[Ideas] Make your startup RAID disk

rgb

3 posts in this topic

This is not a guild, NOOBS please wait for detail guide on later.

I just figure out how to build a bootable starup raid disk!!!!!

First, install darwin bootloader and PC EFI on any bootable devices (SATA,USB disks are okay)

Build a RAID array using Disk Utility, mark down the raid voulume ID (format: DiskX).

Install osx on the raid array volume.

Then boot the bootable device, type option "rd=DiskX", X is which drive of your Raid array you marked down.

NOW YOU'VE GOT A SOFTWARE RAID STARTUP DISK!!!

I have got 300mb+/s with my four seagate 7200.10 drive!!! The system is very smooth and fast!!

Little Trick! Exist system could dupe/restore to raid array using Disk Utility)

LAST WARNING! **Software Raid takes some of CPU resources, don't try if you don't have enough CPU power!!**

very nice. if someone could integrate r2d2 / dsmos with the bootloader, i reckon a similar approach could allow modern machines which can run the vanilla kernel to probably boot a retail Leopard DVD and install.

nice dream, but way beyond my abilities... ;)

A guide to install from Retail DVD to a software raid set can be found here.

When Disk Utility builds the raid set, a small partition of 128MB ("boot OSX") is created at each disk. The partitions contains the minimal system files to boot, only after the first boot. So, if you don't have another system where you installed pc_efi, you will not boot! Unless you create these files...

The installation of Retail DVD, without kext's changes, is only possible because the auxiliar system "loans" kexts to the one on raid set.

After tests, we can see that this isn't a convenient procedure: software Raid improves XBench results, only to Disk Test, of course. Since the system don't take great advantage from the disks, his overall performance decreases!

I think now that best results are obtained if the bootable system is outside the raid set.