Have GA-P35-DS3L in AHCI mode. SATA ports needed

Pandar

5 posts in this topic

Hi

OK, I followed largely the advice in this thread and installed Kalyway 10.5.1, which has now been upgraded to 10.5.2. Everything is working great, but I need more SATA ports. My DVD drive is SATA, and so is my boot drive. Although the BIOS recognizes an extra drive, it doesn't show in OSX. I have several drives and would like to load them in my case. Is there a solution for this that anyone is aware of? Can I just buy a SATA PCI card? If so, what kind?

Thanks in advance...

Pandar

Hi

Thanks for the answer, but as you stated in your guide, more than about 3.5 gigs of ram can't be used unless AHCI is enabled. This may be a non-issue for some, for not for me. I use Logic Pro, and large amounts of RAM are very helpful. I will probably move to 8 GB once I get a SATA card that will give me extra ports. If I can't make that happen, I will get a different board and rebuild. I'll post in the thread if I do find the answer. I guess no one in this thread has this answer. I actually ordered a 2 port sata card. I found OSX drivers for it, and hopefully it will work.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Pandar

I dont believe 8gb of ram has an issue without AHCI. It is only over 3.5gb of ram with 4gb installed. It can use all 8gb if installed (maybe sligthly less ~7.5..) i dont really know if there is an issue with Kernel panics and 8gb of ram.. but i know you can use atleast most of it.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont believe 8gb of ram has an issue without AHCI. It is only over 3.5gb of ram with 4gb installed. It can use all 8gb if installed (maybe sligthly less ~7.5..) i dont really know if there is an issue with Kernel panics and 8gb of ram.. but i know you can use atleast most of it.

Interesting...I just got a DS3L and I guess I'll get 8GB of ram now :) ...curious that it can use 8GB without crashing but 4gb fouls it up.