10.5.2 problem list & FSB reporting incorrectly [SOLVED]

00diabolic

70 posts in this topic

And one for FSB of 1333. AppleSMBIOS.kext.zipTell me how they work. Does it gives any better speed in use as well?If they work I will add an option to set the FSB without hardcodiing in the kext.

thank you!

it works at 1.33GHz FSB, CPU speed from 2.33GHz down to 2.3GHz.

Benchmarked Xbench, Geekbench, Cinebench, not much speed boost.

Xbench, stay around the same.

Geekbench, gain +100 average, from 63xx to 65xx now with 3 run.

Cinebench, -3xx point on multiple CPU. slower?!

kernel console message:

kernel SMBIOS: No FSB received - using hardcoded valueSMBIOS: No FSB received - using hardcoded valueApple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=COMA

I will test on another machine running E8500, 3.16GHz, will report again.

thanks!

Ok, that is an easy fix. I use my own smbios, which have the fixes from macdotnub and some more I made for my laptop (thats why you get that cpu freq). I don't know what fixes netkas made he hasn't released his sources, tell me if anything is not working.Ok here is a new one with hopefully more sane GHz for your cpu. AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip Tell me how they work. Does it gives any better speed in use as well?If they work I will add an option to set the FSB without hardcodiing in the kext.

Ok back to normal & it all works

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.68E

My geekbench scores are the same with the -g flag. So no change which is good. I got a 2438 with -g and 2442 with your SMBIOS (that is the highest I have ever gotten). Without either I get like 1500-1600 which is terrible. I also noticed that other things are working & responding a little better then they did before.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

kernel console message:

kernel SMBIOS: No FSB received - using hardcoded valueSMBIOS: No FSB received - using hardcoded valueApple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=COMA

Where did you find this info? I went looking through the console for this on my system and could not find it. Can you share how you got that?

THANKS

kernel console message:

This message I added to the source to indicate that the SMBIOS in your BIOS does not report your FSB. I realize that I forgot to add "\n" at the end of the text. lol. So you don't get the lineshift.

Where did you find this info? I went looking through the console for this on my system and could not find it. Can you share how you got that?

THANKS

yea, I search that on Console.

anyway, tested 1333FSB on E8500 3.16GHz, it was report at 0MHz FSB with Vanilla kernel, now it works and reported at 1.33GHz with Superhai's SMBIOS.

but benchmark with Xbench, geekbench and cinebench, no speed improve.

thanks again, Superhai!

really nice to see it works for you kilven! :)

my bug was based on something else, so regarding to that I don't expect any improvements on my system, but how do you know it's really set properly and not just cosmetics?

lets say my fsb ist set and works right but displayed incorrectly! by making it show as it should(cosmetically or not) threre wouldn't be any difference!

is the sysctl output independent of the e.g "about this mac" one?

if so then then I could get my system a bit faster!

and could you then also make one for me superhai!

i know you don't have to bother with ppl like me but it would be very very appreciated!

dual core 1.73 ghz and 533 mhz bus freq.! in cpuz fsb is 533 and bus frequency 133!

peace!

really nice to see it works for you kilven! :)

my bug was based on something else, so regarding to that I don't expect any improvements on my system, but how do you know it's really set properly and not just cosmetics?

lets say my fsb ist set and works right but displayed incorrectly! by making it show as it should(cosmetically or not) threre wouldn't be any difference!

is the sysctl output independent of the e.g "about this mac" one?

if so then then I could get my system a bit faster!

and could you then also make one for me superhai!

i know you don't have to bother with ppl like me but it would be very very appreciated!

dual core 1.73 ghz and 533 mhz bus freq.! in cpuz fsb is 533 and bus frequency 133!

peace!

The sysctl output is the same as about this mac, they both show the same system info. Go to console and search SMBIOS after a fresh restart and see what is says in there about your FSB.

If both of these elements are true then you may need a hardcoded FSB.

If it says its using default FSB in SMBIOS entry in console.

And If your bus is not clocking where it should be and you need to use one of the kernel flags to get it to clock properly.

To determine if your bus is not clocking where it should be run geekbench or xbench and compare it to the results in windows install. Geekbench is for both windows and OSX. You should get results slightly better in OSX.

I see a pretty big difference when using the -g flag (which only works with hacked kernel, im using netkas 9.2.0 SS kernel) or the hardcoded SMBIOS. I go from 1600 upto 2440 with the bus clocking where it should be.

Hope that helps.

first thank you both for replying!

@00diabolic

comparing win and osx geekbench is a good point! :(

I searched in console for smbios entry but didn't find anything(except showing that i was repairing permissions)

@superhai

about this mac shows bus freq 533mhz ;)

but my geekbenchscore are very low now especially the floiting point one(its nearly half as I had it).

tried -y and fsb=133 flags on sleepkernel!

will try later at night when I come home with other kernels and other possibilities and post back for news and ioreg sometextfiles!

smbios with editing plist sounds great!

thank you soo much

til later

FSB of 533 MHz AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

I will make later a version where you can set the FSB through editing the plist.

