Any help with Darwin would be great :-)

4 posts in this topic

Ok so a little background info first.

I am writing this post on a Toshiba A135S4677 with a Pentium Dual-Core running Kalyway 10.5.2 (used the kalyway update)

Here is my problem. I am only able to run 10.5 from a USB drive. Everytime I install it on the internal drive Darwin refuses to run and I just get a black blinking curser as if the partition isn't flagged with boot. I've tried it with MBR as well as GUID and neither seem to work. I've also tried both combinations of the efi bootloaders with both combinations of partition scheme. I can install 10.4 and Darwin works fine but not matter what I seem to try the bootloaders for Leo never seem to load.

I am working on a fresh hardrive which I reformat everytime I try to instill with different configurations but nothing has worked.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what is different between the 10.4 bootloaders and the 10.5 bootloaders in order to help me find a way to get the bootloader in 10.5 to work.

I know 10.5 will run amazingly on this laptop since I am running it from a usb drive as I type this. Are there maybe some bios settings I can change or maybe A third party bootloader will fix the issue I don't know. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks to everyone who posts on here. The information I have found here has been amazing in helping me get every aspect of my laptop running perfect with OSX aside from the multi card reader but wi working firewire who needs that anyway??? :(

Try to erase/format (whatever you call) your HDD and name it with single word naming like Macintosh,MacOSx,Leopard. If you want to have space, use "_" (underscore) do not use space (blank). and try install Leopard again.

If still cannot. Do not format. I have another solution, but I need more info to tell you what to do.

Ok so I feel like a complete noob! If anyone else is having this problem do a little research and be sure to install efi on your fresh partition before installing. I figured either kallyway or iatkos would install it since it's is a MUST have to run 10.5 This topic walked me through it and *poof* worked like a charm.

Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics) - InsanelyMac Forum