G4 CPU in a PowerMac G3

dcook

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking to upgrade my old G3 B&W to run Leopard (or at least Tiger) with a 933Mhz G4 from a Quicksilver 2002.

Is there anything I'd have to do to get it to work in the G3's motherboard? What about mounting that huge heatsink?

Thanks.

As far as i have read you cant some of the websites say it is a buss speed issue, if it physically fits? and some refer to a power wire that must be soldered onto the processor-board from the mainboard, and so forth!

It is even a problem to get an older G4 to work with any processor from the Quicksilver Machines!

I'm waiting for my Dual 1.8 to arrive so I can stick it in my G4

Checkout: http://www.macmod.com/content/view/75/193/ its very rudementry

Be very careful as you know the parts are not that available any more!

SticMAN

I'm looking to upgrade my old G3 B&W to run Leopard (or at least Tiger) with a 933Mhz G4 from a Quicksilver 2002.

Is there anything I'd have to do to get it to work in the G3's motherboard? What about mounting that huge heatsink?

Thanks.

Totally different socket.

Also, would a CPU from a quicksilver run on a logic board from a digital audio? There aren't any differences between the two that I'm aware of, but I figure I'll check anyway before I start spending all my money again :D.

EDIT: nvm, I did some more research, and apparently the quicksilver cpu would need to be modded slightly. I think i'll just look for one that was pulled from a DA.

Also, would a CPU from a quicksilver run on a logic board from a digital audio? There aren't any differences between the two that I'm aware of, but I figure I'll check anyway before I start spending all my money again :P.

EDIT: nvm, I did some more research, and apparently the quicksilver cpu would need to be modded slightly. I think i'll just look for one that was pulled from a DA.

the first gen g4 used the same socket as the g3 but it was quickly changed. the quicksilver is easily modded to function in a digital audio, all that is required is the edition of 12v to one of the screw terminals. I have a quicksilver cpu in a da board overclocked to 866 running leopard and it is pretty darn slow

Yeah, dually at 1ghz or single 1.4ghz seems to be the lowest 'usable' speed for a G4 today in leopard. You can limp along in with a single G4 slower in that OS, I just don't know how people stand it. Also single Quicksilver G4 are supposed to be gimped in cache, and far worse than the 7447a people whine about.

I do have a B&W G3 that runs Tiger pretty well with a powerlogix 1.1ghz 750GX (big L2) upgrade. I would actually recommend this over any G4 upgrade for G3 or Yikes (old socket G4) as any good program that relies on Altivec would be beyond such a machine anyways.