Windows user - not really.

sxjthefirst

13 posts in this topic

In the lst 12 months due to "instability" at work I had to change laptops 3 times. (I will doing so again as I am moving to a new job in May.) This is how it goes. After configuring the basics and setting up the work related stuff (or before :poster_oops: )...

(In no particular order.)

1. I download and install Firefox. Don't use IE much.

2. I install Textpad a way better tool than Notepad.

3. Get Google Talk, Yahoo and Skype -don't use Windows Messenger.

4. Install ITunes and VLC Player - I even forgot Windows Media Player looks like.

5. Get Google Updater and install Picasa, Google Firefox Toolbar.

6. Install Google Desktop Search - would be lost without it.

7. Get WinRAR - the built in compression just won't do.

8. GIMP - MS Paint doesn't have much to offer.

In addition to these I install FileZilla, BitTorrent, Eclipse - all of them free downloads.

I use Outlook for work email but for all else I use Gmail.

My Google Reader is where I read my RSS feeds.

My bookmarks are in Google Bookmarks.

Other than MS Office I hardly use any of the software that comes with Windows. I could go with OpenOffice if if didn't come preinstalled. So can I ask for just the basic OS and a discount :)

Am I really using Windows? Seems more like Windows is a kernel with all my other apps on top of it.

As much as you seem to want to deny it, I am sorry to tell you, but YES you are still definitely running Windows.

All the things you described above are just merely applications that allow you to get productive (or unproductive) things done. The OS (no matter who makes it) just facilitates those programs by giving them a platform to run on.

Windows (and any OS for that matter) is way more than just a kernel. Yes, the kernel may be at the very core and is essential to the correct (or in some cases, incorrect) operation of the OS, but there are numerous events and services that an average user of a personal computer just doesn't realize.

So can you ask for just the basic OS and a discount? Well, no. Why? because you are getting the basic OS, but Microsoft (or whoever may make a particular OS) threw in some extra to get you started. I also seriously recommend that you try WMP 11 if you already haven't. It is so much better than WMP 10 by leaps and bounds, and in my honest opinion is the best media player out there (considering its diversity and functionality).

Now, if the above post was a joke. No, your not using Windows, just a whole bunch of random applications. :(

As much as you seem to want to deny it, I am sorry to tell you, but YES you are still definitely running Windows.

All the things you described above are just merely applications that allow you to get productive (or unproductive) things done. The OS (no matter who makes it) just facilitates those programs by giving them a platform to run on.

Windows (and any OS for that matter) is way more than just a kernel. Yes, the kernel may be at the very core and is essential to the correct (or in some cases, incorrect) operation of the OS, but there are numerous events and services that an average user of a personal computer just doesn't realize.

So can you ask for just the basic OS and a discount? Well, no. Why? because you are getting the basic OS, but Microsoft (or whoever may make a particular OS) threw in some extra to get you started. I also seriously recommend that you try WMP 11 if you already haven't. It is so much better than WMP 10 by leaps and bounds, and in my honest opinion is the best media player out there (considering its diversity and functionality).

Now, if the above post was a joke. No, your not using Windows, just a whole bunch of random applications. :P

how come WMP 11 is the best player when it does not even support wide screen...

you may be right if the the looks is the only thing that matters you however i would recommend that you use gomplayer (gomplayer.com) or give a try to vlc lan....

IMPHO GOM Player (and VLC too if you can live with its ugly looks) is outstanding and way forward than any other media player...

lol again free/non-microsoft stuff... but whatever i love and prefer MS OS.

I have WMP 11 and it doesn't paly half the files I have. Try VLC it plays almost anything you throw at it. It can even play damaged or half downloaded files most of the time. Plus it allows conversion from one format to another, screen grabs and more. Ok it does look rather plain but I am going to see the film not the player!

Well the last line and the title were meant to be jojke but the fact is I hardly use any of MS software that comes with Windows.

I have WMP 11 and it doesn't paly half the files I have. Try VLC it plays almost anything you throw at it. It can even play damaged or half downloaded files most of the time. Plus it allows conversion from one format to another, screen grabs and more. Ok it does look rather plain but I am going to see the film not the player!

