HP Pavilion dv6530ep Kalyway install guide (dual boot)

36 posts in this topic

Hi there, after some people asked me how I installed my laptop, i thought it'd be nice to post a guide for reference. This may be of use for many users with similar laptops (dv6000, dv6500) from HP.

WARNING: this guide will erase your current vista install. i may have some error in the guide, as it was written after the actual install, so warn me if something is wrong or missing

7604.jpg

Product Number GT441EA#AB9

Processor 1.67 GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5450

Memory 2048 MB (2 x 1024 MB)

Video Graphics Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Hard Drive 160 GB (5400 rpm)

DVD drive Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support

Display 15.4” WXGA High Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800)

Network Card Realtek Ethernet 10/100 integrated network interface

Wireless Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Integrated Wireless LAN

Sound Realtek HDAUDIO ALC268

Expansion slot One ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)- webcam with stereo micsExternal Ports

* 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

* 3 USB 2.0

* 1 VGA port

* 1 RJ-11 modem connector

* 1 RJ-45 ethernet connector

* S-video TV out

* 2 headphones-out

* 1 mic-in

* 1 IEEE 1394

* Remote control infrared port (remote)

* Cable docking connector

Ok then, lets get to the walkthrough.

Dual booting Vista and Leopard (kalyway)

- What you need

- HP Restore DVD (IMPORTANT: create it in vista, in case you haven't done it yet - see user's guide for reference. if you do not have recovery dvd, you will have problems restoring your computer after installing leopard)

- Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd

- the following you can put in a pen drive or similar:

- Kalyway 10.5.2. combo update

- Kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel package

- Apple Leopard Graphics update (from apple website)

- Taruga alc268 installer 2 - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

- Preparing your hard drive

Your computer is probably with factory disk setup - one large partition for Vista, and a smaller one for HP Recovery. We need a new one for Leopard.

In Vista there is an utility for partition management that we can use.

- Right click on My Computer icon

- Select Manage (sorry if the links don't have the exact names, i'm not using english Vista)

- Go to Storage > Disk Management

- You should see your disk partitions now. Right click on the main partition (probably C:) and select "shrink this volume". Vista will then tell you how much space it can remove from the c: partition. this may vary depending on your windows install. on my fresh install i could shrink it a lot, so i reserved 70GB for my Leopard install.

- Make a new partition on the free space left by the last step. i think you can give it a name, but the filesystem isn't too important now. it'll be formated again in kalyway install.

- this completes hard drive preparation

- Installing Leopard 10.5.1 Kalyway

- Pop your dvd into the drive and reboot your computer (if its not factory set to boot from cd, change it in bios or change boot order option when the computer boots)

- Press any key to start the install. it'll take a while loading the dvd

- Go to the Top menu "Utility", and select "Disk utility"

- select your new leopard partition (most likely the second from the top), and go to the erase menu. select MAC OS EXTENDED (Journaled), a new name for the partition, and ERASE.

- exit disk utility- press Continue

- Select your leopard partition and continue

- select Customize (bottom left)

- Select only the first items about Vanilla kernel, and the bootloader EFI_MBR

- your setup should start next (it'll test the DVD first, you can skip it to save time).

- let it run, it takes a while.

- when install is complete, it will reboot (remove dvd from drive)

- Booting into Leopard

- with the base configuration, it is most likely that it will not boot in normal mode (in my case, due to graphics drivers).

- use option "-x" on leopard boot menu to get into safe mode

- this will get you to the account creation menus. this isn't a big deal, no point in going step-by-step. your camera will not work in the account creation. this is normal, just select a pre-defined image.

- once you get to the desktop, plug in your flash drive with the 10.5.2 updates.

- install kalyway 10.5.2 combo update and reboot into safe mode - the computer will reboot by itself shortly after. this is normal.

- boot in safe mode again

- install kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel

- install apple leopard graphics update. reboot

- now it will boot in normal mode (no options needed) and you will have graphics acceleration (and correct screen resolution)

- Getting your dual boot with vista

- this step is probably not optimized as I haven't done much search about this, so this method will erase your current vista install.

- right now the only OS that boots is leopard.

- pop your hp recovery DVD into the drive and boot it

- when it finally loads, select the option to restore original contents of hard drive (factory settings). at some point it will ask you if you want to recover from the disk or the hard drive - if you use hard drive, it'll be faster)

- this will take a while (reinstalling windows image, rebooting, account creation, etc, etc)

- when all is ready in vista, install EasyBCD ( http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 )

- go to "add/remove entries"- add an entry / mac / type: generic x86 PC.- click save button

- go to change settings pane and reduce bootloader timeout to less time (around 5s is nice). save settings.

