powermac prob

okitsugu

4 posts in this topic

I just got a powermac g5, not new,

BUt

i dont know how to determine what hte speed is or anythign other it didn't come with a video card. and when it turns on, the fans go full blast

soo first question what kind of video card do i need? will a PC video card work (ati radeon 9600 pro for pc?(thats what i have))

also is this fan thing an problem. I dont know if this comp suppose to even work but, please any help would be appreciated, either its gonna be used as a mod or used as a powerful g5

I just got a powermac g5, not new,

BUt

i dont know how to determine what hte speed is or anythign other it didn't come with a video card. and when it turns on, the fans go full blast

soo first question what kind of video card do i need? will a PC video card work (ati radeon 9600 pro for pc?(thats what i have))

also is this fan thing an problem. I dont know if this comp suppose to even work but, please any help would be appreciated, either its gonna be used as a mod or used as a powerful g5

1) You may be able to analyze which model you have from <http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index.html>. (May require signing up for a free (truly free) membership to view the port layout. A google search with the apple part # ...from label...will also be productive.

2) AFAIK, no PM G5 models had AGP slots, and I believe your video card is AGP. It also has PC and not Mac firmware.

3) Not sure about the fan issue, but kind of pointless to try to troubleshoot without a compatible video card!

^_^

G

To find all your G5 specs, blue Apple menu, upper left corner. Click on "About This Mac" then click the "More Info" button in the window. This should open up a complete system profile of the G5.

<EDIT> Sorry, ignore what's above -- just noticed you didn't have a video card installed.

You can open the case and look for a little strip of text on the bottom that lists processor speed, factory installed RAM, etc. The serial number should help you find the exact rev. (Seriously, call Apple and they'll tell you based on the serial number -- they did for an iBook that I didn't even own but was fixing up for a friend).

As for troubleshooting the fans/processors, you'll need to download some developer tools from Apple (i.e. CHUD and/or "Processor" system extension) to turn on/off the processors. But you'll need the video card.

Well, thanks so is there way to install a mac firmware on my card? and this model does have AGP, the new ones use PCI-E but this is an older with AGP.

I haven't found i thing with speed or anythign yet but i'll sttill look

But uh, i dont think i can contact apple for an reason, if u PM me i can tell you why i dont want to publicize it.. and no i didn't steal it.

but thanks so far for the responses. But uh.. would you think if hte comptuer is faulty would it blow a vid card? i'm thinking of borrowing one from my schools g5. But i dont want to do it if there si a 50% chance more of it getting blown up haha. or messed up in a way.

EDIT: 11:55pm

So Far i found its a Dual 1.6Ghz but i'm not sure. though that is guess by my model #