GFX-EFI string for Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB (G92)

agrafuese

112 posts in this topic

Thanks for the news on this consolation. Let's hope this catches on. I want to see Mr. cyclonefr's scores most of all, since he apparently has the best running 8800GT system here :)

I've attached my scores with benchmark checked. One is with multisample @ 4 and one is with it @ 2. The strange thing is, my 2.1 scores are higher with it set to 4. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Fixed the pic, nVFast makes marginal difference now, bugger...

BTW, when running 2.1 spec, do your cube textures look like noise? I think it used to show a mandlebrot (sp?) fractal in previous versions.

Yeah NVfast only gave me a difference of +/- 2 points haha. And yes, the 2.1 test is a little funky looking. Not sure if they meant to do that or not. It's just a bunch of moving lines. Looks like a bad TV reception or something ;)

Another thing I'd like all of us to include if possible is a link to their card, or if they are OCing their card, provide the new clock speeds, etc. For example, I don't OC my card and here is the newegg link to it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130318

post-66307-1204075370_thumb.png

post-66307-1204075377_thumb.png

I'll be able to run some tests tomorrow and will be sure to post them... ironically I have the Gigabyte board as well, maybe I should try to exchange for the Asus? Why would they be any different from each other?

It seems to generate more items at set settings - so the results are more meaningful. IRC it was added in one of the revisions and that's why it wasn't used as it would make it difficult to compare benchies. But, it does seem like a more meaningful test...

Yes probably better since this would benefit additional pipelines/shaders etc which newer cards have more of.

Ah, make people download the newest version. :)

Fixed the pic, nVFast makes marginal difference now, bugger...

Ditto.

BTW, when running 2.1 spec, do your cube textures look like noise? I think it used to show a mandlebrot (sp?) fractal in previous versions.

Yes same thing and previous versions worked.

So, I made two tests.Someone said maybe the CPU is bottleneck, so I oc-ed to 3GHz and made tests.Then I returned to default speed (2.4GHz) and made test again.Seems there's no significant difference...

OK, so here they are.First picture is with overclocked system, and second default speed...

post-88863-1204116728_thumb.png

post-88863-1204116741_thumb.png

agrafuese, iam just delete NVinject and all other injectors. Iam trying many other methods and kext... but i cant run my xfx 8800gt 512 at full power...

Trying many NVinject versions = nothing new happens.

Trying to add NVCAP generated from roms of my geforce to kexts and gfx string but nothing happens too...

Trying some installers such as NVinstaller 33 but i has panic after ...

help plz))

sorry i could not weigh in yet, have had some house guests out here in Thailand from home...so have not had a lot of time to geekout

anywho...some notes before tomorrow test marathon

1. I think that it ran faster when only using video strings, possibly ran slower when added strings for sound (which doesn't seem to help sound at all)

2. Video runs slower when Spotlight is indexing

3. Safari, Mail, and some other programs open very quickly... its really only Stickies and then crashing WOW that alarm me

4. I am using cyclonfr GFX strings as they were sitting on my desktop for 3 weeks before finally using them

I will also run the tests we are using for this thread and not mention the "test who can not be named"

I will post more details tomorrow so we can all try to find the differences to find a solution

I would hate to plug in a 7300GT to find better performance

@PPZ, I have about the same results as you with FSAA 4x, etc except OpenGL 2.1 where I have 153 and you have 80 or so, but i'm sure it's just a bug from this benchmark.

Yes, IMO this benchmarks is {censored} because X1900 gets something around 3200 fps in "normal test" without touching anything and we get smthg like 2200 fps. You'd tell me : then X1900 is faster and more optimized... It isn't, I asked someone to try Age of Empires 3 with 8800 GT and X1900 and even with the naked eye, he could see the difference. I (yes I) tried WoW with X1900XT and 8800 GT and 8800 GT is a lot faster.

BTW, let me give you a link where some site did some benchmarks to compare cards : http://www.barefeats.com/harper8.html

Yep, it seems G92 drivers suck for Pro apps (wtf ?) but they rock for games... Weird.

I couldn't try OpenMark since every dl/ link is down, so I can't find it (but as someone said, this benchs seems {censored} and old).

So yeah, you are gonna tell me : every bench is {censored} for you.... Well I use 3D Mark 03 using Crossover, I get 10909 points in Game tests with default settings whereas X1900XT gets something around 6000, and HD3870 around 9000 points.