Can all of you also do a ioreg -lw0 |grep "SMBIOS" >sometextfile.txt and post it for me.

Here is my SMBIOS output superhai. It would be great if we could get a adjustable FSB through a simple plist edit. Can you do the same with the CPU speed though?

One of my friends has his bus correct but his CPU shows at 900mhz upto 1ghz at load and he has a 2.1ghz. Hes on a Dell vostro 1700 so I told him to use your SMBIOS as it might just work outright. Since you also have a Dell. He has not gotten it fully working yet.

SMBIOS.txt

HI !

Thank you for the hard work !

My experience with the 533 hardcoded AppleSMBios :

Vanilla AppleSMBios :

About this mac reported correct memory bus: 533 but system profiler reported 100 MHz bus.

sysctl -a | grep freq reported :

kern.exec: unknown type returned

hw.busfrequency = 100000000

hw.cpufrequency = 1600000000

hw.tbfrequency = 1000000000

hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000

hw.cpufrequency_max: 1600000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 1600000000

hw.cpufrequency: 1600000000

hw.busfrequency_max: 100000000

hw.busfrequency_min: 100000000

hw.busfrequency: 100000000

I tryed the kernel flags on diffrent kernels with no effect what so ever.

Now the results with the hardcoded AppleSMBios :

About this mac AND System profiler report the correct bus : 533 MHz.

sysctl -a | grep freq reports :

kern.exec: unknown type returned

hw.busfrequency = 533000000

hw.cpufrequency = 1600000000

hw.tbfrequency = 1000000000

hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000

hw.cpufrequency_max: 1600000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 1600000000

hw.cpufrequency: 1600000000

hw.busfrequency_max: 533000000

hw.busfrequency_min: 533000000

hw.busfrequency: 533000000

So I am guessing that the problem has been corrected with the hardcoded AppleSMBios.

Here is the requested ioreg dump : SMBIOS_533.txt

Also here are the XBench results for the CPU & Memory sections:

Vanilla AppleSMBios:

CPU Test 68.47

Thread Test 117.97

Memory Test 104.56

Hardcoded AppleSMBios:

CPU Test 68.87

Thread Test 139.30

Memory Test 104.53

the results are obtained using vanilla 9.2.2 kernel ( switching kernels did not do any diffrence in my case )

.... so there is a diffrence in performance , but a little diffrence only , not as stellar as eveyone else reported ... wonder why ?

Anyway , thank you very much for the hard work for the community!

Marius

It is odd that there are so many different results from setting the FSB value. Just remember that the value must be the same that you have set in your bios. And I guess also what is set in the kernel.

I can't set such values in my bios, because I don't have such options (and I have the latest biosupdate for my laptop)!

regarding to value in the kernel, do you mean that i should get with sysctl other ones than these?

kern.clockrate: hz = 100, tick = 10000, profhz = 100, stathz = 100

kern.clockrate: { hz = 100, tick = 10000, tickadj = 1, profhz = 100, stathz = 100 }

so, on an other partition I have with the smbios -I think the one set by kaly 10.5.1- geekbench scores about 2200 and thats what I usualy got on the one I'm doing experiments! I figured out that now regardles of which smbios and kernel I use I'm geting GB scores about 1400, so I think I somehow messed up the system on my partition for experiments! will do fresh instal and see what I get!

;) tried GB in windows and got 1800 :P

will post back in!

fresh install with sleepkernel, lets me use all flags(without causing a reboot).

I have good geekbench scores and the same regardless of the smbios or flags I use!

bus freq shows 533 so THANK YOU!

but I don't have the serial displayed! is it needed? when why where?

ioreg -low ... doesn't show anything with your smbios and with the other one I get "iguru"!

I don't know how to extract the needed entry from the Ioreg browser! sorry beeing a noob but I need some help on this!

regarding to the kernel clock, can I set/edit it somewhere? would be great to know!

thank you again!

If you can't set FSB frequency in bios then it is ok then you can't change it. The serialnumber don't show up because I have a serial number in my smbios but in yours is not so there is a dummy. Next version I make I will add a proper dummy for those who haven't one. Only app I know who have problem is secondlife, you could try and see if it crashes for you.

If you can't set FSB frequency in bios then it is ok then you can't change it. The serialnumber don't show up because I have a serial number in my smbios but in yours is not so there is a dummy. Next version I make I will add a proper dummy for those who haven't one. Only app I know who have problem is secondlife, you could try and see if it crashes for you.

Superhai-- You asked us to include a readout of our SMBIOS. I attached mine a few posts back. What was that for? Was it just to help you build the next version?

