Boot Time

AcidRain9

13 posts in this topic

what kind of questions is this?!

well, i've heard of people going up to 300km/h with their motorcycle. but mine only goes 270km/h. so, how is it done i could ask? ;)

but since you were asking...

1. get more memory

2. get a faster cpu, more cores, more cpu's

3. get faster harddrives

4. reduce the number of services starting on booting

there are numerous things that can be done but there is no 'uri geller' kind of magic to it.

to sum it up: simply pimp your system!

oh, and my system even boots in just 9 seconds. was just measuring it.

1gb of ram is nearly nothing anymore for today.

e.g.: i have 4gb of ram, a quad-core-cpu clocked at 3.2ghz per core (many people even have two of those monsters) and a wd-raptor making 10.000rpm.

so, there are definately things you can do. much more memory would be my first guess but as i said: simply pimp your system.

it is nothing? i believe my pc runs fine all the os i have tested. from ubuntu to xp. from vista to osx. my question is ONLY boot time.

also, i can't afford to buy a quad-core neither I can have 4gbs of ram in a developing country, I'm sorry if Apple and pc developers does not care a lot about my country.

Just think before saying that you have a monster computer because sometimes ppl cant afford this.

oh, i definately know that. didn't mean to offend you. i was just trying to make clear to you that with the proper and therefore expensive system, everything (of course) can be possible. you could even go and buy so called solid state disks (about $ 1.000 for a somewhat tiny 30gb or so) with access times far under a milisecond and trasnfer rates up to 100mb/s and more but well, I CANNOT AFFORD SOMETHING LIKE THAT, too.

so what. people with a lot of money drive fast, while others (count me in myself) simply can't afford that speed and have to go by bus or train.

you (acidrain) were asking for a tutorial, there is just none. i gave you ideas what can be done. that it will cost money is, well, not my problem - you're right.

and besides: look a bit around in the signatures of that people here. most people use systems with 2gb or more today.

oh, i definately know that. didn't mean to offend you. i was just trying to make clear to you that with the proper and therefore expensive system, everything (of course) can be possible. you could even go and buy so called solid state disks (about $ 1.000 for a somewhat tiny 30gb or so) with access times far under a milisecond and trasnferrated up to 100mb/s and more but well, I CANNOT AFFORD SOMETHING LIKE THAT, too.so what. people with a lot of money drive fast, we others (count me in myself) simply can't afford that speed and so have to live with less.you were asking for a tutorial i gave you ideas what can be done. that it will cost money is, well, not my problem - you're right.and besides: look a bit around in the signatures of that people here. most people use systems with 2gb or more today.
it's okay. ram is not too expensive here in brazil. i need to know if i have some ddr slot left to put more. but you have a perspective on how fast could it be if i add this up?so, boot speed in hackintosh = powerful system = unaffordable to most of us?sorry for being aggresive but it is hard to live in a country like mine..And just to add: Tiger was faster than XP to boot here. I didn't expect so much difference.

yeah, i noticed it too. my windows always stalled after booting for about a minute or so and i couldn't find out why, but osx is, because it's doing many things at once, really fast. with linux there is something called e.g. 'initng' - that also speeds up the 'normal' sysv-boot process up to 60-70%.

get more ram if you ask me. you'll got more out of that instead of using two cores more. of course, you'd have to afford it and well, fast hard-drives will speed things up too. no need to get a new processor.

Ok this may be a discussion about "system speeds", but I thought I'd throw something in anyway just incase it helps.

You can actually speed up Darwins countdown timer (or remove it completely if you only have OS X) by "Messing with the boot options"

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

just copy and paste the text) and press enter. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor. Ctrl+O to save (and then press Enter to save) and Ctrl+X to close.

Speed up Darwin's timeout count-down

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>8</string>

I have Windows installed too so I like to access it every now and again but as I mainly use OS X I have my timer set to "5" seconds. And my systems a 3.4Ghz P4 1GB Memory and it boots in about 20-25 seconds I would say (including the 5 seconds plus BIOS screen).

I think I understand where he is coming from...

Prior to installing the 10.5.2 update , my machine would boot like lightning.

After the update , when It goes to switch to GUI , It sits on the black screen for about 30 seconds prior to showing the desktop.. It could be that things are getting loaded that dont need to or some modified kexts are not working correctly. I know that The sata / pata Kext (medievil) doesnt work too good for me on my Striker board.

@FilipeMB the only problem is that there could be a number of reasons why it doesnt boot fast. As for cpu /ram etc... Whilst this will def help run leopard better, I dont think this makes the boot too much faster. I have 3 pc's running Leopard. One is a monster and 1x intel (gigabyte) board , and a laptop.. And the fastest (by far) to boot is the Lowest spec machine, but the most compatable spec... Unfortuantly, unless you have all the kexts that you load working perfectly, things wont load fast.

Cheers,

Paul (kadmiff)