Seems pretty logical to me, and a good bench to prove it's more powerful.

I won't post my WoW screens all over again, but I can tell you I get about the SAME FPS I have in Windows (in D3D !), and sometimes even more : I just need to disable FSAA cause FSAA + bloom = real slow on OSX 10.5.2 (but that's true on every card, it should be fixed in a future leopard opengl update...).

So if I listen you guys telling me 8800 GT is slow as hell, then I guess as I have the same FPS in WoW windows, 8800 GT drivers for Windows are {censored}... And yeah I guess you guys get sometimes 350 fps with 7300GT....

@PPZ, I have about the same results as you with FSAA 4x, etc except OpenGL 2.1 where I have 153 and you have 80 or so, but i'm sure it's just a bug from this benchmark.

Yes, IMO this benchmarks is {censored} because X1900 gets something around 3200 fps in "normal test" without touching anything and we get smthg like 2200 fps. You'd tell me : then X1900 is faster and more optimized... It isn't, I asked someone to try Age of Empires 3 with 8800 GT and X1900 and even with the naked eye, he could see the difference. I (yes I) tried WoW with X1900XT and 8800 GT and 8800 GT is a lot faster.

BTW, let me give you a link where some site did some benchmarks to compare cards : http://www.barefeats.com/harper8.html

Yep, it seems G92 drivers suck for Pro apps (wtf ?) but they rock for games... Weird.

I couldn't try OpenMark since every dl/ link is down, so I can't find it (but as someone said, this benchs seems {censored} and old).

So yeah, you are gonna tell me : every bench is {censored} for you.... Well I use 3D Mark 03 using Crossover, I get 10909 points in Game tests with default settings whereas X1900XT gets something around 6000, and HD3870 around 9000 points.

Seems pretty logical to me, and a good bench to prove it's more powerful.

I won't post my WoW screens all over again, but I can tell you I get about the SAME FPS I have in Windows (in D3D !), and sometimes even more : I just need to disable FSAA cause FSAA + bloom = real slow on OSX 10.5.2 (but that's true on every card, it should be fixed in a future leopard opengl update...).

So if I listen you guys telling me 8800 GT is slow as hell, then I guess as I have the same FPS in WoW windows, 8800 GT drivers for Windows are {censored}... And yeah I guess you guys get sometimes 350 fps with 7300GT....

What install method are you using?

I'm not using any special method : I'm running 10.5.2 + Graphics Update + GFX string I posted earlier from Mac Pro3,1 8800 GT.

EDIT : Can you change resolution in OSX ? For example going from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 ? If not, then try to plug your monitor into the other DVI plug.

Oh an I have the MBP with X1600 too, and compared to my 8800 GT hack, the MBP is slow as hell. Spaces on MBP is slow, Stacks is a bit slower, everything is faster (even the Dock is) on my hack. I'm not even speaking about WoW. Enabling anisotropic filtering to x16 kills the FPS while it doesn't on 8800GT.

I'm not using any special method : I'm running 10.5.2 + Graphics Update + GFX string I posted earlier from Mac Pro3,1 8800 GT.

EDIT : Can you change resolution in OSX ? For example going from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 ? If not, then try to plug your monitor into the other DVI plug.

Oh an I have the MBP with X1600 too, and compared to my 8800 GT hack, the MBP is slow as hell. Spaces on MBP is slow, Stacks is a bit slower, everything is faster (even the Dock is) on my hack. I'm not even speaking about WoW. Enabling anisotropic filtering to x16 kills the FPS while it doesn't on 8800GT.

I'll try in the am !!

Your not using Kalyway ? Are you using a Retail install method like me?

Yes, I am. (used the retail disk I used to install it on my MBP :jerry:)

EDIT : I'm pretty sure WoW will work changing the DVI port. If you still have problems with it, delete the Cache folder in WoW and WTF/Config.wtf (or at least move it). I know several people running WoW with a 8800GT on OSX and it works flawlessly, there is no way the game will crash for you.

Yes, I am. (used the retail disk I used to install it on my MBP :()

EDIT : I'm pretty sure WoW will work changing the DVI port. If you still have problems with it, delete the Cache folder in WoW and WTF/Config.wtf (or at least move it). I know several people running WoW with a 8800GT on OSX and it works flawlessly, there is no way the game will crash for you.

