PowerMac 6100 ---> Ubuntu Box

cringemaster

6 posts in this topic

Well I don't know if anyone remembers, but I was asking a bunch of questions about putting some generic pc parts into an older mac. If my budget allowed, I'd be out buying a bunch of stuff off newegg and building a really nice hack out of it, but since its not, I tore apart an IBM ThinkCentre at school with 256 mb of ram and a 1.2 Ghz (I think) Intel Celeron until I can grab some better parts.

Sadly because of size constraints, I'll end up cutting up the old pizza-box case to allow for clearance for the CPU and PSU fans. As soon as I can figure out why the video card wont boot Ubuntu properly, I'll use it as a server and to learn a little bit about linux.

EDIT: Maybe if it has SSE2 I can try installing tiger on it

EDIT2: no SSE2 sadly...

I've been working on it on and off at school since thursday. Heres to turning a really sluggish 66 mhz brick into a somewhat slow intel box. -_-

I'll bring some pics home tomorrow as I start to finish it.

Heres those pics.

Top view, note the polycarbonate window (used to patch an old hole, cut back into for PSU fan clearance)

Photo-0001.jpg

A closer look at my handiwork with a CNC milling machine

Photo-0005.jpg

Nicely stuffed in there, zip-ties are a amazing.

Photo-0006.jpg

Zip ties even hold in the motherboard. Its officially an Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghz with 256 mb of ram. XP FLP runs pretty slick, I cant imagine how Ubuntu will.

Photo-0007.jpg

Hard drive is a 40 GB IBM deskstar, optical drive is a Lite-On DVD-ROM/CD-RW, more than enough, and small too.

Photo-0008.jpg

Ah, the memories...

Photo-0002.jpg

THe I/O is kind of messy, but its solid and works well enough.

Photo-0010.jpg

I couldn't rig up the old power button, and I didn't need a floppy drive.

Photo-0004.jpg

PSU fit pretty cleanly, but had to cut away some plastic for that metal tab I bent back.

Photo-0009.jpg

A working power light. That was fun soldering.

Photo-0011.jpg

Its not a crazy cool mod like some other people here have done with G4 and G5 cases, but I like it for its dated, yet simple and timeless styling. Its also incredibly quiet and runs pretty cool. Besides, I have a fetish for low-profile cases :(

Woah dude...good job! Keep up the good work! :(

By the way, do all the ports work on the back?

Thanks.

Yeah, everything works, even though the plate is bent. I had to bend the bottom of it where the metal flange is so that it would slid under the bottom of the case. The motherboard is screwed down onto a .21" thick sheet of acrylic and the acrylic is zip tied in two spots and pulls it towards the inside of the case. I do have to make a new back plate, so I'm waiting for some new materials.