Mac noob looking to build a Hackintosh from the ground up

12 posts in this topic

I was planning on building myself a desktop sometime in the summer, but I think I might go with something that will have close to 100% compatibility and be powerful.

I was planning on quad-core intel processor, GeForce 8800, 4GB Ram, etc.

Should I just stick to whatever is compatible in this list without requiring patches? http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2

I'm looking to spend around 1200 dollars

$1200 isn't that much considering that I'll be using it for rendering (Photoshop and 3ds Max).

A similar one is over 3000 dollars

• One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (quad-core)
  • 4GB (4 x 1GB)
  • 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)

Edit: I just finished looking over the one I made in my newegg wishlist and for the video card would need some nvinject patching and the motherboard would also need patching for audio to work. I could probably switch the mobo out for a more compatible one.

$1200 should get u something pretty decent

you can also use www.cyberpowerpc.com but on the web people say their customer support isn't very nice, but they have good prices for top end machines: for example:

configuring its gamer infinity 8800 pro se, which u see by scrolling down the page, you can get:

CASE: NEW!!! CoolerMaster Cosmos S Gaming Full Tower Case w/ See-Thru Side Panel (Original Color)

PSU: CoolerMaster Unit 600 Watts eXtreme Power - SLI Supports

CPU: NEW!!! (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 45NM Q9300 @ 2.5GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit

COOLING FAN: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System (Superior Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

MOTHERBOARD: (QX9650 Support) Asus P5N-D nForce 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Mushkin Brand)

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)

VIDEO CARD 2: NONE

VIDEO CARD 3: NONE

SPEAKERS: NONE

FLASH MEDIA READER/WRITER: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer

FLOPPY: NONE

LCD Monitor: NONE

HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Data Hard Drive: NONE

Optical Drive: (Special Price) 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: NONE

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

no OS, no keyboard, no mouse, but includes PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card

all for $1207.45 before tax and shipping, after applying coupon code SMARTCOMPU

This price is nice considering the parts you're getting, plus you won't have to assemble anything, but if u just want quad6600 + 8800gts g92, you can get that around $700 dollars (see below)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

check my post here too, great prices, i also included a link i used to install vista+mac, you can look for mobos that have modify-able bios at ''my digital life'' site, check its vista forum section, google it, b/c this will allow u to install genuine vista + Sp1 like leopard, i.e. free of charge lol:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=99188

hope it helps

nice link...

I'm considering liquid cooling too so I can OC but rest at ease... but I've heard that there's a high risk of leakage and therefore massive malfunction. In fact, I heard that none of the Apple execs would take a liquid cooled G5 for that same reason - because they kept breaking.

What's you guys' experience on that?

Overclocking is useless. It barely makes your system faster and it adds unnecessary heat/work to your components which in turn GREATLY reduces the lifespan of the parts.

hehe do u mean reducing lifespan from a century to a 'mere' 10 years? that would be like 90% reduction but i could still care less; since if someone's broke enough to keep a computer for 10 years...they probably wouldn't be reading this forum, or be on internet at all =)

couldn't resist so i had to post that

anyways..

• 1 month later...

lol actually i have a 10-year old computer that still works...its an anciend dell dimension. nobody uses it though, the computer i use is one i built in august thats non-hackintosh-compatible (:) 9600gt graphix)

Asus P5k boards are good. The Deluxe or the WIFIAP are very well supported. If not any of the Giga p35 (DS3P or DS4) are good too.

Get the q6600 or q9300, don't worry about overclocking, it's really fast already.

8800GTS for sure. 8800GT is good, but hard to configure.

Minimum 4GB ram.

I love when people say "$1300, buy a mac!" So you can get a slow mobile based dual core, with 2gb of ram and a puny hard drive, with absolutely no ability to expand what so ever.