so i thought i could install the 10.5.2 update

kidnexus

9 posts in this topic

so here i have a nice working install of 10.5.1 kalyway (vanilla kernel). i was probably wrong to assume that i could update using the software update directly from apple because i was using the vanilla kernel. anyway before i realized how ignorant i might have been, it downloads, restarts, on the restart it starts intalling the update then gets to 53% and the machine freezes (goes to the "must shut down computer" black box). now i can't boot into my installation. everytime it gets to the apple loading screen it goes to that same black box and tells me to restart/shutdown my computer.

the real question here is-

can i re-install kalyway 10.5.1 over my current installation so that it doesn't erase my current partition? or is there any other way to fix this problem?

yes. i'm an idiot and didn't backup before running the update.

Easy on the language. Help the man who's in trouble!

First you need to tell us whether you have a Time Machine backup - if so, great! Boot into your Leopard DVD and choose Utilities>Restore from TM backup... and you're sorted.

If you don't, you'll need to use a memory stick and back everything up in -s mode (press F8 on bootup choose -s, hit return). Copy your files over (you'll need to use some googling...).

Third and last, go to your install DVD, on the screen where you choose where you want to install OS X, click and hold clicked the hard disk icon. A menu will come up. Choose archive and install.

Sorted.

Good luck.

sadly, i didn't think to check this forum until after i tried updating. i'm guessing that vanilla kernel would work for every update except for 10.5.2. otherwise what would be the point in installing it in the first place, correct?

unfortuneatly i hadn't even touched time machine to see how it worked, so i'll have to go about it the hard way i guess. thanks wahwahman. i'll try that out as soon as i get home from work tonight then return here with an update.

didnt mean to offend with my post, just picking off from where he said "i am an idiot because.." and fixing it with why he really was an idiot. I cant really thing of a way to reinstall the stuff back.. other than put in the 10.5.1 disk and choose the install option which creates a folder of your current install (not bootable but viewable) and does a clean install.. so you can go back into that other folder and view everything,

well yes your install is lost.. but if it is a matter of getting important files.. (shame on you for putting important files on the operating system partition anyway) then you can just connect the hard drive to another computer and view its contents...

let this be a lesson.. never keep any unique files on the os partition (whether it be windows or osx). Os partitions are for installing programs and loading the os and etc. Data partitions are for pictures, music, downloads, etc.

i'm still getting the same result when i do an install with the archived option as well. seems that my install is all but lost at this point

I really don't see why you are trying to save a hosed install anyways. You mentioned you didn't even try the 10.5.1 install so that kind off tells us that you didn't have anything of any use on the OS disk.

Just reformat it and re-install 10.5.1 and update using methods provided on this forum. And in the future don't assume updates will work..... and you will be fine ;)

Just stop wasting time, you could have been up and running allready.