Dual boot XP/Leopard, 2 SATA drives, GUID and MBR?

A-98

13 posts in this topic

So. Having finally fleshed out all the specs on my computer, and spending many hours staring at the wiki, and researching topics, i have come to you with a question: Is it possible to install Leopard on a GUID 500 gig drive using this and this method, and install XP on a separate, 10k rpm, drive, formatted as MBR?

Im pretty sure I would need to install XP first, then get the GUID drive running. Also, I think I would use the vista bootloader ported to XP

Thanks a lot,

A-98

and if you want to be bothered: i might decide to slap ubuntu onto this guy also, so I'd want to put that on the XP drive, as a separate partition. Would that work? I have bootcamp running on my MBP, and tried (without success) to get Ubuntu tri-booted off my internal drive. GRUB kept conflicting with BIOS, and it all exploded.

P.S. attached is a .zip file, containing an excel file, which has my computer's specs laid out, priced, etc. if it matters.

_Computer_.xls.zip

I'm looking for something similar. GUID on Leopard drive, Vista on the other. It seems that dual-booting with the Vista bootloader currently requires the Leopard drive to be formatted MBR.

Any workarounds? Should I even care if Leopard is formatted as MBR or GUID?

I'm looking for something similar. GUID on Leopard drive, Vista on the other. It seems that dual-booting with the Vista bootloader currently requires the Leopard drive to be formatted MBR.

Any workarounds? Should I even care if Leopard is formatted as MBR or GUID?

it should work,not with bootloaders though, go into your bios boot selector and select which drive you want to boot off of.

I'm having similar problem

I had XP on one MBR HD, and OSX86 10.5 on another MBR HD, and chain0 worked well

Now, I repartitioned the OSX86 HD to GUID, and with

XP on one MBR HD, and OSX86 10.5 on another *GUID* HD, and the SAME chain0 file DOES NOT WORK, and has a "chain loading error"

Any work around?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the same problem. I am using three HDD, one for Vista (MBR), XP(MBR) and leopard (GUID).

I want to set my Windows Vista HDD (MBR) as startup disk in BIOS and then have a menu to select wether I want to start Vista or from my leopard disk (GUID). I tried to do this with easyBCD. Howeer, this seems to work only for MBR OSX installations.

Is there any solution for GUID OSX?

Thanks

Lion

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
[CAUTION!] Optional Step 9: If you noticed that the Darwin bootloader of Leopard detected both disks, you can easily change it to boot from that. If you haven't, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS STEP, or you will only end up being able to boot to Leopard. After reading that, read below to make Darwin your main bootloader.

do you know what determines if the darwin bootloader sees xp (vista for me) and how to replicate it? I would love to use darwin to automatically boot osx with vista on another drive.

• 2 months later...
I'm having similar problem

I had XP on one MBR HD, and OSX86 10.5 on another MBR HD, and chain0 worked well

Now, I repartitioned the OSX86 HD to GUID, and with

XP on one MBR HD, and OSX86 10.5 on another *GUID* HD, and the SAME chain0 file DOES NOT WORK, and has a "chain loading error"

Any work around?

Thanks in advance!

I noticed that when I used EASYBCD, it gave two options for adding Mac OSes to the BootLoader: iMac/MacBook and GenericX386 (or something). When I did the generic option, it put a folder on the C: drive with a file in it that had a .mbr at the end. I think that this was the equivalent of chain0. When I tried the iMac version, it didn't put any file at all there, but said that I needed to get the boot.efi from the usr/standalone/(intel or x86 something) folder and copy it to the same spot where I wold have used the chain0 file.

So, I think chain0 only works with MBR, and you have to use the boot.efi for GUID. My OSX never boots up all the way on MBR, but the Vista bootloader gets me to the Apple logo and spinny sun at least. I'll try again maybe with GUID and boot.efi later tonight.

• 11 months later...

yor r really a genius...i follow exactly and wowww i have all choices open...i have two sata drives with 2 and 4 partition each

now i can boot into sp s86 xp64 and mac osx leo 10.5.6 anytime..without hassel..you have done a great job..

i have hakintosh on dg31pr and all that is required and yess xx mac osx 10.5.6 rev1 dvd...it instales within 15 min no hasels...

only problem with me my pcie

graphics

not working

palit 8400gs 512 mb super nvdiahdcp compliant videocard

i tried efi studio nvinject nvkush nvdarwin nothing works

can u please give me the workaround for it

It was possible for me to get XP x86 running on one disk using MBR on one disk, and Leopard with GUID on another disk, then just using the XP chain0 method to allow me to choose which operating system to load. I can make the Darwin bootloader detect both XP and Leopard if they're on the same disk, but then that forces me to use a Master Boot Record.

Before reading this guide, note that I have NO RESPONSIBILITY to what happens to your system/setup. This is how I did it, and this is how it worked for ME. Not necessarily you. Read the whole thing before you attempt. You have been forewarned... ;)

Here's the steps I took:

~ gh0st3h!

A simple guide to dual boot XP (MBR) and Leopard (GUID) from two separate drives using the chain0 method.

(optionally the Darwin bootloader, but not much success with that.)

Requirements:

• 1 Leopard Install disk (I was able to use a boot-132 disk and a retail disk. However, you can use Kalyway, iATKOS, Leo4All, etc.)
  • 1 XP Install disk
  • 2 clean hard drives
  • CD/DVD reader
  • Patience & time

Step 1: First, make sure that you have two hard drives connected to your computer, as well as a CD/DVD reader, to make sure you can read both the Leopard and XP install disk. Then, go into BIOS (pressing the delete key is one of the common ways, or one of the F# keys,) and set it so that the computer will boot off of the CD/DVD drive first. Make sure you only have those two clean drives connected, and that they're completely detected in BIOS. Sadly, I cannot provide help for this stage.

