Leopard on an old P4

Ferpa

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys...

I have some experience, so lets get right into the point...

Its a Toshiba A25-S279

This laptop have a Pentium 4 2.8 fsb 533mhz, SSE2, no HT...

I don't know why, but this lap has a desktop processor... a really bad one by the way... but, till I get me macbook pro, it's what I have...

it has 512 of ram... 40gb of hd...

I have kalyway's 10.5.1 release...

When I try to boot the instalation, the computer just reboots at some point (when it ends to load the kexts)

i have tried every single boot option =)

-v, -x, -f, cpus=1, -legacy, etc...

alone and combined...

I just can load the damn install!

What can I do???

Hope you help me guys...

Maybe later, if it interest to anyone, i may publish a tutorial to install MacOSX (any dsitro; i used kalyway) w/o using DVDs...

economical... but the real deal is that theres a lot of people like me, that have a fully compatible P35/C2D desktop, but cant install due the jmicron ata-DVDRom bug... u'll need 2 HDs (SATA or PATA, doesnt matther) (maybe you can do it with one... but i didnt had the expertise to do it)... I used a flat-img and kalyway... !!NO VMWARE!!

soooo help me if you can.... ;)

and hype my tutorial if youre interested!

I too have this problem. I got 10.5.1 Kalyway to install on my old inspiron 1200 with a celeron, but I can't get 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 to even finish booting the install dvd on my p4 2.66ghz desktop. Which sucks, because after running OSX on my laptop, I really want it on my main pc.

it didnt boot tiger too...

and theres a lot of people that use leo on their p4s...

now, after analyzing the specs of my laptop more carefully, i presume its my "video card"...

have you ever heard of cyberalladin???

me neither...

but it should run as generic...

well... dont make a lot of sense... but its my best bet...

now im burning kaly's 10.5.2 release...

crossing fingers...

hate to burst ur bubble but how bout trying mac osx 10.4.xx as im pretty sure leopard needs a core 2 series or a pentium dual core, not Pentium D. i think that leopard needs SSE3 aswell, but not 100%.

leopard does not need a processor with SSE3 architechture. Think about all the PowerPC macs that can run leopard that are sse2 / not intel dual core chips. Plus I have had leopard on my P4 for a while and then took it off. However, i am having these problems not booting past the darwin bootload with all the new dvd's as well. i've tried booting with different kernels, but nothing helps.

leopard does not need a processor with SSE3 architechture. Think about all the PowerPC macs that can run leopard that are sse2 / not intel dual core chips. Plus I have had leopard on my P4 for a while and then took it off. However, i am having these problems not booting past the darwin bootload with all the new dvd's as well. i've tried booting with different kernels, but nothing helps.

What distro????

Alright, Leopard will work on a P4. I finally got 10.5.1 on my comp after numerous attempts with 4 different distros.

I installed iATKOS v1.0i R2 with Intel MET bootfix with the following settings:

Boot loader: Darwin x86

Patches: sse2 sse3 kernel

Drivers: the proper nvidia and proper network drivers

just that, nothing else and it worked. Sound, network, usb, all perfect. And it's blazing fast.

Well, its not all perfect, it wont boot unless the install dvd is in, but whatever not that big of a deal. And if I want windows xp to boot, I just take the dvd out. Easy.

system:

p4 2.66ghz sse2 nonhpet NO SSE3

Gigabyte 81848p-G F5

1.5 GB ram

It doesn't have to be a dual core or core 2 series chip. But OSx86 does seem to be particular (in some cases) to reseting as mentioned in this post.

2.8ghz GX-270s won't reset - they'll run the installations fine. But a 3.0ghz GX-270 will reset just like this. It all just comes down to the quarkiness of the installers right now.