roneil4

Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

957 posts in this topic

Sound recorder in windoze records stuff without external microphone and there is a little hole in front of the keyboard an inch left of the right hinge.

A few things I forgot

The key to the right of the left shift key (‹ › and | on a swedish one, | and \ on a uk one) isn't recognized at all. Not even when selecting a layout with it present and watching the keycodes in ukelele. I have no idea why this is so or how to fix it, there are other ways of getting the characters whith one stroke so I never bothered too much.

The light sensor doesn't do anything with brightness even thought it's turned on in bios.

/roos

Advertisement
Do you have a d630 or d830? Thats two people in a row saying that mute works. Did you do anything differently from the instructions in the guide?

I have a d630 and i followed the instructions exactly as you stated. Thanks for the offer of sending me the kexts though, i eventually succumbed to paying the b@stards cause i was just so close to getting it all sorted. It just feels like a rip off paying that much for 3mb. If anyone needs those kexts i'll also happily send it to you, just pm me. I won't help rapidshare rip off more people.

Now we just need to hope someone sorts out the network card issue. Also, have you had issues with your usb ports in this yet or does a flash drive have to be formatted before it's seen (even in disk utility).

I have a d630 and i followed the instructions exactly as you stated. Thanks for the offer of sending me the kexts though, i eventually succumbed to paying the b@stards cause i was just so close to getting it all sorted. It just feels like a rip off paying that much for 3mb. If anyone needs those kexts i'll also happily send it to you, just pm me. I won't help rapidshare rip off more people.

Now we just need to hope someone sorts out the network card issue. Also, have you had issues with your usb ports in this yet or does a flash drive have to be formatted before it's seen (even in disk utility).

I thought it was free to download stuff on rapidshare. Do you live outside the US?

I thought it was free to download stuff on rapidshare. Do you live outside the US?

I live in south africa and it's supposed to be free to download from rapidshare but whenever you try downloading from them they say that the download has expired and i have to try again. It's the same with other companies like rapidshare where they'll tell you to input the code in the picture to do the download and it just keeps on saying it's the incorrect code

I also can't seem to find the posting i know i saw somewhere where someone mentioned how to get ahci working in windows xp so that you can dual boot with ahci. Could someone maybe point me in the right direction?

You were right roneil, it was misleading (the mute button). In my case it doesn't work as the rest of you. The battery icon however works beautifully :)

Thank you all for the guide. Now I am running 10.5.4 on my D830.

iatkos 2.0i install by following the guide. installed the VGA driver on the dvd and it works with nvs 140m video card.

backed up al nv*.kexts.

did the 1.4b combo update, crash and burned b/c forgot to restore the nv*kext files.

2nd install of iatkos 2.0i with no VGA driver selected. updated with 1.4b combo updates. no problem. Mac os updated to 10.5.4. no problem.

restored the nv*kext files and run nvkush.

everything is fine now.

thanks all again for the guide.

I forgot to answer your second question, but the only time I ever had usb problems was when I had speedstep enabled. The speedstep kernel breaks usb 2.0 support for our laptops. Are you using the vanilla kernel?

I live in south africa and it's supposed to be free to download from rapidshare but whenever you try downloading from them they say that the download has expired and i have to try again. It's the same with other companies like rapidshare where they'll tell you to input the code in the picture to do the download and it just keeps on saying it's the incorrect code

What would be a better site to use? Insanelymac has an upload limit, and those files didn't fit it. I always used rapidshare because it was convenient, but I have also seen people use mediaupload.

I also can't seem to find the posting i know i saw somewhere where someone mentioned how to get ahci working in windows xp so that you can dual boot with ahci. Could someone maybe point me in the right direction?

It is actually somewhat complex. I don't remember where I got some files, but I have a batch file that will enable AHCI for our specific chipset. Originally getting these files working involved modifying the batch file based on the chipset (replacing many numbers with our specific chipset id). I can post the files here if you want, but do you think I should add them to the guide?

Thank you all for the guide. Now I am running 10.5.4 on my D830.

iatkos 2.0i install by following the guide. installed the VGA driver on the dvd and it works with nvs 140m video card.

backed up al nv*.kexts.

did the 1.4b combo update, crash and burned b/c forgot to restore the nv*kext files.

2nd install of iatkos 2.0i with no VGA driver selected. updated with 1.4b combo updates. no problem. Mac os updated to 10.5.4. no problem.

restored the nv*kext files and run nvkush.

everything is fine now.

thanks all again for the guide.

Thats great! Another successful experience with this laptop. I still need to update the nvidia section of the guide, so I'll do that soon (I hope). Although I finished school a few weeks ago I started summer school at the beginning of this week, so I really can't do anything hackintosh related during the week, only weekends.

Hi,

i have two wireless cards in my D630.

One is the Intel 4965AGN but the second is an Atheros 50006x mini pci express card.

The Atheros do not work under osx.

Can anyone help me to use the Atheros?

I have installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and the 10.5.4 update

thx

Bsoplinger asked me to post this about the ahci in windows.

I stole this link from the Dell support forum. I think its a bit of overkill, but if you follow the instructions in about the middle page (4th or 5th posting) you'll be all set.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...d=235179#M66356

That link is broken, but I'm pretty sure have something easier here. I attached some files, so download those. This applies if you are running windows xp with the ATA setting in the bios. Decompress the file, and go into the prepare folder. Open the file install.cmd, then reboot your computer. Once the computer goes off and is starting up again, press f2 to get into the bios settings. Under performance, switch disk mode to AHCI. Now boot xp. When it finishes booting, it should say something about finding new hardware. Now head over to intel.com and install the intel matrix storage manager app. Now you're done!

Don't worry about the readme in the file, I already prepared everything to work for our chipset.

Is there a noticeable performance gain by using AHCI ? I was able to install vanilla kernel with no problems using ATA and my machine seems to run fine.

I think I figured out why my upgrade to 10.5.4 failed the first time... I mistyped the filename for CPUPowerManagement.kext...

One thing that I did not know about OS X is that after I did a re-install without formatting all my applications, desktop wallpaper and autorun apps were still there. Coming from Windows this was a shocker!

Also, apparently the first time I downloaded the GMAX3100 zip I either deleted one of the files or it was not there. I re-downloaded and compared the two folders and I was missing natit.kext. This was causing the screen to stay black when it rebooted. reapplying all of the kext including natit.kext and my monitor is working just fine now and I am running 10.5.4 :)

Is there a noticeable performance gain by using AHCI ? I was able to install vanilla kernel with no problems using ATA and my machine seems to run fine.

I've never used it with ATA, but I have seen benchmarks suggesting that windows xp performance will not change significantly, but (in most cases) will be slightly higher. Vista performance can improve more significantly. I don't think any benchmarks are available for os x because all current os x computers use AHCI.

Hmm, I found out an interesting problem. My D830 (10.5.4) no longer detects USB devices when the machine is turned on. If they are connected at boot time however they are detected correctly. Very annoying. It works fine in windos and the usb controller itself is detected in osx and the ports even give power, but the os doesnt seem to see anything i connect to it.

Anyone experienced something like this?

Solved thanks to mysticus. This is apparently a common problem. The system.kext and the kernel have to have the same version number.

Hmm, I found out an interesting problem. My D830 (10.5.4) no longer detects USB devices when the machine is turned on. If they are connected at boot time however they are detected correctly. Very annoying. It works fine in windos and the usb controller itself is detected in osx and the ports even give power, but the os doesnt seem to see anything i connect to it.

Anyone experienced something like this?

Ok, Please help, i cant find a torrent for iatkos 2.0i that works, every time i download, it creates the image, then when you try and install it crashes and hangs, i eventually made my own, but with update problems from 10.5.2, in the middle of the update it just crashes, and give me that annoying gray screen prompting me to reboot. Any one got advice as to how i could solve this? i followed the guide listed above, but it it still crashes a few % later....

OK so here is a weird one.

Occasionally (and not sure what I am doing to cause this) the desktop will appear completely blank. No HR/DVD icons and any docs or files that are on the desktop will show up. If I open finder and click on desktop I see them just fine.

Problem usually goes away with a reboot. Has anyone else seen this?

Solved thanks to mysticus. This is apparently a common problem. The system.kext and the kernel have to have the same version number.

If you install vanilla updates, you can avoid this, so try to do that if you ever reinstall os x.

Ok, Please help, i cant find a torrent for iatkos 2.0i that works, every time i download, it creates the image, then when you try and install it crashes and hangs, i eventually made my own, but with update problems from 10.5.2, in the middle of the update it just crashes, and give me that annoying gray screen prompting me to reboot. Any one got advice as to how i could solve this? i followed the guide listed above, but it it still crashes a few % later....

No advice can be given about torrents directly, but try to look for iAtkos 1.0ir2. It is slightly older but works fine. And I don't know how you ended up installing os x, but if that is happening when updating it means you are doing something wrong.

OK so here is a weird one.

Occasionally (and not sure what I am doing to cause this) the desktop will appear completely blank. No HR/DVD icons and any docs or files that are on the desktop will show up. If I open finder and click on desktop I see them just fine.

Problem usually goes away with a reboot. Has anyone else seen this?

I used to see this very rarely when using Kalyway. To fix it without rebooting, open a terminal window and type "killall Finder" and press return. This should reset finder and fix the desktop.

That link is broken, but I'm pretty sure have something easier here. I attached some files, so download those. This applies if you are running windows xp with the ATA setting in the bios.

Where is the link for those files? Thanks for the help roneil.

I've never used it with ATA, but I have seen benchmarks suggesting that windows xp performance will not change significantly, but (in most cases) will be slightly higher. Vista performance can improve more significantly. I don't think any benchmarks are available for os x because all current os x computers use AHCI.

That was stupid of me, I forgot to upload the files. They are attached to this post.

AHCI_WINDOWS_XP_PATCH__no_Intel_Matrix_Storage_Manager_.zip

Please, help !

Installed 10.5.2 on D630.

Wifi, Sound are ok.

But still can't get full resolution with Nvidia Quadro NVS 135m.

Now things run with 1024x768x32.

Tried some kexts, nvinstallers. No luck.

By the way, while in BIOS, Dell says that the only video adapter is a Intel Crestline...

Should Quadro NVS 135m be seen in BIOS ?

God bless this forum.