Well the last line and the title were meant to be jojke but the fact is I hardly use any of MS software that comes with Windows.

I do not mean that Windows Media Player 11 is the best media player in terms of playing all video files, I mean as a total package. I personally love VLC, I use it as my main media player on my server / multimedia box in my bedroom (mainly because Windows Server 2003 doesn't support WMP 11). I also have it installed on all my operating systems as a universal media player backup.

But VLC doesn't offer many things that I find essential (or in a matter that makes it point and click easy). VLC can't share media with my Xbox 360, it does not have a feature where extensive libraries can be kept for video, audio, pictures, etc., it does not have a sleek interface by default, it doesn't have a quick and easy utility to burn a cd real quick (rarely do, but besides the point), it can't minimize to the Taskbar with controls, and many other things that just aren't coming to mind right now. Basically, just numerous little things that I find essential in consideration to my main media player.

I love VLC, but in total, as a whole package, WMP 11 is by far more complete, in my opinion.

7zip is freeware and I like it more than winRAR.

Also, how can someone consciously use iTunes for Windows... this was the reason I got into OSx86 from the start, to use the Mac iTunes for my iPod since I refused to install iTunes for Windows.

I also think you don't really understand what "using an OS" means.

how come WMP 11 is the best player when it does not even support wide screen...

you may be right if the the looks is the only thing that matters you however i would recommend that you use gomplayer (gomplayer.com) or give a try to vlc lan....

IMPHO GOM Player (and VLC too if you can live with its ugly looks) is outstanding and way forward than any other media player...

lol again free/non-microsoft stuff... but whatever i love and prefer MS OS.

i tried gom player but zoom player professional is even better. zoom player doesn't suffer from "i can't see the picture except for funny lookin' pixels and fuzziness" whenever i try to rewind/fast forward my anime so that i can read the subtitles 'cause they disappeared before i could finish readin' them like vlc player (i still have vlc player installed tho').

(In no particular order.)

1. I download and install Firefox. Don't use IE much.

2. I install Textpad a way better tool than Notepad.

3. Get Google Talk, Yahoo and Skype -don't use Windows Messenger.

4. Install ITunes and VLC Player - I even forgot Windows Media Player looks like.

5. Get Google Updater and install Picasa, Google Firefox Toolbar.

6. Install Google Desktop Search - would be lost without it.

7. Get WinRAR - the built in compression just won't do.

8. GIMP - MS Paint doesn't have much to offer.

In addition to these I install FileZilla, BitTorrent, Eclipse - all of them free downloads.

I use Outlook for work email but for all else I use Gmail.

My Google Reader is where I read my RSS feeds.

My bookmarks are in Google Bookmarks.

And where's Cygwin on that list? :-P

Err, anyway, you ARE using Windows, but you CAN improve it [*] with apps like:

http://fravia.2113.ch/bangla.htm

http://www.opensourcewindows.org/

[*] by dumping that horrible Outlook and using Thunderbird, also

That is exactly the way i use my PC now, except i use pidgin instead of WLM.

Itd be even better if i could get osx86 to work on my machine.....

Pidgin is by far the best third party instant messenging application for any operating system (only available on Linux and Windows though). If you haven't tried it, you are missing out. Once you with the Pidgin, you will forget everything else...

Try replacing all of those instant messaging clients with Pidgin, its great free software :( You're using Windows, whether you like it or not. Based on the apps you're using, however, I would recommend trying Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. You may find the grass greener.

Pidgin is by far the best third party instant messenging application for any operating system (only available on Linux and Windows though). If you haven't tried it, you are missing out. Once you with the Pidgin, you will forget everything else...

Well, Adium is based on libpurple so it is Pidgin like in that way. But I completely agree, Pidgin is clean, simple, functional and lightweight.

Try replacing all of those instant messaging clients with Pidgin, its great free software :( You're using Windows, whether you like it or not. Based on the apps you're using, however, I would recommend trying Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. You may find the grass greener.

Well, Adium is based on libpurple so it is Pidgin like in that way. But I completely agree, Pidgin is clean, simple, functional and lightweight.

I use Adium for OS X, so I guess you could say I perfer it number 2 to Pidgin.