THANKS

Superhai-- You asked us to include a readout of our SMBIOS. I attached mine a few posts back. What was that for? Was it just to help you build the next version?

THANKS

Yes, I wanted to see what values the various SMBIOS' is providing. Maybe the current clocks are reported in other parts.

regarding to the much better geekbench scores between win and osx, could it be that my system is overclocked?

I mean 1800 in win and 2200 in osx! is this only the operatating system? hm..

Yeah that is he same differential I get about 3-400 difference between the two os's.

Just shows how much better osx is!

Ok, this should be hardcoded to 800MHz if it doesn't receive a FSB from SMBIOS.: (try it at own risk)
Hello Superhai.I seem to have the same problem as Diabolic. I´ve got a Santa Rosa laptop // Chipset 965m ich-8m // fsb 800 // 2 Gig Ram @ 667 // Core2Due @ 2.0. I´ve tried all the kext you´ve provided and my system profiler always shows Mac Pro (never Mac Book), processor is recognized, Ram is OK, FSB speed is always 100.Also same problem with laptop thinking it´s always on battery. I´ve tried the solution you gave Diabolic, installed the powermanagement bundle but still always on battery as shown on slimbatterymonitor.Last, how can I know if speedstep is working, I have 9.2.0 speedstep kernel, but I thing I´m always at top speed of 2 Ghz.By the way my install is Leo4allv3If you have a moment I´d appreciate it. Thaks a lot.
Yes, I wanted to see what values the various SMBIOS' is providing. Maybe the current clocks are reported in other parts.
Hello Superhai.I seem to have the same problem as Diabolic. I´ve got a Santa Rosa laptop // Chipset 965m ich-8m // fsb 800 // 2 Gig Ram @ 667 // Core2Due @ 2.0. I´ve tried all the kext you´ve provided and my system profiler always shows Mac Pro (never Mac Book), processor is recognized, Ram is OK, FSB speed is always 100.Also same problem with laptop thinking it´s always on battery. I´ve tried the solution you gave Diabolic, installed the powermanagement bundle but still always on battery as shown on slimbatterymonitor.Last, how can I know if speedstep is working, I have 9.2.0 speedstep kernel, but I thing I´m always at top speed of 2 Ghz.By the way my install is Leo4allv3If you have a moment I´d appreciate it. Thaks a lot.

Ahh yes see my posts and superhai posts here to resolve your powermgmt issues. They are on the last few pages. Look for my name or superhai

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0425&st=160

That was so annoying till i got it fixed. Now my machine knows when its on AC vs on Battery.

You can also get the SMBIOS posted on this thread to get rid of the FSB reporting issue.

Hello !

I just noticed this thread and I think it could be a solution to the problem I mentioned elsewhere :

I finally got OsX installed on my Fujitsu Siemens Laptop xa1526. (MCP51, AMD TurionX2-64)

The problem is : The System feels like in slowmotion.

It seems like the fsb ist not detected correctly by the kernel, because when I check the actual speed of fsb with the method mentioned here : http://george.zjlotto.com/index.php/2007/0...t-fsb-for-os-x/

I get 33 MHz as a result which is defintely too slow, as the turion runs normally at 200x4 Mhz fsb - so this would explain why the system is in slow motion.

Best example is Quake3 - it runs with qe/ci and sound enabled, but it feels and looks like slow motion.

I have tried to work with the fsb=200 boot parameter, but it seems the kernel doesn't care for it.

The other kernel parameters like -g e.g don't work either.

Can a hardcoded smbios be the solution to my problerms ?

Hello !

I just noticed this thread and I think it could be a solution to the problem I mentioned elsewhere :

I finally got OsX installed on my Fujitsu Siemens Laptop xa1526. (MCP51, AMD TurionX2-64)

The problem is : The System feels like in slowmotion.

It seems like the fsb ist not detected correctly by the kernel, because when I check the actual speed of fsb with the method mentioned here : http://george.zjlotto.com/index.php/2007/0...t-fsb-for-os-x/

I get 33 MHz as a result which is defintely too slow, as the turion runs normally at 200x4 Mhz fsb - so this would explain why the system is in slow motion.

Best example is Quake3 - it runs with qe/ci and sound enabled, but it feels and looks like slow motion.

I have tried to work with the fsb=200 boot parameter, but it seems the kernel doesn't care for it.

The other kernel parameters like -g e.g don't work either.

Can a hardcoded smbios be the solution to my problerms ?

You need to swtich out your kernel with the speedstep kernel. You should be on that anyway with an AMD system.

You can get the Speedstep kernel from here

Then try the flags for front side bus. Those flags are only for the hacked kernels. See my list here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=99891

Then once you get your fsb right I would then go to mac.nubs or superhai pages to get a locked FSB SMBIOS.

However the flags if added to your com.apple.boot.plist might be enough for you.

See what happens with the right kernel and those flags first.