Realtek 8101L, It works, but it's REALLY slow

3 posts in this topic

Hello there,

This is my first post, hope to find some help. I installed version 10.4.5 on a Asus P4P800-MX which has a intel 865GV chipset,, and a Realtek 8101L Pci integrated LAN. I can see the card from my system prefences, and internet works. The only problem is that it's really really slow. I'm talking about 0.1K/sec from the internet and maybe 1.1K/sec from the local network. I have also a Linksys gigabit card, but apparently it can't work with Mac OSX. I'm still trying to download the tulip.kext and giving it a shot. Anybody has ideas on the reasons why I have such lousy speed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Luca

• 4 years later...

After a little more research, I discovered that the 8101L uses the RTL8139 drivers in Windows. Hell, even the device id is 8139. So, to fix this issue, all you have to do is download the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext, remove the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext in /S/L/E/IONetworking.kext/Contents/Plugins and put the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in there. Fix permissions and reboot and you should have a fully working network card. If you would rather have a fix in /E/E you can copy the IONetworking.kext to /E/E and follow the same procedure leaving the vanilla extension alone.

Can someone please mark this post as resolved?