Acer Extensa 4620Z (works, but with issues)

Shaska

24 posts in this topic

Ok, So I got a killer deal on this Acer notebook, almost 50% off retail price so I decided to go ahead and make myself a hackintosh out of it. Using the KALYWAY 10.5.1 iso I was able to install using the default options and then had to reboot into safe mode (-x) to install the files for my X3100 graphics adapter (works great now BTW). Anyways, Fair warning, I did not get a chance to check my device ID for the LAN port on the notebook pre install, so Now I'm without a LAN port till I get around to temporarily re-installing Vista to get it. Besides that, Webcam does not work, but everything else seems to work fine without any tweaking required.

(side note, from what Ive seen there are two of these 4620z notebooks, One with 1gb of ram, and mine with 2gb, I think the 1gb version even uses a different chipset and processor so I can't say how that install would go... But I figured I would at least share my experience on what seems to be a near perfect notebook to become a Hackintosh!)

Congrats on the good deal :wacko: Did you buy it on ebay from a seller named eblackhorse or something like that ? I just bought the same thing from that guy and waiting on delivery! I started a thred about the Iatkos r2 install on this system and have gotten so pretty good information in it.. been using it to keep notes to my self even lol. There is a fix for the sound to make volume control and head phones work also if I am not mistaken. Well Guess I will just have to keep following yet another extensa thread for progress till mine arrives lol! Good luck and have fun. Let me know if you need any help at all.

Actually, That eblackhorse guy got his from a Best Buy employee auction... Where I got mine... (Perk of working for the big blue box)

Also, because I didn't realize I could install KALYWAY using SSE3 by not checking the SSE2 option, Im trying that now to see how it runs... Also Today im going into work to look at another 4620Z to get the Hardware ID of the lan from it and post it in this thread so everyone can get ethernet working using the tricks posted HERE

Awesome...I can't wait to get mine, but right now it says it stuck in Utah because of adverse weather :unsure: I would highly recomend trying IAtkos r2 on that...seesm to be the best and has alot better performance from what I understand. x3100 work with qe and ci right out of the box. Wlan works out of the box sound also. Good luck and i will keep checking here...

I will have to give Iatkos r2 a try then...

With KALYWAY it was easy to install the VGA drivers, But besides that there has been no luck with LAN or audio jacks, The speakers work, But without headset support, Its kinda lame...

For sure need to check the post I linked you to. There is a fix for the headphone jack . It will give you sound from the speakers or headphones when you plug them in of course and will also allow volume control. Lan I am not sure about. Would be best if you have the chipset information and I will help you out. Most people don't fix it since they don't use it but I want it to work also. Keep me updated as you fix things and maybe I can use the info when mine comes in ;)

Yeah, I think before I give the iAtkos disc a try I will temporarily put vista back on to get a dump of all the hardware ID's and such, that way we can get things rolling on these new GL960 Chipset based notebooks...

Alright, So I gave some programs a try and found them more confusing then the good ole Device manager, So here we go:

(Device Name : HardwareID DeviceID)

Intel 965 Express (VGA x3100) : 8086 2A02

Acer Crystal Eye Webcam (Bison) : 064E A101

Texas Insturments Flash media Controller (PCIxx 12) : 104C 803B

Texas Insturments PCIxx12 Cardbuss Controller : 104C 8039

SDA Standard SD host Controller : 104C 803C

Agree Systems HDA Modem : 11C1 1040

Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet ( ) : 14E4 1693

Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter : 14E4 4311

Realtek HD Audio ( ) : 10EC 0268

Hopefully these can get the ball rolling on the EX4620Z Systems... In the meantime, I will continue experimentation with the iATKOS disc...

Good tip, I will have to use my Ubuntu or Sabayon disc next time, totally forgot about those...

Oh and on another note, It appears that the iATKOS disc does not like the 4620, It installs just fine, But is taking FOREVER to boot, also the video is shuttering so bad its taken literally 10 minutes just to show that "welcome" lettering junk...

EDIT: Ok so for sure, iATKOS seems to work worse for me, So I'm switching back to KALYWAY Edition, and manually installing the X3100 Drivers using the -x safe boot commands... Just overall seems to run smoother...

Side note: It appears that the broadcomm 440x Ethernet Driver DOES work though, So Im going to try manually installing it in the KALYWAY installation to see how well... (also going to install the ALC888 Drivers for sound too)

lol now KALYWAY isn't properly installing its own bootloader even though it was working fine before I attempted the iATKOS install... I think I may have to stop and run through hardware diagnostics to make sure the HDD I got isnt crapping out on me...

Ok, Update: Figured out the errors with the bootloaders, apparently re-installing 4 times magically got it to finally get the bootloader installed properly, and that works, Although I can confirm that the ALC888 drivers do not work, Actually they go as far as messing up the default Azalia drivers resulting in no audio at all... also the TI PCI cardbus drivers nuke the installation resulting in non bootable status... and then last but not lease the Broadcomm 440x drivers also damage the wi-fi system resulting in a step backwards not forwards... So, Long story short, avoid those guys, they are not 4620z friendly...

