How easy is it to change a Macbook Pro Hard drive

12 posts in this topic

Yes, there are a few hard disk who can fit in ours macbook pro (2'5-inch, 9.5-mm):

this one for example.

There is an "How To" describing step by step the way to process:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

Just choose your notebook in the list and then, select "Hard Drive Replacement"

You can evan have 2 internal disk with this :http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

edit: and if you're willing to shave out an extra ~3mm of surrounding matter :D , there is this 500 Gb

Do they even make 320GB laptop hard drives?
haha. . . yeah they do.check newegg
Yes, there are a few hard disk who can fit in ours macbook pro (2'5-inch, 9.5-mm): this one for example.There is an "How To" describing step by step the way to process:http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Just choose your notebook in the list and then, select "Hard Drive Replacement"You can evan have 2 internal disk with this :http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/
The last bit caught me but it means removing the optical drive which I'm not too keen onYes as I thought it looks easy enough. Everything should be alright aftward. Thanks for the links, it's pretty much what I saw on youtube

it IS easy, compared to some pc-based notebooks i was changing hd's.

the ifixit-guide is pretty nice - didn't know this site before.

i simply tried it out, didn't have to remove the optical drive at all BUT...

...hehe, when re-assambling, i pushed the front to the right a bit too tight down so that the drive-slot looks a tiny bit squeezed if you have a close look to it, but who care's. so, use some non-destructive tool and stick it into the drive slot so you won't squeeze the slot-in.

used the samsung 320gb 2.5 hd for that. works fine, is slow, but i'm used to way faster drives anyway. it's a notebook: keep your battery-uptime up and the waste heat down.

once the operating system and your favourite applications are loaded into memory, the 320gb are definately worth each head, track and sector.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing you are talking about the old Macbook Pro and not the new unibody one.

Well, yes it is quite easy. But not as easy as doing it on the Macbooks. It does involve taking it apart a little bit.

Here's a guide:

If you have the new unibody one, it's pretty straight forward. Just a little trap door behind the battery.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm guessing you are talking about the old Macbook Pro and not the new unibody one.

Well, yes it is quite easy. But not as easy as doing it on the Macbooks. It does involve taking it apart a little bit.

Here's a guide:

If you have the new unibody one, it's pretty straight forward. Just a little trap door behind the battery.

Well, the unibody ones are quite ugly, sorry to say that. Sure it's easy to change the regular HD, but not adding a second HD. However, i don't need a CD/DVD drive and for installing OSX or copying a CD/DVD i got an external one, so... having eg. 2x500GB in your macbook/pro is quite awsome.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I upgraded my 2007 MacBook Pro's HDD a few weeks ago following a tutorial. What the tutorial forgot to mention is that the top assembly never sits quite as flush as when it comes stock prepared. Now the top assembly presses up and down a bit where it was once hinged to the bottom part of the machine.

Also my latch no longer works 100% and I don't recall knocking anything during my upgrade. One screw has also become jammed into its thread when putting the case back together, this is down to Apple having screws right below magnetic latches; a very tricky process.

If you are still debating whether to do this upgrade just be prepared for it to not feel as tight and secure as to when you first got it, I've read comments before that others have had similar situations to me.