Help me build my first computer! (A HACKINTOSH!)

7 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, I was wondering if some of you could help me with building this hackintosh. Thanks in advance....

OKay so, I'm gonna be using this for a pretty good amount of video editing. Lots of FCP, some Motion stuff, etc. I really want to spend $800, but thats probably not possible for what I want. Lets say $1000 budget, but as cheap as possible is better!

I'm probably gonna use a lot of the components lifehacker used for their article. One because they're good components, and two, I shouldn't have to do too much hacking.

Heres the plan:

Case- I'll find something

CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4 GHZ

Motherboard- I like the Asus P5W DH Deluxe, but its alittle pricy. Any other suggestions appreciated!

Hard Drives- Im gonna have two internals, plus I have a few externals already. Boot drive- Western Digital Raptor 150GB Hard Drive More storage- Samsung Spinpoint T Series 500gb 7200rpm

RAM- I guess OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB kit?

DVD Drive- I'll find any old thing.

Graphics Card- I have NO CLUE! I want something thats gonna be able to handle some Motion stuff, but dont want to spend too much cash.

And I think thats everything! I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

P.S. I'm 14 years old! So I'm not really good at hacking and everything yet. I do have a pretty darn good understanding of computers though, so if you recomend any parts.... The less hacking and patches the better! =] Thank you

Mobo: GA-P35-DS3L? It's like $99.

Another question... I'm planning on buying the The Intel Q6600 Quad core. Are there any other better CPUs? I saw a lot of the Xeon's which looked like the same price, or cheaper. Are the Xeon's better? If so, Why? Is a bigger cache better? I have no clue. Thanks

any firwire pci card will work cause apple came up with firewire.

i don't know if it is in your price range but give the Bad Axe 2 Mobo a look at.