Errors when it Leopard Boots

seaboltman

9 posts in this topic

How are we doing today folks? I have completed a sucessful install of Leopard using Zephys AMD installer, and i just had a few questions. When i boot into windows, i get error messages that pop up (five to be exact) they all say the same thing, could not load the kext. Below are the actual kexts it errors for. What is the best course of action, and what are these kexts?

laptopdisplay.kext

ALCinject.kext

"/system/library/extensions/appleazalia.kext/Contents/Plugins/IOHDAudioFamily.kext"

"/sys/lib/exten/appleazaliaaudio.kext/contents/plugins/appleazaliacontroller.kext"

NVinjectgo.kext

Natit.kext

When you boot into Windows you get these errors? Hard to believe...I think you mean that you get these errors when booting into OS X (right?). Anyway, if you get these errors when booting into OS X then delete the kexts mentioned using single user mode, of course backing them up first. Or you could install MacDrive for Windows and delete the kexts from within Windows.

Tell me if you need help with single user mode

Do this:

When OS X is about to boot, press F8 to get to the boot: prompt. Enter -s into the prompt and hit enter. It will start going through long lines of text and eventually (hopefully) it will get to a #root prompt. Enter these commands pressing enter after each one:

mount -uw /
cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/LaptopDisplay.kext /backupkext/
cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext /backupkext/
cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzalia.kext /backupkext/
cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /backupkext/
cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext /backupkext/
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/LaptopDisplay.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzalia.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext
reboot

And then try booting OS X. If you can't even get into single user mode, you have two options (MacDrive is the easiest option):

Option 1. Boot from your OS X installer DVD. Go to Disk Utility and make sure that your OS X volume is mounted. Close Disk Utility and go to Utilities menu >> Terminal. Enter these commands and make sure that you replace "YourVolumeName" with the actual volume name:

cp -r /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/LaptopDisplay.kext /backupkext/
cp -r /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext /backupkext/
cp -r /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzalia.kext /backupkext/
cp -r /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /backupkext/
cp -r /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext /backupkext/
rm -rf /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/LaptopDisplay.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzalia.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/YourVolumeName/System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext

Close Terminal and reboot into your OS X installation and try. Here is the second option which is much easier:

Option 2. Boot Windows and download MacDrive for Windows Trial and install it. You should now be able to see your mac drives in My Computer. Go into your Mac drive, navigate to System >> Library >> Extensions and copy the following kexts:

LaptopDisplay.kext
ALCinject.kext
AppleAzalia.kext
AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
NVinjectGo.kext

Copy them into a safe directory somewhere on your Windows drive or somewhere on your Mac drive preferrably. Now go back and delete the mentioned kexts. Get out of Windows, Boot Mac OS X and try.

Hopefully one of those options will work for you.

awesome, ill give this a shot. Now, I don't feel like making another thread, so ill post this in here and if it gets answered cool, if not, i'll have to make a new one. When I go into terminal to try to install kext files, i get an error that says either Operation now Allowed, or Read Only and it wont install. im using the commands

sudo -r 755 (location)

sudd -r root:wheel

First of all, what do these commands mean, just for my own general knowledge, and 2ndly, why wont they let me install?

You are using the wrong commands. These should work:

sudo chmod -R 755 [location]
sudo chown -R root:wheel

These set the correct permissions for the file. Repair permissions with Disk Utility afterwards :) To install kexts, just use Kext Helper instead of the terminal. Way easier. Download kext helper here:

www.cheetha.net

ok so once again, i mistyped, i did have to chmod and the chown in the commands as well. Both problems were fixed. As for the kext errors, reinstalling them did the trick. As for the problem of not being able to install them properly, After a bit more researching, i found out that my problem was actually caused by the fact that my admin account did not have a password. apparently the sudo command or terminal in general dosent like it when the admin account does not have a PW. Once i assigned a password to the account, all was well.

thanks for the help, errors are gone.