I will give that one a try now too, Worse comes to worse I can always reinstall OSX, 30 minute install time is awesome compared to 1-2 hrs for vista and 4 for xp!

Ok, The ALC268 HDA patchers work GREAT! full functioning audio now, Including headphone jacks and microphone input!

So now we basically just need to figure out how to get LAN, Webcam, and PC Card/Flash Card slots working and this notebook is fully functional!

EDIT: Avoid 10.5.2 like the plague right now... after following the installation instructions on the forums the trackpad and keyboard will quit working, Takes a TON of work to get it back up and going... Personally going to wait using 10.5.1 for a pre-made installer disc in the future...

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly how did you install Kalyway 10.5.1 on Extenza 4620z. I have same machine. I have Vista on C: and another parition I was succesfully installed 10.4.5 Myzar. (No Audio and Ethernet) but wireless and works. Also DVD software does not work. DVD player does though.

I tried installing Kalyway 10.5.2 and 10.5.1 but was unsuccsesfull after booting. Do I have to have clean formatted disk or I can just install the same over existing 10.4.5 parition.

Please let me know. Also do you guys know how to make Audio work?

thanks

• 3 months later...

Alright, I figure that its been a while and its a good time to bump this post back up to look for updates from users with the 4620..

First off, Ive had good luck with the Leo4All ISO's as they have just about every needed driver built in. The only problems I see are CardReader / PC Card Functonality + Ethernet Functionality + and Sound Issues + Webcam issues

The card reader and PC card + the ethernet and webcam are completely non functional, But the sound is only partly broken, Speakers work, but if I use any alc268 patches for mic and headphones I will start to see kernal panics on shutdown of system...

I plan to try the newer iAtkos release and post results very soon.

• 2 months later...
Alright, I figure that its been a while and its a good time to bump this post back up to look for updates from users with the 4620..

First off, Ive had good luck with the Leo4All ISO's as they have just about every needed driver built in. The only problems I see are CardReader / PC Card Functonality + Ethernet Functionality + and Sound Issues + Webcam issues

The card reader and PC card + the ethernet and webcam are completely non functional, But the sound is only partly broken, Speakers work, but if I use any alc268 patches for mic and headphones I will start to see kernal panics on shutdown of system...

I plan to try the newer iAtkos release and post results very soon.

I have the 4620z as well and all I needed to do was use OSX86Tools and have it "Download and Install Hardware Drivers" and it's working pretty good...

• 3 months later...

Awesome! I have the same laptop. What a sweet deal! Anyway, I have started a wiki page for the Acer Extensa 4620z HERE I have already posted quite a bit of info there, but it still needs some love. It would be cool if I could get some help from you other 4620erz

I have the 4620z as well and all I needed to do was use OSX86Tools and have it "Download and Install Hardware Drivers" and it's working pretty good...

did you install all the drivers? the only one that works for me is the Broadcom.. if I install the video-card update it breaks, audio driver breaks too. I don't know what the USB driver will do but I am afraid to try it.

But the sound is only partly broken, Speakers work, but if I use any alc268 patches for mic and headphones I will start to see

did you try installing audio following the directions in my posts? follow these directions here

remember to always fix permissions etc. using osx86 tools after you do any kind of updates otherwise nothing will work

the files are available for download at the top of the post. worked great for me on 10.5.5 and 10.5.6

@ Shaska:

Now, I'm not sure if this will work, but try to install a program called macam and your webcam should be working with photo booth. For iChat, you need some other program which is not free (macam is freeware). You might have some problems with the LED light on the webcam (I do) but it's worth it. As for the LAN, can you tell me the problem that you are having and your Internet Adapter's Model name.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I'm new. I have a 4620Z. I ran the installation for 10.5.6 according to the wiki page. (Thanks a bunch for that) The webcam worked. These items did not work touchpad/mouse, sound, lan. I found the kext for these (thanks to the wiki page). The only thing I can't get working that no one seems to have a problem with is the firewire port. It shows No FireWire ports can be detected. From what I have seen on the board....it seems that everyone has some sort of problem but, firewire is the only thing that seems to work for everyone else. Any help will be appreciated.

Hello,

I'm new. I have a 4620Z. I ran the installation for 10.5.6 according to the wiki page. (Thanks a bunch for that) The webcam worked. These items did not work touchpad/mouse, sound, lan. I found the kext for these (thanks to the wiki page). The only thing I can't get working that no one seems to have a problem with is the firewire port. It shows No FireWire ports can be detected. From what I have seen on the board....it seems that everyone has some sort of problem but, firewire is the only thing that seems to work for everyone else. Any help will be appreciated.

Update... After running the usb driver update in osx86tools and rebooting, the firewire worked. I also installed the battery meter and it works.