99,999 Replies

(MoC)

99,999 Reply Vote of 2008  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a 99,999 replies thread?

• Yes
    • No

43 posts in this topic

As our current 9999 reply thread is nearing a beautiful end, many of us users have decided to begin a new one which "bedlight" will start. We have been debating with the admin(s) [Mostly Sabr] and some users and cannot come to an agreement. So, I want to ask you InsanelyUsers if there should be another one or if there should not.

My vote is yes, we have had fun times in there and have contributed to the site in different ways too. Just give us a break!!

I second Sabr's suggestion:

A general "Life, the Universe, and Everything (else)" topic would be fine. As long as it's focus and only point is not to increase post count. ;)

- Sabr.

But I am dead against a thread which goes on and on without any purpose whatsoever.

Such a thing diminishes the level of this forum. What can new visitors think of us?

To everybody: if you really like posting, do use your brain, make an effort and write something meaningful.

How about you just hide post counts altogether? Many forums I visit that don't care about how many times a user has posted always generate much more interesting discussion.

I've been here a year almost, and I've only posted 39 times. ;)

A general "Life, the Universe, and Everything (else)" topic would be fine. As long as it's focus and only point is not to increase post count. ;)

- Sabr.

I second Sabr's suggestion:

But I am dead against a thread which goes on and on without any purpose whatsoever.

Such a thing diminishes the level of this forum. What can new visitors think of us?

To everybody: if you really like posting, do use your brain, make an effort and write something meaningful.

QFE. An IRC like thread were people post and discuss random things with no set topic would be fine. However, while there are posts like that in the '9,999 replies thread' there are also a lot of post that are simply numbers (i.e. 8249). So, I'm against '99,999 replies' but for 'discuss anything'.

MoC, when will you listen (or, rather, read in this case)? You have yet to provide me with a valid argument FOR a 99,999 replies thread.

Here are my arguments against this idea:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=625878

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=626185

Now, please, re-read my posts and tell me how this 99,999 replies thread will benefit the forum.

I never said that it would be a very large contribution to the forum. I just see it as a means for the community to converse about some personal things or very random ones without having to go through the embarrassing creation of a thread knowing people will poke fun at them and etc. Not too many people go to 9999 replies and the few that go there have moral values which lead to a proper conversation. It will keep the community together and create a sense of fun.

I understand your points clearly, but let it loose a little Sabr. At the end it's the decision of what the community wants and what the staff wants aswell. There will be a result, either yours or mine at the end. In the meantime let's decide which one...

I never said that it would be a very large contribution to the forum. I just see it as a means for the community to converse about some personal things or very random ones without having to go through the embarrassing creation of a thread knowing people will poke fun at them and etc. Not too many people go to 9999 replies and the few that go there have moral values which lead to a proper conversation. It will keep the community together and create a sense of fun.

I understand your points clearly, but let it loose a little Sabr. At the end it's the decision of what the community wants and what the staff wants aswell. There will be a result, either yours or mine at the end. In the meantime let's decide which one...

I see what you're saying. But I feel you've contradicted yourself a little bit. You say that not many people go there, yet somehow it keeps the community together? Well, the member-base spreads out much more than 10 or 20 people. Does it not?

And don't worry, I won't get embarrassed. I have no problem making a topic for general conversation. In fact, I'll do it now. :)

Edit:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88205

no, people use it to inflate the {censored} out of their post count with totally worthless posts. instead of earning it, they just sit there and do every other one for hundreds of times........ it makes certain members look like they contributed when they did nothing more than #s

it was fun while it lasted guys..... but do we really need to do it again?

One thing though, doesn't that also increase post count. Why not make the whole Thunderdome not increase count. It's basically random conversation that doesn't contribute to the forum THAT much. it could be like the Website Invitation Exchange.

By the way, this is my last contradiction because there will ALWAYS be something fun or interesting to do here, be it counting or flaming. The new topic could be something nice, and I accept it as a fun alternative to 99,999 replies if there will not be one.

How about instead of a 99,999 thread we had a Random Conversations thread where you talk about whatever and let it drift and drift and drift and drift until OS X1000 comes out?

It's not as useless as stupid one liner 99,999 thread and might actually be nice.

How about instead of a 99,999 thread we had a Random Conversations thread where you talk about whatever and let it drift and drift and drift and drift until OS X1000 comes out?

It's not as useless as stupid one liner 99,999 thread and might actually be nice.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88205

One thing though, doesn't that also increase post count. Why not make the whole Thunderdome not increase count. It's basically random conversation that doesn't contribute to the forum THAT much. it could be like the Website Invitation Exchange.

By the way, this is my last contradiction because there will ALWAYS be something fun or interesting to do here, be it counting or flaming. The new topic could be something nice, and I accept it as a fun alternative to 99,999 replies if there will not be one.

I mean.....

i can post "1"

then "3"

then "5"

thats pretty ;) ing worthless....

random conversation at least has some depth.... its not AS bad.....

you can contribute to a thread talking about something random.... but spitting out the next # in sequence is EXTRA worthless (at least according to me....)