TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L Drive on HP Won't Burn.

evelez

20 posts in this topic

I have a HP Pavilion a6050y with a "TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L" dvd burner. Leopard's system profiler shows this infomation,

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L:

Firmware Revision: 0514

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

But when I go and burn a disc, I get a error message saying,

The burn to the TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L drive failed. The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry.

Is it possible to make this drive work on OS X 10.5 with a driver of some sort. The drive reads discs find, but no burn support on it.

Hope someone can help me. Thanks.

Update- I was able to burn a DVD+r using the program Burn and also was able to burn an audio disc using Toast 8. But I still can not burn using disk utility, itunes and the finder. Maybe someone out there has a solution. thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem with an HP Pavilion DV6345US with a TSST TS-L632M drive. In the previous Mac world we used a program called Patchburn to create a device profile for third-party DVD-R drives that would burn in Toast but not iTunes. The developer of Patchburn discontinued it as Leopard supposedly allows any third party drive now. Apparently that's not entirely true.

For grins:

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632M:

Firmware Revision: 0817

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported Drive)

Profile Path: VendorSupport.drprofile

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Same problem with an HP Pavilion DV6345US with a TSST TS-L632M drive. In the previous Mac world we used a program called Patchburn to create a device profile for third-party DVD-R drives that would burn in Toast but not iTunes. The developer of Patchburn discontinued it as Leopard supposedly allows any third party drive now. Apparently that's not entirely true.

For grins:

Yeah I remember Patchburn, am not sure why the developer thought Leopard supported all third party burners. It would be nice to have some type of Patchburn app for Leopard.

I bought an external drive for 30 dollars with Dual layer dvd support from Lacie, it works great with itunes and all the other Apple apps. Now my HP works with all my equipment. My printer, Wireless USB WIFI card, graphics card and sound. It feels just like a real mac. It runs great. We just need to be aware of OS X updates and check this site first before putting on any major updates to your system and it will keep running good just like a mac. I own a Mac Book Pro and this HP runs as good as my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump.

My sister's Hackintosh is an HP machine and has the same problem. It didn't work in 10.4 with Patchburn and it gives the same error in 10.5 with EFI.

I seem to have a recollection of having trouble getting an aftermarket HP DVD drive to burn in Windows at my workplace a few years ago. Luckily we had a former HP support employee working with us at the time. He tracked down some special obscure software from the HP site that enabled burning. My suspicion is that the HP drives communicate in some non-standard way.

If an HP driver is required for burning, we may be out of luck.

- GeekMan

The problem is the "TSSTCorp". That is, "Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology". Try going to their website, there's nothing there. It seems that neither company is responsible for the line of drives they jointly develop and manufacture.

Some initial Googling shows however that some of the TSST drives have synonymous model numbers in the Samsung or Toshiba lines. So it may be possible to reflash the firmware using that of its generic counterpart.

This isn't a problem specific to Mac OS X either. I have a brand new HP machine at work that came with Vista pre-installed, which I wiped and replaced with our VLK Windows XP. It also has a TSST CD/DVD RW lightscribe drive that's very simillar to my sister's drive. Disc burning does not work in XP. Hmm...

More Googling shows lots of reports from Gateway desktop users with the same problem: after a clean OS install their TSST DVD writer doesn't work. I suspect some sort of OEM lock-in.

I'll try calling HP support about my machine at work, but I suspect the response excuse will be that the machine isn't supported under XP.

Will hopefully update.

- GeekMan

evelez,

Not sure if you're still paying attention to this thread, but I just found out that my HP drive at work is the exact same model that you're using: the TS-H653L.

Apparently, there are firmware updates available from HP's website.

For Windows XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=en&lang=en

For Windows Vista:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...093&lang=en

Of course, you'll need some version of Windows to apply a firmware update. I have no idea if either of these will improve functionality in Mac OS X, but it's worth a try. I'll report my own successes/failures later.

- GeekMan

Do you think it would be possible to flash the drive firmware in a VMware XP install?

I have no idea. Somehow I doubt it.

The firmware update I applied at work did not enable burning in Windows Explorer. My correspondence with HP has basically boiled down to "you need to be running Windows Vista for all the hardware to work correctly", and they referred me to a Microsoft tech article on how to burn a CD. Hmpf.

