Kalyway 10.5.2 Kernel mpkg problem

reilley

3 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I have an HP dv9233cl with Intel Core 2 and installed iAtkos 1.0 when it became available. Besides a few hardware glitches (wireless, webcam, external sound jacks - the same problems others have had), this version has worked GREAT, booting very fast under a dual-boot setup with Vista via EasyBCD (two 120gb SATA with Vista on one and Mac OSX on the other).

In my quest to keep the version up to date, I acquired the Kalyway 10.5.2 ComboUpdate and subsequent Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update mpkg. I first installed the combo update and upon rebooting, I get the standard Apple screen for a few seconds, then a white (off-grey, actually) screen that lasts for at least three minutes before the Leopard desktop appears. I read in another thread that the resolution is to repair the permissions and then apply the Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel mpkg. Well, I did.

When you install the kernel mpkg, one is prompted to choose between the "vanilla" kernel and the modified kernel. I wasn't sure which to select other than the fact that the description says for Intel Core 2 Duo SSE3 machines only, so I chose that one based on my configuration. Bad choice - upon rebooting, I get an Apple screen for about five seconds and then the system restarts. This cycles repeats endlessly.

So here I am - a decent install that has ran pretty soild since iAtkos first appeared, but now with one keystroke it is gone. I am asking for a little help from you guys out there who are much more familiar with Mac recovery than I. The way I see it, my choices are:

1. Reinstall iAtkos 1.0 from scratch and start over.

2. Beg for help and ask you guys to tell me how to recover without a reinstall.

I was thinking the best answer would be to boot from the iAtkos install DVD and then apply the CORRECT kernel from the Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel updates, but I do not knowhow to do this. It wasn't obvious when I booted from the iAtkos DVD.

Can anyone tell me the best course of action and how to go about it? I appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Heres what I did.

After the Combo 10.5.2 updater reboots, twice actually lol, Install the Kernel pkg, I used the Vanilla kernel.

Then all you do is before restarting is repair permissions THEN reboot. ;)

Thanks for your reply! The only problem is that my notebook is now rebooting over and over and I don;t know how to stop it.

You guys will laugh - I am posting from an Apple store in Boca Raton.