Step 2: Next, you have a choice of installing XP or Leopard first. For me, I installed Leopard first on one disk using the 10.5.2 Kalyway install disk on one drive. Go through the install like normal, but make sure you go into Utilities first (top bar), then to Disk Utility, and then reformat one disk to a GUID partition table. Make sure you format it to allow a Leopard installation, which means not FAT32 nor Free Space. (Note: in going through the Disk Utility and formatting, you will lose ALL DATA ON THAT DRIVE. I am NOT responsible if you have not created any backups.) Then, install on that partition.

Step 3: Make sure that you get that Leopard partition running STABLE. If you want to (and can) upgrade to 10.5.4, make sure your hackintosh is working flawlessly. Install all needed kexts to make your system be able to interface with your hardware. Make sure you have a proper kernel that allows easy booting, shutting down, sleeping, and restarting. As a final step before you go your way installing XP, make sure that you can boot/shutdown/sleep/restart without the need of -v or -x as a boot flag. Make a backup of this clean installation, so you have something easily to fall back to.

Step 4: If you do not have a bootloader for the Leopard side, I strongly advise you install one. Just in case your Leopard installation fails, you can easily boot into safe mode to figure out a problem. Install this modified bootloader with Chameleon EFI that Kalyway packaged, and which I have no contribution to the developing of that bootloader, with all rights reserved to the original developers. Download and the disk should auto mount. If you do not understand the first step in the readme, I advise you skip it. If you know what you're doing, you can follow it. Then, install the package, which will install a Darwin bootloader along with Chameleon EFI. Once it's done installing, have a trial restart and see if everything functions. If it doesn't work, and you made a backup, you're in luck. If you didn't, you will have to reinstall.

Step 5: Shutdown the system fully, and disconnect the power. Make sure the system is completely off, then open your computer case. Discharge any static electricity on you by touching the metal frame of the computer. Then, unplug both the power and connector for the Leopard hard disk, to make sure nothing further can be damaged. Leave the case open if you want for the final few steps, or close it now. However, you probably will be opening it later on. :)

Step 6: Go back into BIOS and make sure that you will boot the CD/DVD drive first. Once that is made sure of, save your settings, and proceed to install Windows XP on that other disk that has nothing on it. (Note: I don't say Windows Vista for I haven't used it enough to know my way around the operating system. If you do install Windows Vista, you're on your own :( ) Going through the XP install process will make you lose all the data on that last plugged in drive, so make sure there's nothing on it, or you've made a backup.

Step 7: Make it so that Windows XP is fully installed and does not have any issues with any hardware. Make sure there's no glitches in the install. Then, download chain0 from here (not my link!). Extract the file from the archive, and then go to Start, then to My Computer. Double click on the C drive, where you should see some folders like "Documents and Settings," "WINDOWS," and "Program Files." Copy the file (named chain0) right there. Then, go to Start, then Control Panel. Switch to Classic View (usually located in the top left corner) and then go to "System." Go to the Advanced tab, then click on the "Settings" button for Startup and Recovery. It's the 3rd button down. Make sure that "Time to display list of operating systems:" is checked, and set to a number higher than 5. After that, click on "Edit." Under the last line (it should be something like...

...add...

C:\chain0="Chain0 - Leopard"

The text between the quotation marks can be a simple title to remember your Leopard install by, but make sure it doesn't have complex characters, or the bootloader for XP might complain. Save boot.ini, and close out of it. Shut down the system.

Step 8: Open up the computer again (if it's not open :P ), discharge yourself, and then reconnect the Leopard partition to the computer. Leave it open just in case any further problems arise, or don't. It's your choice. But anyways, boot up the system, making sure that you go back into BIOS, and make sure that the CD/DVD drive has first boot priority, then your XP disk does. Save the changes in BIOS, and then try booting up from both XP and Leopard from XP's bootloader. If each option works, great! If not, then something went wrong. You'll have to debug for yourself. =\

[CAUTION!] Optional Step 9: If you noticed that the Darwin bootloader of Leopard detected both disks, you can easily change it to boot from that. If you haven't, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS STEP, or you will only end up being able to boot to Leopard. After reading that, read below to make Darwin your main bootloader.

First, boot into XP, and go to Start, then to Run, and then type in cmd. Then, you'll want to type in:

diskpart

After that loads, type in:

list disk

If you know the size of your Leopard disk, you type in:

select disk #

...replacing # with the number that the Leopard disk was labeled as. If you don't know the size of the disk, keep going back to this step.

Then, type in:

list partition

If you see your Leopard on this disk, great. It will probably show up as an Unknown type. You'll want to select this partition by doing:

select partition #

...replacing # with the number that the Leopard partition.

After that, you'll want to type in:

active

...which labels that partition as active.

After that, if you're meticulous, you can remove the chain0 entry from the XP bootloader if you want to, by deleting the entry in C:\boot.ini, which will allow you to boot straight into XP.

~*~

And there you have it. Please note that this method worked for me, it might not work for you. Please don't PM me if this deletes your data, or if it will work on an XYZ motherboard with an XYZ graphics card, etc. I do have limited time, but I believe this is a generic method to get it working.

Best of luck for all that try!

Side note: Please don't copy this guide that I meticulously hand typed word for word. If you want to, you can link to it or quote it. Any links to files to get are NOT mine, but the works/hosting of others.

~ gh0st3h!

:(:):rolleyes::rolleyes: