Looking for a Hackintosh setup...

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, this is my first post in this excelent forum, so please forgive my bad English ;)

I want to built a Hackintosh since I'm tired of Windows and I want something different, and I don't have enough cash to buy a Mac!!

The first setup I saw is this one: http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack...-800-321913.php

But it seems to me that the GPU would be out-of-date in a little time...

For me, the perfect setup would be the one of the 20'' iMac with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, so the main spects are:

• 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1GB memory (I'll put more RAM surely!!)
  • 320GB hard drive (this doesn't matter)
  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

All of the tech specs are here http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

This is my ideal setup, I supposse it is impossible to achieve the exact one but I would like the closest posible to this one.

Oh! I would like to spend between 700€ (in dollars, about 1,015$). I know that in the US I could buy an entire iMac for just a little more, but in Spain the cheapest iMac costs 1100€...about 1,600 $...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Get the GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard. Most of the things work out the box, except for audio which need skippy's ALC888 driver. For the processor, I'd say get a new 45nm Core 2 with 2GB of ram. For graphics, I don't really know much about the DX10 cards, but I don't think they work well with OS X yet. For the hard-drive, get anything SATA which would work perfectly with the ICH7 of the motherboard.

what is your budget? If you can, go with the Q6600 CPU and the Bad Axe 2 Mobo, if you can.

also 8 gigs of ram is very cheap now so you can get 8 for around 135. the more the marrier!! the more you can get the better.

for wifi look on the wiki for a pci card, if you get the right one it will show up as Airport.

for the DVD drive, i would think that any would work okay, make sure it is the right kind for your Mobo, IDE or SATA

don't quote me on the fact that any will work, but i think so.

Hope this helps!!

I'll throw in my opinion here and say avoid the Bad Axe. It uses an old chipset that won't allow for future 45nm CPUs, like the E8400, afaik. Grab a Gigabyte P35-DS3L[or similar] series, which has great compatibility just like the BA and is more future proof.