No admin access or ability to use terminal

kurick

3 posts in this topic

Ok, I finnaly got OS X running on my PC hardware.

The problem I am havin now is I no longer have admin access to install software, or making system changes, liek the date and time.

My persoanal account says it's an admin account, but when I am doing something that prompts me for a username or password, it wont accept it.

Usually the name field is allready filled in, but now it is blank. When I put in my username and password it says:

"You must type an administrator's name and password to make changes to system preferences."

If I try typing "Administrator" for the username it says the invalid username or password. This happens if I use my user account password or leave it blank. Admin as a username does not work either.

Also, some programs like Terminal will no longer run. They icon for them is a defualt apllications icon. When I double click on it, nothing happens, no error.

Does anyone have any idea's?

• 6 months later...

i'll bump this up as i have a similar problem. after a failed 10.5.5 update and a leo4all reinstall (upgrade, not clean install) it boots up and works perfectly until i have some admin task to do... like disk utility or preferences. when i'm prompted for a password i enter my normal one (the one that i chose upon user creation, with full admin privileges) and i get the invalid user/pass error. i tried resetting the pass from the leopard disk but that doesn't seem to work either.

Can anyone please help us?

The standard admin account for OSX (and any linux system btw) is "root". You have to login as that and reset your settings there, like this:

1. Run single user mode using the -s flag while booting i.e. type -s at the "boot:" prompt and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear (I had to boot -s twice and press Enter after the static cursor appeared to get the prompt; you may not need to), type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for ":/ root#" to re-appear.

2. Mount the file system by typing "mount -uw /" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

3. Change the root password by typing "passwd root" at the ":/ root#" prompt and then typing in a new root password and retyping it again as requested.

4. Create the .AppleSetupDone file by typing

"touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt

5. Boot the system by typing "exit" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

Then you should be able to do those admin-only tasks using the root username and password - beware, though, if your password doesn't work in the admin login box, check your key mappings by typing the password in the username box and see if they match. i have a problem with this and my current install. (i.e. i key and replaced with ' (apostrophe) key, symbols above number keys are switched around, etc.)