Also, I discovered that DVD burning on the drive works with Nero 7, but not in Windows Explorer. It doesn't make a lot of sense, because optical drives are generic hardware and should just work without drivers. There's something we're not being told, and that annoys me.

I wonder how Linux users get around this issue?

Okay.

So to solve my sister's immediate problem, I gave her my own Hackintosh's LG DVD-RW, then took her non-burning TS-H652M home to test on my Hackintosh.

The TS-H652M burns DVDs on my machine.

I would have then presumed that there's something wrong with my sister's machine, but the LG drive I gave her burns discs just fine. This makes absolutely no sense, because both machines have the same fresh copy of Kalaway installed on them. There's something I'm not thinking of.

- Burn speed?

- Media brand/compatibility?

- Interaction between the drive and the system's IDE controller?

I've no idea. I almost would have been happier if the TSST drive just hadn't worked on my machine. Then I'd be able to assign blame to a particular part of the hardware configuration.

I'm eager to hear reports from other TSST/HP DVD-RW users. Try moving the drive to a different location on the IDE chain, changing the jumper settings, change the media, change the burn speed. Personally, I'm going to try to break my current configuration. At least then we'll have some suggestions for other people having problems with their drives.

- Geekman

• 1 month later...
Okay.

So to solve my sister's immediate problem, I gave her my own Hackintosh's LG DVD-RW, then took her non-burning TS-H652M home to test on my Hackintosh.

The TS-H652M burns DVDs on my machine.

I would have then presumed that there's something wrong with my sister's machine, but the LG drive I gave her burns discs just fine. This makes absolutely no sense, because both machines have the same fresh copy of Kalaway installed on them. There's something I'm not thinking of.

- Burn speed?

- Media brand/compatibility?

- Interaction between the drive and the system's IDE controller?

I've no idea. I almost would have been happier if the TSST drive just hadn't worked on my machine. Then I'd be able to assign blame to a particular part of the hardware configuration.

I'm eager to hear reports from other TSST/HP DVD-RW users. Try moving the drive to a different location on the IDE chain, changing the jumper settings, change the media, change the burn speed. Personally, I'm going to try to break my current configuration. At least then we'll have some suggestions for other people having problems with their drives.

- Geekman

I Have a HP media centre PC M7655.uk that works in every way with Kalyway 10.5.2 and with the combo update 10.5.3. All except the silly TSST Corp TS-H653L. Will not burn anything - can read OK no problem.

Now...read this. I have a friend who has the exact same model and who purchased his a few weeks before I did back in 2006. We have both built Hackintosh's using the same Kalyway 10.5.2 disk, both upgraded using the same combo update etc , etc.

The only difference is this:- His firmware version for H653L is 0314. I originally had 0414 and could use Simply Burn with no probs however no CD burning with Itunes. He was able to do both on his. In my stupidity I upgraded firstly to 0514 and then 0714 and now with either 0514 or 0714 am unable to burn anything in Leopard.

My theory is this: get firmware 0314 and all is well with the world- however getting this firmware is nothing short of a nightmare!! HP are complete a*** holes when it comes to support! I am waiting for a response from them for a request of 0314. Let's see what happens!

Hope this sheds some light on this and I hope this thread is still alive!!!! If you know of an alternative solution , please let me know.

BTW- will patchburn work on 10.5.3??? Has anyone tried??

Thanks.

M.

i have the same Series DVD Drive TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D. Using disk utility i can burn only CD's but with Roxio Toast i can burn cd/dvd erase them etc...give it a try

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same Drive on a HP M7780N and there is a solution.

First you have to get into Windows, and download Samsung's SH-S183L SB03 Firmware Update.

It is fully compatible with the TS-H653L Drive.

Unpack it. Dont try to run the exe file as is, as It will tell you that there isnt any compatible drive to update.

Once unpacked with winrar, run the exe on a command like with a "-NOCHECK" flag in all CAPS.

Update your drive with the .bin that was unpacked.

Reboot into OS X, and try burning. I just did it and im burning a OS X 10.5.6 .dmg using Disk Utility as I write.

