Guaranteed TV Out? Which card?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm finally building a new system to replace my P945 / Pentium D820 System that doesnt run Leopard well at all.

I am nearly set on purchasing a DFI Infinity P965-S w/ a Intel Q6600 for a pretty good price of around $300 for a board that should work out of the box.

What I really want to know though is if there is a graphics card out there that is guaranteed to have a working TV Out! I tried a friend's XFX 7600GT and it didn't work for me. Are there any other suggestions? I would really like to stick with nVidia but could go ATI if I had to. I really NEED TV out to work. It needs to work because I need to be able to put my Windows desktop (through parallels) on my TV.

Thanks,

sdelano

Thanks I have a real Mac actually. Its funny the main reason I want TV out is to stream Netflix onto my TV, which is actually a windows only program / environment. But I don't want to be switching off / restarting my computer everytime I want to watch something on the TV.

Yes I could get TV out on my Macbook Air but I don't want to have to install windows on the hard drive because thats gonna take up a lot of the limited space that I have on there.

So yes, I know that nothing is "GUARANTEED" with OSX86, but does anyone have a "CONFIRMED" working graphics card with TV-out? Been searching around for this quite a bit today and it doesn't actually look to promising. I even google-searched the site and came up with zilch.... grrr......

Thanks

sdelano

Man netkas you rock! Do you know if they work for other cards? Could I get one of these things and throw it on an nVidia 7600GT?

Thank you so much. I may just head down to the Apple store today to see if they have one so that I can play with it.

Thanks,

sdelano

edit: Looks like for a card to support this it needs to have DVI-I (which is DVI-D + analog stuff). It looks like most ATI cards have this. Looking for some nVidia cards to have this as well. If anyone knows for sure let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

So I just tried this adapter out on a 7600GT, and it did not work. It seemed as if OSX knew that the adapter was connected because it went into it's little display detected mode where the screen goes blue and all for a sec, but after that nothing showed up on my TV screen.

netkas, do you know for sure that this will work on a 2600xt? I can actually pick one of these up for relatively cheap but I want to be semi-sure that this is going to work before I do.

Thanks,

sdelano

Well I got the card today and stuck it in my current rig just to test it out to see if it is going to work. Guess what! It works perfectly! All I needed to do was install the latest Natit, restart, and plug in the DVI-TVOut adapter. {censored} the actual TVOut on the card Might even work I didn't even think. I will try though tomorrow when put the entire computer together. For now it is back to sudying for my final exam tomorrow....

I already use both dvi ports for dual monitor.. but i would like to hook up a third via tv out.. so i cannot use this solution. Anyone know how to get tv out?

• 10 months later...

i can't find the original Apple compatibility page, but unfortunately the adapter will only work with ATI cards and only on port two. it's the only thing that annoyed me when i upgraded my x1950Pro to an Geforce 8800GT.

• 6 months later...
Well I got the card today and stuck it in my current rig just to test it out to see if it is going to work. Guess what! It works perfectly! ....

sdelano, which make/model of 2600 worked for you? Was it a 2600XT or 2600HD (not sure if that matters)?

Looking to get this card: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205475880

I have a 4870 which I got working ... except no TVout and my Apple DVI -> component dongle is not recognized at all.

I'm building a Hackintosh media center running Boxee. Thanks for any advice.