Advice in Buying a New Laptop

9 posts in this topic

I'm travelling in the near future and i'm going to change my pc. Today i have a home desktop with mac os x and vista dual booting. The fact is that i want to but a laptop with the price of 1700 dollars max. I would prefer to be a normal laptop rather than a macbook or mac pro. I was thinking of a 13" screen, with a amd or core 2 duo. Can someone give me some advice in models based in this criteria ?

Thanks in anticipation

Is there any particular reason you want a "normal" laptop rather than a MacBook (which is a normal laptop)? The MacBook fits all of the criteria you listed (Runs MacOS and Windows, 13", Core 2 Duo, less than $1700), and starts at $600 less than the price limit you listed.

After a few "runins" trying to get a great deal on a Mackbook @ eBay, I opted for a HP DV6716ez, a model in Switzerland!

Given the fact that I was willing to tinker a bit, I got it up and running without much of an issue! Most drivers are available and with just a small issue with the GMAX3100 graphics, which is now sorted, I have a fully functional Macbook!

for $1132.00 I got 1,8 Core 2 Duo, 15,4"Wide Brightbild, 160GB, 4GB, DVD±R DL, BCM94312 Wireless, HP Webcam, Trackpad, IR Remote, and a Deskjet F2180! I see you can also get a similar model with Bluetooth but I stripped one out of an Acer that I had, or just get a USB dongle!

The good thing is everything works!

My advice, If you don't mind the hassles of setting it up, the something in this line is fine

I'm travelling in the near future and i'm going to change my pc. Today i have a home desktop with mac os x and vista dual booting. The fact is that i want to but a laptop with the price of 1700 dollars max. I would prefer to be a normal laptop rather than a macbook or mac pro. I was thinking of a 13" screen, with a amd or core 2 duo. Can someone give me some advice in models based in this criteria ?

Thanks in anticipation

the problem of the macbook is running vista and other grafic programs.

I'm not sure about it, but vista is fully compactable with macbook ? (Delete and other keys)

The grafic card can run photoshop and autocad (in both systems)?

lastly, is possible to set vista do default boot in macbook ?

thanks

the problem of the macbook is running vista and other grafic programs.

I'm not sure about it, but vista is fully compactable with macbook ? (Delete and other keys)

The grafic card can run photoshop and autocad (in both systems)?

lastly, is possible to set vista do default boot in macbook ?

thanks

Yep, a macbook would work with Vista fine. Not sure about autocad, but photoshop will run. And it is possible to default boot to Vista, just go into system prefs > startup disk, and choose your windows partition as the default drive.

costs more for less?
another classic pc fanboy coming down on apple products... i've explained the philosophy of apple so many times i'm sick of it...

Ok after all this coment i revised again and i'm always buying the black macbook.

question:

Is there a way to adapt the multi-touch pad to the macbook ?

It really worths it ?

Thanks

as of right now the macbook doesn't have multi-touch, it will must likely get it this summer or fall, but idk if you wanna wait that long.

(full macbook and macbook pro overhauls are expected by next chrismas, whole new design and everything)