- your double boot is done.

- next time you boot, you'll have 2 options, vista and mac os. when you boot into mac os, you'll have the mac boot manager again - you must select the correct partition to boot from (leopard isn't done by default - probably just needs some small tweak to do it, but it doesnt bother me.

- Configuring your hardware in leopard

webcam

- webcam doesn't seem to work in photobooth, but it will work in skype or ichat, so its ok by me.

sound

- there's no sound working in your config yet. lets correct that.

- use Taruga alc268 Installer - cant remember if you have to reboot to get sound, but do it if necessary.

- now you have working speakers, working headphone outputs (which don't cancel the speakers - be aware - you must de-select in sound preferences), working mic.

- mute button does not seem to work, but the volume ones work ok.

battery

- your battery isn't recognized yet.

- go here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425 and read the instructions

- install new powermanagement.bundle from above link

- patch your appleACPIplatform.kext like instructed

- battery status will show up shortly or in next reboot.

Keyboard

- most of your keys will probably be working "as they should". on my configuration (portuguese layout) only a few are switched.

- you can try to create or modify your layout using UKELELE. its a free app, i think. its a bit tricky to learn, but i think you'll get good results with it.

touchpad

- working in basic manner, meaning no scroll with finger. there are some tutorials out there to get scrolling to work, but i haven't tried yet. i will update this if i have success with it.

- if you want to tap your touchpad for click, like in windows, just select it in preferences

USB

- all ports working at nice speeds

firewire

- haven't tested it, but its recognized so it should work

card reader

- not working. not much hope for it.

ethernet

- working great. no tweaking necessary.

wireless

- not working yet. driver development is undergoing at this time, so there is hope for intel 3945abg.

express card

- do not know if it works as i do not have any card for it.

video-out

- vga seems to work IF you plug it in when booting the machine. gfx get all messed up in both internal and external monitor when changing to mirror mode (might be resolution problem).

- s-video (not working)

- Reboot / Sleep / Shutdown

- reboot works ok.

- sleep gives you black screen and nothing more.

- shutdown needs you to press button (although in some ocasions it does actually work, haven't figured it out).

> this may be fixed using some custom kernel+kexts . i haven't found a combination that actually works, and i really do not need sleep that desperately, so i'm good.

- SpeedStep, cpu temperature and battery life

- this kernel is not using speedstep- cpu temperature with this config is being displayed as around 60ºC (not sure if its real temperature - using "temperature monitor" app).

- battery life is ok, not much lower than in vista. still, its not that great (this isn't a very mobile laptop anyway), at around 2:30h

- Overall usage of computer

- its nicely responsive, and i can use it as working environment. the only reason for me to use windows is the wireless

i will try to update this guide if new stuff comes up (like drivers and such).

if you know of ways to improve this install method, post here or send PM :)

thanks

Great work. I want OsX in my HP laptop but I didn't know how do that. I must download everything and I'll check this guide. Thanks

EDIT:

I have a question. Where can I download Intel x3100 graphic driver? I don't see this in apple website. Thanks for help

EDIT2:

OK. I found. I'm sorry for stupid questions, I'm newbie and I haven't had OSX yet. Thanks for guide. I have everything now and I can start install Leopard on my laptop. I hope it won't be any problems.

I don't know if you understand me, because my English is not good and I know I do a lot of mistakes.

Hi, I'm using an HP dv9535nr. I had previously installed 10.5.1 successfully but i'm now having problems trying to update to 10.5.2

I always get the famous "you need to restart your computer" when i'm installing the kalyway 10.5.2 combo update.

Are you sure I need to be installing the Vanilla package(the one at the top of the Kalyway 10.5.1 install DvD).

Great instructions by the way. Is it always 100% successfull on your machine?

OK. I did everything and I hadn't problems with my HP Pavilion dv6654us. I install additionally Restore_Factory_Desktop_finder_settings by Kaly and I have virgin mac osx now without modifications. Instalation is very easy and my mac runs great and looks great.

More informations:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=555521

And direct link to patch:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ytywbhzomf

Only one thing which

doesn't gratify me is that my laptop doesn't shutdown correctly. I must press and hold button to turn off the laptop  :dev:  .

djkillbill: Your configuration is very different and that's why it doesn't run. I know it's possible to run macosx on your laptop. You must find another guid for your configuration.

