Install OSx86 10.4 on new Mac Pro 8-core?

digipro00

4 posts in this topic

I just got a new Mac Pro 8-Core (Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400) and it comes loaded with 10.5 Leopard. However, my pro tools software only works on 10.4. Can't "downgrade" the Mac Pro to 10.4 in a traditional sense using apple software, so i was wondering if i could use OSx86 10.4 to install on a second drive and get the machine running in Tiger with full functionality. Or, if im missing another way to complete the "downgrade", let me know! (I own a Macbook Pro in 10.4 if that would help) Thanks!

Can't you just buy a copy of 10.4?

I'm sure there is a company out there that still has it for sale. Not to mention you don't have to worry about the legality of downloading a version.

And I'm in the same (sort of) boat. I want my Son (18 months old) to play Number Munchers (abandonware) and Oregon Trail like I did when I was a child.

So I bought him a PowerMac G3 at Value Village.

I'm not saying I'm better, but I would look into the legal realm before looking at other options.

Djork

The "legal" versions you can buy of Tiger are only for PPC systems. The other versions of tiger a person can find that work for Intels are, from what i've found, hardware specific. Since the 8-Core system i have has never ever been sold with Tiger installed, there is no version in existence from mac that coontains the proper drivers. That's why i thought OSx86 might be an option, since it is based on people "customizing their driver settings for their specific systems.

My Mac Book Pro runs on tiger...any way i could mirror the drive, install it in my mac pro and then change the driver settings?

The "legal" versions you can buy of Tiger are only for PPC systems. The other versions of tiger a person can find that work for Intels are, from what i've found, hardware specific. Since the 8-Core system i have has never ever been sold with Tiger installed, there is no version in existence from mac that coontains the proper drivers. That's why i thought OSx86 might be an option, since it is based on people "customizing their driver settings for their specific systems.

My Mac Book Pro runs on tiger...any way i could mirror the drive, install it in my mac pro and then change the driver settings?

Ah. Didn't know that! Learn something new everyday.

I don't know the ramifications of just mirroring the drive, but then again it may be worth a shot.

Good luck to you!