot in single user (-s) and set the root password:

#mount -uw /

#passwd

Next step was to tell the machine that the setup was done, so I touch'd /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

# touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Now I have a bootable hackpro! huzzah. But wait, sound and ethernet no worky! oh for shame!

I used the AppleHDAPAtcher_v1.16 to patch in the STAC9227 support (audio driver). After a reboot I can hear awesome apple sounds!

Now to tackle the ethernet driver, Broadcom 440x. What worked for me was the older IONetworkingFamily.kext I applied this kext and rebooted, upon startup I used the -f option to clear the kext cache.

After the reboot, I had a fully functioning (as far as I can tell anyhow) HackPro box :) I quickly copied over WoW and my developement tools which work flawlessly.

My thanks go out to the hackintosh communities and especially the group here at insanelymac for getting this going. Everything I posted here is available in other threads, but to group it nicely together for someone else might be helpful. I've also posted the specific patches I used to make this work.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

stac9227.zip

• Like 1

Hi, i have a C521 also, and the install doesn't go well for me.

partitioned it and install goes through, but on reboot it keeps saying i need to restart my comp,

and whenever i try to install the ATI HD 3650 drivers and use that vidcard it gives me the disco screen.

I have the 6150 GeForce chipset, and the nForce 410/430 onboard.

any suggestions?

very good post btw, i saw this and got all excited hahaha. only to be let down =/ hopefully i can get this figured out.

Had this problem on a number of attempts with this system.

First off, I highly suggest you ERASE the installation partition when you try to reinstall. Use the disk utility and right click your partition, choose erase. Then fresh install.

Also as I originally posted use these options under customize:

-AMD Patch

-AppleNForceATA Test

-9.2.0 Speedstep kernel

I opt'd not to select any applications, I'm not sure about the ATI card; I personally would use the onboard video to get things going, or get a nvidia chipset. I've always had bad luck with ATI and osx86.

If those options don't do it, try using the other kernels. Remember to erase the drive after each attempt to install.

If you keep booting up and get the "You must reset your computer" Try booting up with the -v -x options and see where it stops booting and what error message you get.

Ok so i got it working for the most part, i can boot into safe mode (I'm in it right now typing this), networking kext you posted works, obviously lol, the sound still not working.

did you install any audio drivers in the original install?

btw, all my hw is sata, mobo has 2 sata inputs, one for opt drive and other for hdd, no upgraded hardware cept for 2G ram, 2x1G sticks dual channeled, and my ATI Sapphire 3650 HD card, which i don't think works. i'm about to look for some drivers right now.

know any good OSx86 driver locations?

I got everything working by searching and reading on this forum.

That being said, if you read my original post I said there was an AppleHDAPAtcher_v1.16 to patch in the STAC9227 support (audio driver). The file was linked in my post. If your audio chipset is different find out what you have and search the forums for it. Although from what I could tell from Dell's website this machine shipped with the Sigmatel 9227 or the Creative Labs Audigy onboard. Mine was the Sigmatel.

Ok so i got it working for the most part, i can boot into safe mode (I'm in it right now typing this), networking kext you posted works, obviously lol, the sound still not working.

did you install any audio drivers in the original install?

btw, all my hw is sata, mobo has 2 sata inputs, one for opt drive and other for hdd, no upgraded hardware cept for 2G ram, 2x1G sticks dual channeled, and my ATI Sapphire 3650 HD card, which i don't think works. i'm about to look for some drivers right now.

know any good OSx86 driver locations?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Had this problem on a number of attempts with this system.

First off, I highly suggest you ERASE the installation partition when you try to reinstall. Use the disk utility and right click your partition, choose erase. Then fresh install.

Also as I originally posted use these options under customize:

-AMD Patch

-AppleNForceATA Test

-9.2.0 Speedstep kernel

I opt'd not to select any applications, I'm not sure about the ATI card; I personally would use the onboard video to get things going, or get a nvidia chipset. I've always had bad luck with ATI and osx86.

If those options don't do it, try using the other kernels. Remember to erase the drive after each attempt to install.

If you keep booting up and get the "You must reset your computer" Try booting up with the -v -x options and see where it stops booting and what error message you get.

I have followed your instructions to the T. I can figure out why its not working for me. I keep getting a kernel panic on boot (it tells me to restart).

I have tried several distros and its driving me crazy. Can anbody help? I am even willing to pay for help.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a c521 completely stock from dell and im attempting to follow your guide w/ideneb 1.4 dvd, but im getting a kernel panic before i can even get to the installation screen.

I've tried all commands: -x, -x -v, rdisk0s1, platform=X86PC etc no avail. Does anyone know any solution?

The hardware configuration is default. It specifically says: Debugger called: <panic>

With no -commands at the beginning (save for -v) it hangs at still waiting for root device.

• 3 weeks later...