Hacking Software Update?

hogfan

2 posts in this topic

Hey, I was wondering if there is some type of workaround to keep Sofware Update from finding BAD updates....major updates, or updates like Time Machine Update, or Graphics update that can break our Hackintosh installs. I'm not trying to keep the updater from finding the updates period, but once I uncheck the box and choose not to install a particular update in Software Update, I don't want to see it again. ie. Microsoft's Windows Update has an option that allows you to choose to hide certain updates that you don't want it to prompt you for again. The only idea I've had so far is to trick Leopard into thinking that the update is already installed, and therefore won't find the update when running Software Update. If you go to your Leopard System Preferences, and then look at Software Update, you can view a list of installed updates. I'm thinking that maybe if we can find where is info is stored, we could simply add entries for the BAD Updates. This way, software update would think the updates we don't want to install are already installed, and therefore won't prompt us to install them anymore.....removing the chance of accidentally installing an update you don't want when it still keeps showing up when you check for updates. Just an idea, maybe there is an easier way. Anybody know if Software Update uses some type of catalog file or something to keep track of installed updates?Nevermind.........it is way easier! Didn't think to look in the top menu bar for Software update. That Ignore option works good! :)