Computer Corporations & the Environment.

10 posts in this topic

Superstition: Manages a whole bunch of iMac G4's which can't run Leopard and can't be upgraded to run Leopard. He's pissed about it. This topic is for you, baby.

>> If an upgrade kit were made available I would do it, if the price were reasonable. We also have a contract with a servicing center and in a world where good machines like flat panel iMacs aren't designed to be thrown into the trash before their time, such a center would probably do such work. It IS much more efficient to use existing equipment if it's fully functional than it is to throw it into a landfill. Those flat panel iMacs in our lab have good LCD panels, good keyboards, good mice, good cases/steel arms, good ports, etc. The disposable mentality dictates that landfills and ecological disaster are generally out of sight and out of mind and that corporate profits and individuals laziness are more important than recycling and upgrading. <<

Discuss.

iMac with steel arms? Those are the really cool looking ones right? (clicks over to eBay)

Yeah, in my opinion if the iMac G4 had a small redesign with some brushed steel it would look better than the current models.

The iMac G4's were hideous, or at least I thought so. I also thought that the iMac G5, the iMac Core Duo, and the iMac Core Two Duo were ugly. The Aluminum iMac looks nice however. Anyways, this idea doesn't make any sense to me. The LCDs are not good, they are low resolution by todays standards. The motherboard and everything is PPC, so its not like you can just slap a new intel proc in there. Plus, in a computer like the iMac, gutting it and replacing the motherboard, ram, processor and video card is not easy because of how compacted everything is. When I go to build a new computer, I don't typically reuse my case, I buy a newer and more modern one. There would be little benefit to Apple if they did this, in fact it would be a money pit and a nightmare. If Apple wanted to help the environment, they could provide a service for the disposal of old Macs... oh wait they already do :)

How do you think they are hideous? I could understand the G5 and Core Duo. Those were fugly. The aluminum looks alright, but I would much rather get a G4. Actually, if they ever brought the design back, I wouldn't hesitate getting one. Maybe as like an Anniversary Edition.

The iMac G4's were hideous, or at least I thought so. I also thought that the iMac G5, the iMac Core Duo, and the iMac Core Two Duo were ugly. The Aluminum iMac looks nice however. Anyways, this idea doesn't make any sense to me. The LCDs are not good, they are low resolution by todays standards. The motherboard and everything is PPC, so its not like you can just slap a new intel proc in there. Plus, in a computer like the iMac, gutting it and replacing the motherboard, ram, processor and video card is not easy because of how compacted everything is. When I go to build a new computer, I don't typically reuse my case, I buy a newer and more modern one. There would be little benefit to Apple if they did this, in fact it would be a money pit and a nightmare. If Apple wanted to help the environment, they could provide a service for the disposal of old Macs... oh wait they already do :D

Listen, but there's where you go off point. It's not about speed or design compared to today's computers; it's about functionality. Why can't these be used in let's say some elementary schools for kids to do some light copy/paste images and word processing. I'm telling you that they are not gonna need a giant ass screen or some powerful dual-core processor.

It's not about speed or design compared to today's computers; it's about functionality. Why can't these be used in let's say some elementary schools for kids to do some light copy/paste images and word processing. I'm telling you that they are not gonna need a giant ass screen or some powerful dual-core processor.

Uh, they can be used in elementary schools for word processing. But the stock G4, display, moterboard etc are fine for that. No upgrade is needed.