Backup a good install?

TheDon

2 posts in this topic

I've noticed that if you are not careful, any of the steps used to get something to work could crash your setup on the next reboot. Im coming from a PC background. With PCs Ive used all types of backups. But on this other OS, Im not familiar with anything. Whats the best way to backup Leopard in a way that we can undo a bad update?

I've noticed that if you are not careful, any of the steps used to get something to work could crash your setup on the next reboot. Im coming from a PC background. With PCs Ive used all types of backups. But on this other OS, Im not familiar with anything. Whats the best way to backup Leopard in a way that we can undo a bad update?

Hi, I have used Ghost version 8 to perform a complete image backup and restore successfully. I had to choose restore "Partition from Image" opposed to restore "Disk from Image" due it stating that I didn't have enough free space on the destination drive. Maybe I should have blown the partition away.

I didn't have any success restoring using Time Machine as it blew away the partition tables so after a successful restore, I found that I didn't have my EFI v8 partition to boot properly. I booted into the DVD and installed EFI post-restore and it booted but gave me problems when logging on. The system was a bit unstable at times so I decided to restore from the ghost backup.

Maybe you can boot from DVD and backup your internal drive to an image on an external drive and try from there. All that would be needed is to reinstall EFi on a freshly partitioned drive and then restore from that image I believe.

Good luck.