10.5.2 Update, Which Kexts to restore after update?

hogfan

12 posts in this topic

Ok, well I have broken my 10.5.1 Leopard install for the 5th time. I have a Time Machine backup of course, but this is really starting to {censored} me off. I have an iATKOS install the runs great at 10.5.1. Everything working great. I can't install Apeture 2 without 10.5.2 update though. I have followed Netkas & Devin's update method using the Combo Updater after starting the script in the terminal window to remove the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext file immediately when it shows up. Then I run the update. Then I do the step in terminal to rename the Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext to dsmos.kext before rebooting the computer. I am 100% that I have dsmos.kext rather than r3d3.kext since I verified the currently installed kext in Leopard before starting the update process. After reboot I get the Apple loading screen for a few and then the evil gray "Do Not Enter" sign over the the gray apple. I reboot the machine and force OS X to boot in Verbose mode using the -v command and it hangs at "Still Waiting for Root Device". WTF? I am getting really sick of this! I did everything exactly right. I don't think the install is really broken, it's just like after the update it can't find the HDD Leopard is on. How would this change from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2? Why would it change? Here are some details on my setup so hopefully somebody can help me troubleshoot this:

Gigabyte MB GA-P65-S3 Rev. 1.0

4 GB G.SKILL DDR 2 RAM

SATA HDD 1 - Windows Vista Ultimate

SATA HDD 2 - OS X Leopard

I am using the Windows Boot Loader at startup to pick my OS.

The only thing I did not do after the update before restarting was restore any backed up kexts. The instructions on this step in the guides are almost useless. Which specific kexts do I need to restore? Obviously not all of them as the 10.5.2 update most likely updates some of these kexts. The only kexts I would think might need to be restored are the graphics card kexts I modified, etc. Can somebody tell me what I have done wrong, if anything? What kexts should I be restoring from 10.5.1 prior to rebooting? This is getting very frustrating and any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well that errors was because of one of the kexts you were supposed to have backed up! Your HDD controller!

"The instructions on this step in the guides are almost useless."

Netkas exlpains this in detail on his site so this is untrue!

SticMAN

Just went to netkas.org and didn't find the details you are speaking of. There is only that one line in broken english under the 10.5.2 update instructions. I wouldn't consider that explaining in detail. I'm trying to get my install working and then I will actually take the time to help others with Update problems. Do I need to replace the AppleHDA kext before restarting? I'm not pointing fingers............just stating that the instructions at this point are not easy to follow. Thanks.

Just did a fresh install and before rebooting after completing the entire update guide, I replaced the AppleVIAATA.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext files with my backed up copies from 10.5.1, and then repaired permissions before restarting. Forced the restart in Verbose mode and I got kernel panic. Rebooted again with -x -v and now I'm getting the waiting for root device again! Can somebody please tell me which kexts I need to replace if I'm upgrading a fresh install of iATKOS? I thought the AppleVIAATA.kext was the HDD controller. Somebody else has to have encountered this problem and have a fix for it. thanks.

Just did a fresh install and before rebooting after completing the entire update guide, I replaced the AppleVIAATA.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext files with my backed up copies from 10.5.1, and then repaired permissions before restarting. Forced the restart in Verbose mode and I got kernel panic. Rebooted again with -x -v and now I'm getting the waiting for root device again! Can somebody please tell me which kexts I need to replace if I'm upgrading a fresh install of iATKOS? I thought the AppleVIAATA.kext was the HDD controller. Somebody else has to have encountered this problem and have a fix for it. thanks.

try restoring IOATAFamily, AppleVIA, IOAHCIFamily, appleAHCIPort, AppleACPIPlatform, IOHDIXController.

thats all i can think of, after looking at the brazilmac post patch folder.

good luck!

(and this is one reason brazilmac is better :))

Thanks for the suggestion Social Swimmer. I just tried replacing those files with the backups using TransMac from within Windows and still a no-go. I am starting to hate the "Still waiting for root device" error. :)Unohoo, Isn't the Kaly Updater going to mess with my kernel though? I want to stay with vanilla kernel. I want to stay as stock as possible.

I just downloaded the torrent to check it out and the accompanying readme says:

"important kexts are not replace !

your current kernel and system.kext are not replace !!!!

safe update! :)

haven't test on 10.5.0 !

work fine on 10.5.1 !!!"

I ran it on 10.5.0 and it worked.

From there I updated the kernel and ran graphics update - no problems

What an ordeal! Dowloaded Kalywaycombo updater last night and installed it in a fresh OSX install. I have everything work now except graphics card. I installed the graphics update with no problems after the 10.5.2 update, but now after moving my patched ATIX1000.kext back over and repairing permissions all I get is a screen full of artifacts when booting into normal mode. I can get into safe mode fine. Wondering if this is the graphics update or 10.5.2 that has caused this issue. This updated has been a total nightmare. Had to reinstall b/c my Time Machine backup hung up 3 times during retore attempts at 98.3%! Then I tried to migrate everything over during the setup of the new OSX install and got Kernel panic. doesn't look like I'll be using Time Machine anymore for a reliable backup. What good is a backup if you can't restore it. Ran first aid on the backup HDD and results came back fine. Oh well. I like Leopard a lot, and if Apple would make things a bit more easier to work on and upgrade, I'd just go out and buy a Mac next time. I've got a lot better hardware than what iMac comes with though.

Welcome to the pioneering club...... restoring is an issue on here. I use Acronis from a usb stick (having prepared it in glorious Microsoft) and copy a IDE working leopard install to the SATA drive. As soon as an issue is resolved on the SATA I hook up the IDE and repeat the procedure. The Acronis IDE backup needs to be smaller capacity than the target SATA so I restrict any unnecessary huge installs ( eg Office and Logic Expr ess - they can be installed later to the SATA) It works - quick at max 20mins - and is consistently bootable. Heh I know others are going to chime in at this point but this is what works for me and I'm not changing!

Your problem! It is the graphics drivers. I had issues with graphics which I solved by having a backup card (old Matrox PCI and bought a known compatible nvidia pcie. When the reliable fix to my preferred card came on the scene- applied it - and ventured on into the unknown. All is well until the next update......

Advice - test the same install with a different graphics card and keep testing kexts for the ATI until it resolves.

Stay with it - You and I may be MAC owners one day

Fur Hogfan :one thing left :If you still get Kernel Panic, boot it with force kext mode (type -f). Once yo successfully log in, delete appleSMBios.kext and AppleHDA.kext from folder Extensions.Open kextHelper.app and drag those 2 files onto the windows and press easy install.Do Repair permission again from Disk Utility. RestartHope helps you.(again, sorry for my poor english)UUps - it must be reply no.1 (did I forget to press Add Reply?)Hofgan,After closing Terminal - before Restart :Copy/Replace all your kexts in 10.5.5 backup dir to dir Extensions. He'll ask you your passwdRepair Permission from Disk UtilityRestartBooting with force kext mode ( type -f)Hope will work for you...(Sorry for my bad English)