Jailbreaking an iPhone on Hackintosh?

InorganicMatter

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've got my 16GB iPhone, and love it! It's great, and I would like to Jailbreak it to run other apps, but am scared. I've modded device firmwares before (PSP), but always get scared when I'm playing with a $500 electronic. The device came with 1.1.3 from the Apple store. First, I got the AppleCare, Jailbreaking won't break my warranty, will it?

Finally, my question: I've run across this app (http://ijailbreak.com), which seems ridiculously easy. My question is, I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.2 on a Core 2 Duo with EVI v8 and vanilla kernel. That app will still function correctly, right? I just ask because they have some pretty specific hardware and OS version requirements. If it does screw up, is there a way to revert back to factory defaults?

Not sure how the Hackintosh variable works out with this method but if you have issues with your phone or the process you can do a simple restore in iTunes. I've done it several times with no issues at all. As for your jailbroken iPhone and AppleCare, yes, jailbreaking your iPhone voids any and all warranties. However, if you restore your iPhone before you bring it in, you should be fine. Jailbreaking is an at-your-own-risk activity.

Good Luck!

Congrats on the new acquisition.

I guess the real question is do you have any other issues with any of your other USB devices. Since the best thing going for phones right now is the ZipHone utility (which is written for intel cores and windows (am pretty sure I sure a no-go for PowerPC which doesn't apply 2 u anyway,) I don't think you'd run into any issues.

Of course if you're looking for probabilities for error as a math problem, you're definately in a higher risk category due to your equipment configurations. I'd be willing to try it in your shoes, since the worse thing that can happen is you will throw your phone into a bricked state until you get your phone to a legit PC running either winblows or OSX (legit.) ZiPhone fixes most bricked phones (I speak from experience there.)

Good Luck.

S_L

Jailbreaking has zero risk. The worst that will happen, you put it in DFU/recovery mode and restore it back to jailed 1.1.3.

But yes, it will void your warranty. If you ever need it repaired, restore it back to normal 1.1.3. They can't find out.

The safest way that works on all computers is my way, http://www.berzerkerweb.com/jbul

i can confirm that jailpreaking with ziphone works on a 10.5.2 hackintosh (see the specifics in my sig). no need to worry, just try. if it fails, just restore it using itunes.

jailbreaking with ziphone is really boring. it is fast, and it simply works... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...