Thanks a lot for everything.

- install kalyway 10.5.2 combo update and reboot

- boot in safe mode again

- install kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel

i have downloaded and installed kalyway 10.5.2 and i did all.. but i can't find this kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel to install, where could i find ?

Thanks

search for 10.5.2 kernel vanilla and patched - at the usual place

Sorry mate but the seach ins´t working here and i didn´t find it, do you mind to tell me where could i find ?

and btw, i did all process except this one, is there any problem ? is fully working, just some times i have some video problems when i boot, is this related ? i have to run on safe mode, and run permissions repair.

thanks,

[]'s

i already did all process except to install 10.5.2 kernel vanila and patched, my system is working, sometimes i have to boot in safe mod to run repairPermissions to my video adapter come back to work perfectly, if i do this patch is gonna fix it? or isnt related to this issue ?

and we 2 options to update kernel_vinila original and patched by modbin, what do we hv to use?

i have dv6653cl and did 10.5.1 kalyway install + 10.5.2 combo update kalyway + 10.5.2 kernel update (modbin patched) + leopard gfx update and it works fine.. except for the wireless of course. audio works 100% with the guide instructions above to patch. only 4 things bothering me now.

1.) wireless of course, which is being in development. i may just buy dell 1490 to address this issue ($15 from ebay)

2.) i have the same shutoff issue as mafioso12 which is quite annoying too.

3.) last thing photo booth doesn't work but that is not a big deal in comparison with others.

4.) does anybody notice if boot without ac adapter plugged in, osx will run very dim?? if plugged in, it will be fine and still bright even if the plug is removed after loading into leopard. The powermanagement.bundle did not work for me.m (Last time i got acpi kernel panic and had to reformat and reinstall)

Scroller works as well with deletion of some kext. thanks for this guide its very helpful!!!

t5450 1.66ghz c2d

2gb ram

intel x3100

250gb hd

3945abg

webcam works in both skype and ichat for me

the new kernel should be vanilla as before (not necessarily the best kernel to use, but this is the way i am using my laptop, and if i change kernel for a better one, i will change the guide :gun: )

i don't have issues with the lcd-backlight...

one update, though. the vga-out works kinda ok IF you reboot your laptop with the external monitor already on. i did have problems when changing to mirror mode (gfx got garbled) so its not that perfect. its usable in a domestic environment (not cool to mess up in a school presentation).

Wich Vaniilla? modified by modbin or original ? has anyone tried to burn a CD/DVD is it working good?

my web cam definitly won´t work, i dunno why... i have tried everything ;)

and by the way, i didnt figure out how to make my battery information work, i did the process you said here, but isnt work.. i read this:

"- I do not think it will work with vanilla AppleACPIPlatform ... (vanilla does not have ACPIPowerSource PlugIn ..)" does it has any problem envolving our kernel ? because is saying won´t work with vanilla kernels..

is it right?

I activated a battery information on my laptop that way:

1. Go to system Preferences

2. Then click Energy Saver

3. Click on Options and "Show battery status in the menu bar"

It works well.

Camera works with iChat. I didn't ckecked Skype.

I have problems with my graphic card like _Psy_ and it's very irritating. How to fix that?

thanks for help

I activated a battery information on my laptop that way:

1. Go to system Preferences

2. Then click Energy Saver

3. Click on Options and "Show battery status in the menu bar"

It works well.

Camera works with iChat. I didn't ckecked Skype.

I have problems with my graphic card like _Psy_ and it's very irritating. How to fix that?

thanks for help

Hello, i don`t have this option "show battery status...." so strage... any clue?

I did it that way:

It is from link http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425:

1. Download the PowerManagement-137-1.bundle.tar.gz file (and unarchive it)

2. Go to: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

3. Backup your old PowerManagement.bundle

4. Copy the new bundle into the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ folder

5. Reboot

If you'll do that there should be option: "Show battery status in the menu bar"

Don't patch your appleACPIplatform.kext! I did it and after I hadn't this option. Follow only this five steps I pasted here. If you already patched appleACPIplatform.kext, you can restore file Info.plist from your backup or change back:

<string>1.1.0</string>

to:

<string>1.0.5</string>

in file Info.plist .

I hope you understand me ;)

i dunno if someone is having the same problem as me, but sometimes when i turn on my leopard iam having freezed screen, is like if i did wrong resolution, and i need to reboot and run permissionRepair, i dunno if this is related or just some coencidence.

usually i dont hv problems when i turn on, what is going on ?

Tks