Increasing Menu Translucency in 10.5.2

11 posts in this topic

I know that most macheads out there would cry 'blasphemer' and hurl rocks at me for saying this, but I really like translucency in an operating system UI (be it Vista, Mac or another UNIX-y OS). I admit that it is just functionless eye candy and that such effects do have the potential to drag down overall system performance. And in 1998 I might have cared about this loss of performance, but since we have these powerful 800 GFLOPs capable GPUs, why not use them for a few meaningless visual effects? But I don't want to get off on a rant here...

Anyway, in 10.5.1 the drop-down menus (and whatever you want to call the right-click menu) were ever so slightly translucent (like 4-5%). In 10.5.2, Apple changed them to be 100% opaque (at least mine are 100% opaque, even though the menubar is still translucent). In short, I want the translucency back, if possible. Has anyone found a .plist setting to change the menu (and/or menubar) translucency? That would be chill, because then we could adjust the menus to be as translucent as we wanted (I personally like the truly translucent menus that OS X 10.1, etc... had).

This is one interesting thing I've noticed. If you right click in Safari, the menu is opaque. But if you right click on the desktop, the menu is slightly transparent.

Don't believe me? Try it.

:)

• 1 month later...
This is one interesting thing I've noticed. If you right click in Safari, the menu is opaque. But if you right click on the desktop, the menu is slightly transparent.

:P

I tried it. It doesn't appear transparent on the desktop..

lol

:(

I don't believe you. :)

The function is rendered on OS X, not Safari, so a transparent right-click on the desktop would be just as transparent as a right-click in any other program.

I don't believe you. ;)

The function is rendered on OS X, not Safari, so a transparent right-click on the desktop would be just as transparent as a right-click in any other program.

Yeah - you're right.

However, the menu is slightly transparent. This can be seen easier by inverting the image:

tranparencyey8.jpg

It is, but I thought this is what we were comparing:

comparisonvw3.png

The original post was about the menus being 100% opaque. The main reason I posted that image was to show they weren't opaque. :thumbsup_anim:

• 3 weeks later...