Script question

eddie11c

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to add a script into an installer to make an alias. Can I not use the ln command in bash? if so is the usage different somehow? ln -s <target> <alias> is what i have tried, I get no error during the script, but also don't see any alias output. I can do the command just fine in terminal and I do require root authorization. Any ideas? I want to create an alias as opposed to installing a premade one..

During my custom install DVD I want to create some alias'. I tried ln -s "$3/target" "$3/alias", and even tried pointing to the ln command /bin/ln, it doesn't spit out any errors about not finding the file or that it already exists, but yet there is no output that I can see. Maybe my syntax is incorrect. If you could post an example of what is working?

Lets make up a file called test that is located in /System/Library/Filesystems/Example of the target Volume $3 and want an alias created in the same volume in /usr/bin. ln -s "$3/System/Library/Filesystems/Example/test" "$3/usr/bin/test" but this is not working. Any help would be appreciated.

Where in the installer will this command being called from?

InstallationCheck

VolumeCheck

preflight

postflight...Etc

Is volume referenced by $3 definitely mounted at the point in time in question?

When I said it was working in bash and sh, that was just a quick test from a shell script on my desktop, not from a running Installer. I will try again from my live/install memory stick.

• 2 years later...