Yea, i love WOW on my MBP! runs so much better on OS X than Winblows :D

I have a feeling that your right about the DVI port... can't wait to get into the office and change that in the morning

I am also using retail install and your 8800 file. Wow gets all the way to the log in screen than bam! freezer :jerry:

Thanks!!!

Just installed my Gainward 8800GT GS 512MB (to replace my 7900GTO).

Deleted nvinject.kext -> graphic update via online update -> using gfx string

Works like a charm. Not to hassle to much about benching, but even my benchmarks are higher now:

Openmark 1.6

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO OpenGL Engine

1920x1200x32

Score 23557

Openmark 1.6

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OpenGL Engine

1920x1200x32

Score 29123

OpenGL Extensions Viewer:

nearly double FPS (7900GTO 530FPS and 8800GT 1050FPS)

Hehe,

just played CoD4 with 1920x1200 4xAA (under Windows of course - waiting for OSX Release)

...yes... i have bad news... the 8800GT IS better :unsure:

Off Topic: the 7900GTO was really a good Card. Better cooling IMHO than my Gainward which has also a low level noise cooling, but the MSi 7900GTO was even more quiet.

Another OT: Perhaps i should have ordered an old style 8800GT (with green PCB). These cards has often a 128k Rom Chip and this can be flashed with EFI64 used in Mac Pro 2008.

Nevermind, my Gainward Golden Example is running like a champ, but the dream of using it as a 8800GT (nonApple) in a (maybe) future Mac Pro 2008 can't be realised with this great Card...

Last OT: @cyclonefr -> E6600@3,53 -> would you please post your Bios Config? I'm really satisfied with E6600@3,2 (Multi8x400) but some more wouldn't be soo bad :D

MY OC'ed have 153, and non-overclocked 129 :censored2:

However, the card is more slow than the old one and I can see it.I can see it on playing games.I guess that I will just wait to get some better drivers from Apple.Since they let go 8800GT for Mac Pro, they will probably work now on drivers in the future...

PPZ, in your latest bench you forgot to check NVFast so i'm not sure you realy get 153 or 129 :censored2:

@dnjmarlboro : 391x9, everything off in CPU features except NX of course, DRAM Read Static Control = Disabled, the two Spread Spectrum things = Disabled, PCIe freq = 107MHz (else it gets recognized as x1 and not x16), ram = 782Mhz (1:1), timing 4 4 4 12, FSB Termination voltage = 1,4V, DRAM Voltage = 2V, CPU voltage = 1.525 V and everything else is set to the default settings.

Never noticed any problem running at this frequency.

agrafuese, iam just delete NVinject and all other injectors. Iam trying many other methods and kext... but i cant run my xfx 8800gt 512 at full power...

Trying many NVinject versions = nothing new happens.

Trying to add NVCAP generated from roms of my geforce to kexts and gfx string but nothing happens too...

Trying some installers such as NVinstaller 33 but i has panic after ...

help plz))

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "but i cant run my xfx 8800gt 512 at full power..."

Are you getting QE/CI? Can you change resolutions?

Or are you just saying that you aren't getting the amount of performance that you'd like? If that's the case, post your OpenGL EV benchmarks and maybe give us your OpenMark scores too.

@cyclonefr: You can get OpenMark from my post above (see post #35 on page 2). It's actually not a bad benchmarker. It's old, but a pretty good stress-test on graphics, really. But we already know your OpenMark scores will be really high compared too ours because you have a SUPER SYSTEM, apparently. :) Also, can you tell us what your clock speed on your 8800GT is? Is it manually OC'ed or factory OC'ed? Mine is just stock 600MHz. I haven't tried OC'ing it yet, because I have the crappy stock fan on it and don't want to push it.

EDIT: Now that I see all of your scores, I definitely think I'm bottlenecking on my system with this card :P Oh well, time to start saving up for Intel parts for my next hackintosh. I'm done messing around with this AMD compatibility {censored} anyway ;)

PPZ, in your latest bench you forgot to check NVFast so i'm not sure you realy get 153 or 129 :P

You seem to me like some kind of philosopher....

btw, I don't remember seeing any of benchmark of YOUR system :)

So, look once more if you wish.First one is normal, NON-overclocked.Second one is OVERCLOCKED, 3.2GHz, CPU Voltage 1.3625 V, PCI Express frequency 105MHz.

