bootable raid

drunknbass

9 posts in this topic

ive been trying and i just cannot get a bootable raid array. i tried to boot into an exsisting leo install, and raid my other 2 drives together and then reboot the install dvd and install the os onto that array and it installs fine but i cannot boot.

also tried to make a disk image of my current leo installation and restore it onto the raid array, and didnt work.

also tried a method that involved making a 2 partitions on 1 disk (1 boot partition and the other is raid) and then ading the raid partition and the other disk into a raid and using the boot partition to boot into the raid array, also couldnt get it working.

also tried booting into my regular leopard and choosing disk2 (raid array) and trying to boot into that after a successful install. no luck. but that might be because my good leo install is 10.5.2 and my install on the raid array is 10.5.1

if i can use the acard or rocketraid to boot my osx ill break down and buy it and be done with it.. not too much info stating if its possible to actually boot from the rocketraid tho. if it makes the raid array look like a regular disk to osx i dont see why you couldnt.

im open to a pci raid card that would work out of box if possible, also i dont think it is compatible but i have raid on my mobo (asus maximus) so if that is possible somehow let me know :D

i went out ad bought a rocketraid 2300

right now im trying to inject the kexts into a kalyway install dvd to see if i can boot up the installer and install to the raid array, if not i guess option 2 is clone a leo install and move it onto the raid and try booting it that way

k got it working!

here ar emy specs from before the raid and after,, cpu took a pretty decent hit, but im going to oc it anyways. disk speeds are alot better but uncached still sucks.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=272193&doc2=272856

basically i booted into my old leopard installation and downloaded the driver for the rocketraid 2300 and installed it, then formatted my raid array as guid, then i patched the kalyway 10.5.1 installation dvd with the kext from the rocketraid driver and when i rebooted from the install dvd it showed my raid array. and i just installed guid efi vanilla like i did before on the single drive. now ill softraid my other 2 seagate 750s and use them for time machine.

Very nice! I got mine working last night as well, didn't have much of a chance to mess around with it....finished up around 3 am have to get up for work at 5. :)

I just put the kext files on a thumbdrive and issued kextload rr2300_00.kext

After that loaded the Kalyway installer saw my RAID 10 setup and went on without any issues! I'll post up results later tonight after I get a chance to mess with it some more.

nice.. i just rebuilt my raid and added a 3rd seagate 750, kind of unhappy with the performace increase from 2 drives to 3 tho.. going from one drive to 2 in a raid was a big jump. now its barely any different.

also the cpu hit seemed to go away after running the system for 24 hrs so by tom they should be leveled out and the same hopefully.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=273153&doc2=272899

this is my 2 seagate 750gb raid0 and my raid0 with 3 seagate 750s compared..

• 8 months later...

Thanks again for the reply drunk it makes sense.

I ve tried a number or things out and am now considering a few things which i may be wrong on.

Firstly i attempted to create a customised DVD by placing the driver (the .dmg file) in this path:

F:\Documents and Settings\R\Desktop\Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd\ADD_KEXT_TO_DVD\Natit.kext\Contents\MacOS

and then executing the "Add_kext_to_dvd_boot.command". I figured that it would be best to try and get the install working before i tackle the inserting of a bundle. It processed something when i double clicked so i assumed that this updated the install ISO with the kext - (is a .dmg file read as a kext when its seen by the mac software?)

Booting the disk did not enable me to see the HD in disk utilities. I think that i might have either installed the kext incorrectly in this case. Or, i might need to type a command in terminal to load the kext (.dmg file) from the dvd...

Once this didnt work i tried to to use macimage to manuall install the .dmg file by dropping it right into the system/library/extensions folder. Unfortunately when i exported the .iso, it was only 394 megs..

where do you think i went wrong?

cheers

you need to make a custom install disk before you install leopard if you want to boot off the raid.

the leopard install disk has specific kexts it loads when it boots up, and then there are separate kexts that it installs. you typically see these as optional things on custom leo install disks that you check. so if you wanted to do this you need to research how to bundle the kext into a disk, it has to go into 2 places, thats key.. if you do it right youll be able to read the RR2300 after the disk boots into the install and you can format the drive etc. and then you can install, and choose to include the RR patch for your installation. then after your install is done your system will actually be able to boot.

if you just add it to the kexts that osx disk loads you are good until your system tries to reboot after installation, then it loads its owns drivers which doesnt have your RR kext. if this is what happened to you , you can always pop the drive(s) in a seperate system running leo and add the kext to the host os(to be able to even see the raid) and then to the RR osx install.

hopefully that makes sense.

thanks drum

got a qn: did you load this kext after OSX had already been installed on a drive?

The reason i ask is because it is my current understanding that a kext cannot be loaded until osx is installed because it must be loaded into the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

I figured that i should be able to install the rocketraid drivers before installing leopard because otherwise, how am i supposed to select the partition to install it on? (disk utilities does not detect the HD with AHCI on).

i attempted to use the command "kextload rr_2310.kext" before booting from the kalyway cd and then in terminal once the leopard install had booted from the dvddrive to no avail. I think the command i am using is probably not enough as i think the computer either doesnt know where the file is, or maybe the desination /System/Library/Extensions/ does not exist.

Im going to keep researching kexts and see what i can find. Am i on the right track?

cheers

hi drum

i was reading your post on setting up the raid and was wondering if you still had the driver file handy? The site says that it is unavailable.

Cheers

i use this driver

rr_2310.kext

http://www.hptmac.com/US/productfiles/bios...v220-103007.dmg

• 1 month later...

Glad to see someone has a RAID card working. After trying out a rocketraid 1720, and have it not working because it was PCI, I want to try out a PCIe card now.

Is this showing up as a full hardware RAID or is it a software? Does OS X see it as a single drive, or does it show up as two drives in a RAID?

I plan on using two 500gb Seagate drives in a RAID0, and having a dual boot with a hacked retail install of Leopard and windows vista, and use about 700gb for storage. So I need it to be hardware so that both windows and leopard can see it with out any problems.

I read in another thread that the 2300 dosnt support hardware RAID on macs, but that someone got around that by using drivers from the 2310 card.

this is the 2300 I'm looking at getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816115029

I've also looked at the 3120. Would it be worth the extra $15 to have 128mb of memory onboard? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816115047

I'm running a GA-EP35-DS4 motherboard, 4gb of ram, and a Q6600. My primary use for the computer is going to be for college and video editing (final cut pro).

Thanks for any advice.

• 3 months later...
Glad to see someone has a RAID card working. After trying out a rocketraid 1720, and have it not working because it was PCI, I want to try out a PCIe card now.

Is this showing up as a full hardware RAID or is it a software? Does OS X see it as a single drive, or does it show up as two drives in a RAID?

I plan on using two 500gb Seagate drives in a RAID0, and having a dual boot with a hacked retail install of Leopard and windows vista, and use about 700gb for storage. So I need it to be hardware so that both windows and leopard can see it with out any problems.

I read in another thread that the 2300 dosnt support hardware RAID on macs, but that someone got around that by using drivers from the 2310 card.

this is the 2300 I'm looking at getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816115029

I've also looked at the 3120. Would it be worth the extra $15 to have 128mb of memory onboard? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816115047

I'm running a GA-EP35-DS4 motherboard, 4gb of ram, and a Q6600. My primary use for the computer is going to be for college and video editing (final cut pro).

Thanks for any advice.

so guys can you confirm that the RocketRaid 2300 is bootable from a hardware raid? Does it do SAS-drives? I have 4 146GB sas drives lying around..