The LG P300

6 posts in this topic

• 8 months later...

I thought so! My wife bought one of these and I put 10.5.3 on it. We are pleased with the result, but here is what works and doesn't:

Working:

- Keyboard, trackpad

- SD slot

- Audio output and internal speakers

- Internal camera

- Both CPU cores

- Wifi using replacement Broadcom card ordered on eBay (BCM-4311)

- Bluetooth

- Internal Ethernet

- USB

- Graphics with full QE Acceleration

- Internal mic with hardware modification (hacked in a Logitech USB headset board + microphone, connecting to internal ExpressCard slot USB port.

Not working:

- Sleep (sleeping messes up Wifi and other devices, requiring reboot)

- External USB DVD drive not recognized by DVD Player (requires VLC to play DVDs)

- Battery meter sometimes works :(

- Internal Wifi which shipped with the laptop (required replacement, see above)

The following are the steps I followed. I would appreciate input from anyone who knows how to correct the sleep issue and/or get the battery meter fully working as that is all that separates us from a 100% perfect install.

1. Install Kalyway 10.5.2 with default (sleep_kernel)

- select NVinjectGO

- do not select other options, other than "thirds applications"

- remember to include pacifist and kexthelper b7 (or download these later). Kexthelper greatly simplifies kext installation

2. Install Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate, but do not install the kernel update

3. Install AppleACPIPlatform.kext and Chun Nan's ApplePS2Controller.kext using kexthelper b7

4. Replace internal wireless card (under keyboard to the right) with Broadcom BCM 4311 card. Airport now works.

5. Install NVinstaller52, select "go (mobile/laptop)"

6. Install the USB Fix Installer and reboot. USB attach/removal should now be working.

7. Install Power management fix installer to get battery meter display. Does not properly detect AC power.

Required Files

USB Fix Installer

Reference

NVinstaller5.2

Chun Nan's PS2 and ACPI Power Management Fix (attached to this post)

Battery meter fix installer (attached to this post)

Hope this helps someone else out!

Some other notes:

- I tested other kernels from the 10.5.2 DVD and could not get others to work

- 10.5.4 Combo update upgrade trashed the system; I was then discouraged enough not to try the 10.5.4 delta update

- Sleep is currently messing up both wired and wireless network connections and possibly other things. I have simply disabled sleep for the time being.

- the LG P300 seems to ship with garbage RAM. If after 1-2 months of operation you get panics, look at this first. It cost me a fully working installation of OSX because I did fsck before checking that the RAM was okay.

Good luck!

PS2Fix_10.5.zip

BatteryMeter.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
wow you put a lot of work in ur P300 ;)

I have a keybord issue where I have to sleep and wake for it to work =(

running 10.5.5 though

Hello, I realize this is an old post but i was wondering if you have everything else working with 10.5.5 and if so which installer did you use? did you use a guide?

I would really appreciate your help, I have a P310 and I'm just fed up with windows.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...
I thought so! My wife bought one of these and I put 10.5.3 on it. We are pleased with the result, but here is what works and doesn't:

Working:

- Keyboard, trackpad

- SD slot

- Audio output and internal speakers

- Internal camera

- Both CPU cores

- Wifi using replacement Broadcom card ordered on eBay (BCM-4311)

- Bluetooth

- Internal Ethernet

- USB

- Graphics with full QE Acceleration

- Internal mic with hardware modification (hacked in a Logitech USB headset board + microphone, connecting to internal ExpressCard slot USB port.

Not working:

- Sleep (sleeping messes up Wifi and other devices, requiring reboot)

- External USB DVD drive not recognized by DVD Player (requires VLC to play DVDs)

- Battery meter sometimes works :(

- Internal Wifi which shipped with the laptop (required replacement, see above)

The following are the steps I followed. I would appreciate input from anyone who knows how to correct the sleep issue and/or get the battery meter fully working as that is all that separates us from a 100% perfect install.

1. Install Kalyway 10.5.2 with default (sleep_kernel)

- select NVinjectGO

- do not select other options, other than "thirds applications"

- remember to include pacifist and kexthelper b7 (or download these later). Kexthelper greatly simplifies kext installation

2. Install Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate, but do not install the kernel update

3. Install AppleACPIPlatform.kext and Chun Nan's ApplePS2Controller.kext using kexthelper b7

4. Replace internal wireless card (under keyboard to the right) with Broadcom BCM 4311 card. Airport now works.

5. Install NVinstaller52, select "go (mobile/laptop)"

6. Install the USB Fix Installer and reboot. USB attach/removal should now be working.

7. Install Power management fix installer to get battery meter display. Does not properly detect AC power.

Required Files

USB Fix Installer

Reference

NVinstaller5.2

Chun Nan's PS2 and ACPI Power Management Fix (attached to this post)

Battery meter fix installer (attached to this post)

Hope this helps someone else out!

Some other notes:

- I tested other kernels from the 10.5.2 DVD and could not get others to work

- 10.5.4 Combo update upgrade trashed the system; I was then discouraged enough not to try the 10.5.4 delta update

- Sleep is currently messing up both wired and wireless network connections and possibly other things. I have simply disabled sleep for the time being.

- the LG P300 seems to ship with garbage RAM. If after 1-2 months of operation you get panics, look at this first. It cost me a fully working installation of OSX because I did fsck before checking that the RAM was okay.

Good luck!

DUDE YOU ARE THE BEST! IVE GOT A FULL WORKING OS ON MY P300!! (I just loooooooove my laptop!!)

I cant thank u enough!!!

• 3 weeks later...
DUDE YOU ARE THE BEST! IVE GOT A FULL WORKING OS ON MY P300!! (I just loooooooove my laptop!!)

I cant thank u enough!!!

I also got it up and running:

included ps/2 support in patches and realtek in ethernet section to get it working

for wifi problem i have bought a usb wifi branded edimax ew-77IIUSn. Installed the driver and immediatly got connected to the internet.

As A matter of fact i am now typing my message using the new apple system from my lg p300 utalizing the usb wifi soluition

The only problem i now have is the sound that is not yet working.

regards,