Whatever.I can pump those benchmarks as you like, but I still don't see any REAL improvement.So, I am starting to think that you are payed by some 8800GT dealer to make commercial for good OS X cards :P

Just joking of course, but I don't see some TERRIBLE difference with that NV thing on....

As Agrafuese said, last test depends alot from CPU, and here is proof:

post-88863-1204153633_thumb.png

post-88863-1204153644_thumb.png

post-88863-1204153786_thumb.png

Woah PPZ, those are your scores WITHOUT the benchmark option checked? I just saw that in your screenshots. Is that wrong somehow? Those should be your scores WITH it checked. Without it checked, you should have MUCH higher scores (each one in the 1000s range) if I'm not mistaken. Let me know if I'm missing something, but that doesn't seem right. Also, make sure you aren't running any other programs.

btw, I don't remember seeing any of benchmark of YOUR system :)

Seriously! Cough them up cyclone! Let's see this magical system in action (otherwise you ARE a spokesman for Nvidia!) Haha ^_^

Yes, I am. (used the retail disk I used to install it on my MBP :))

Well, plugging my monitor into the white slot made a big difference. My computer is snappier and enjoys showing me things much more.

The crash issue is still there tho...and when i tried to run WOW... it locked up... SSH'd in from another machine and tried to reboot via command line and it gray screened

Then after hard reset, i ran the Open Mark test and that also froze up the machine

logged in and tried to kill that service, and reboot... it could not reboot... see this error (having an issue with the Kext Manager

*** FINAL System shutdown message from user@HEAT.local ***

System going down IMMEDIATELY

shutdown: WARNING: couldn't lock kext manager for reboot: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Any ideas?

Oh man, you are torturing me! :)

OK, here are results after I played some time with bios settings and so....

FIRST picture is WITH benchmark on, and PCI Express frequency of standard 100MHz.Second one is also WITH benchmark on, but with PCI Express freq set to 107MHz.As you can see it makes quite a difference.In both cases CPU was clocked to 3GHz.

post-88863-1204173616_thumb.png

post-88863-1204173626_thumb.png

PPZ, I'm really surprised at how bad your scores are. Did you see mine at all? My system is nowhere near as powerful as yours and the scores are about twice as high in some cases. The only one that isn't is the 2.1 score (because of my slower CPU). But the others...you should look into that. Here are some questions for you:

Do you have the 512MB or 256MB version of the 8800GT? (I assume 512, but I have to ask to make sure)

Did you try switching your monitor to the other output on the card?

Are you running ANY programs while benchmarking?

With scores like that, it's no wonder you're having such poor performance with your card. Something isn't right. Perhaps your overclocking isn't right? I noticed a significant drop in my scores when I tried to push my FSB the wrong way, so I set it back. When you say "without overclocking" do you mean that you're setting all of your BIOS settings back to default, or only some of them? What is your PCI Express frequency default? Perhaps you need to stay on that...I've heard that that setting is better left untouched in most cases.

@LTL: I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles too. Wish I could suggest something. Are you also overclocking your system? Perhaps this is an issue for you too?

EDIT: Just to reinforce what I mean, here are my newest scores when I am overclocked to 2200MHz. The first one is with benchmark turned ON, the second is with it OFF:

post-66307-1204181474_thumb.png

post-66307-1204181481_thumb.png

I am not overclocked... system is running great, just can not play wow

PPZ, I'm really surprised at how bad your scores are. Did you see mine at all? My system is nowhere near as powerful as yours and the scores are about twice as high in some cases. The only one that isn't is the 2.1 score (because of my slower CPU). But the others...you should look into that. Here are some questions for you:

Do you have the 512MB or 256MB version of the 8800GT? (I assume 512, but I have to ask to make sure)

Did you try switching your monitor to the other output on the card?

Are you running ANY programs while benchmarking?

With scores like that, it's no wonder you're having such poor performance with your card. Something isn't right. Perhaps your overclocking isn't right? I noticed a significant drop in my scores when I tried to push my FSB the wrong way, so I set it back. When you say "without overclocking" do you mean that you're setting all of your BIOS settings back to default, or only some of them? What is your PCI Express frequency default? Perhaps you need to stay on that...I've heard that that setting is better left untouched in most cases.

@LTL: I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles too. Wish I could suggest something. Are you also overclocking your system? Perhaps this is an issue for you too?

EDIT: Just to reinforce what I mean, here are my newest scores when I am overclocked to 2200MHz. The first one is with benchmark turned ON, the second is with it OFF: