Possible DVD installation bypass

10 posts in this topic

I think i may have found a solution to bypass the dvd entirely. read about it at http://www.research.gwgaming.net/wiki/inde...p?title=Booting

here is a copy of what i had to say. (Please follow the above link for a more up to date version)

this is what i was referring to in irc. a method to bypass the disk.

basically. what you can do is boot a pc. install darwin 8 on it. upgrade that to 8.1. then take out the hd. hook it up to a mac (firewire/internal whatever). Then you install Tiger directly on to the hfs partition from the mounted image using 1 of two methods (listed below). once you install that on the darwin disk the machine *should* have all the universal binaries in all the right places. Even rosetta will be installed. The moment of truth comes when you boot up that machine and see how far it gets. (don't expect it to go all the way). it will likely poop out similar to mactel base. but this would be a considerable step forward. To all those withusable pc, please give it a try and report back. I can explain how to use pacifist or an alternative technique when you get there.

the following are the two methods for installing onto an x86 darwin partition from a mac. In no particular order. if the option one doesnt work, reformat and try option 2.or vice-versa. TRY BOTH!

OPTION 1. Use pacifist in a similar way to how people installed tiger without a dvd drive url=http://www.charlessoft.com/. you may need to read up on this technique a little.

OPTION 2. Install it directly from installer.app using(double click) the package at the following location "(Install dvd)/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg" by double clicking.

**UPDATE** Then the most important part (which i didn't mention before). Put the hd back in the intel machine. See how far it gets. Believe it or not. the install scripts are the same!!! It won't know the difference. The binaries are almost all universal.

good luck guys

yay i havnt read what you said yet cuz its so long but looks promising :P

*edit*

yeah and when you do that you hit us non mac owners up okay

Keep an eye on this forum and both wikis. We have numerous awesome people going in the right direction. Give them time :). It's sad I am going out of town for 10 days so i can't help :P

~David H

the other tip on the wiki about using a hex editor to bypass the hardware check when you try to boot from the dvd was mildly interesting. i tried it, and i got the silvery apple startup screen, in vmware. but it then hung waiting for root device.

if i had lots of spare dvd-rs i would burn it and try booting it on my acctual pc, purely for the curiosity value of how far it would boot.

You REALLY need to change the thread title. This thread isn't very helpful and I don't see the promise in installing it on a PPC mac as it will be different then the dev kits.

Take a look at the update to the original post. that should clarify things for you. This is intended to be booted on intel machines. It just uses a mac+ppc to do the installation

Another method to bypass DVD installation is to install Darwin 8.1 beforehand. Then burn the Maklar image. On the DVD, there should be a couple of installation with .pkg extensions. If you browse through them you will notice that they are in .pax.gz archive form. If you gunzip and pax unarchive them in / then you should be able to get a fully functioning system without having to swap HDs or hacking the DVD.