Hackintosh TSST Corp TS-H653L Firmware Burn Fix OS X Samsung SH-S183L 10.5.6

• 1 month later...

Old topic, I know. But there's always room for more solutions:

I was back inside my sister's Hackintosh recently to add an extra hard drive. I noticed for the first time that the DVD drive was connected with an old 40-wire ATA cable as opposed to the more modern 80-wire UltraDMA cable. The cables have the same connectors and look similar, so if you don't know the difference you should look here:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

If was a stupid mistake which I must have made whilst rummaging around in my parts box when I was originally modifying the machine (I'm assuming that HP wasn't stupid enough to ship their machine with an older IDE cable). Without a proper UltraDMA cable, functions on modern optical drives (booting from CD/DVD, burning) can malfunction. This might have been the cause of all my problems to begin with.

So, if you've never been able to get burning to work correctly on your hackintosh, you might want to check what kind of cable it is connected with. It's definitely worth a shot.

• 1 month later...

Update for anyone still fighting this issue, I was able to fix this, but it required booting into Windows.

Step 1: Find the Samsung S03 firmware for this drive. I got it from here: http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/bios_firm...l632m/6060.html

Step 2: Extract the BIOS image from the EXE file using an archive utility. I used 7-zip.

Step 3: Find and download the samsung flash utility "sfdnwin" for windows. I found instructions on this page: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=37395

Step 4: Start "sfdnwin" with the "-nocheck" option and it will allow you to flash your drive with the Samsung firmware.

Reboot to OSX, and burn, burn, burn. I hope this helps someone. As always, your mileage may vary... :(

• 1 month later...

@Farkonian - you are a farkin' genius buddy. I have NO idea how you figured out that the problem was the DVD drive's firmware being somehow locked out from other O/S. I had no expectations that this would work but I am HAPPY TO HAVE BEEN WRONG. :P Your last post gave me an idea of what to try... with a few mods to your instructions (see my sig for my h/w config) my drive now works natively in iTunes & everywhere else. So I'm posting this to let you (and others!) know that this method DOES WORK!

• Since my drive was a TS-L632N I had to scour around for its compatible firmware but I found it! x-drivers.ru is a great site...
  • Then I opened up the package in WinRAR, and extracted the .BIN file
  • Used tsdnwin to flash the drive -
    • tsdnwin is newer and easier to find - if y'all can't find the other program referenced in this thread, Google for it.
    • It has to be run from Windows, AS ADMINISTRATOR, from a command prompt with the --nocheck option.
    • This will NOT work from a virtual machine, so you need to boot your drive in a computer running Windows (XP, Vista, 7 all work). [use GParted (Google it) to partition your drive non-destructively to install Windows, if you have to. You can always remove the partition later if you want and return the space to your OS X partition.]

[*] Flash the drive with tsdnwin, wait a while, reboot!

Thanks to everyone who helped get us to this point - I am pleased as punch.

EDIT: Mac Hawk - special shout out for cluing us (me) about the firmware solution

• 1 month later...

Another success here.

This is my first post, but I've lurked and learned for a bit and have found InsanelyMac to be an invaluable resource.

I was having problems burning with my TSSTcorp SH-S223L under 10.5.8. Toast worked great, but despite burning support showing as "Yes (Generic Drive Support)" disks burned with the OS always failed verification and refused to mount. I was able to get it working by updating the firmware as suggested previously, but I used a different method

Samsung just released the first firmware update for the drive on the Samsung ODD site (http://www.samsungodd.com/Eng/). I downloaded the .exe firmware file to my Windows laptop. Then powered down and opened up my H-tosh case, disconnected the drive's power and SATA cables and hooked the drive up to powered SATA/USB adapter. I powered up the adapter and plugged its USB cable into the laptop.

The drive was recognized and the whole "found new hardware" process started and finished successfully. Then I ran the firmware .exe which saw the drive and allowed me to select it for updating. After the utility finished, it directed me to reboot. When things were back up I used Samsung's "Win Inquiry" utility to confirm that the drive was updated.

I reconnected the drive to the motherboard and powered up, now it works flawlessly.

Thanks for setting me on the right path.