Kalway and IBM Thinkpad T42

masterofallchief

15 posts in this topic

Ok here we go again.

I have a IBM Thinkpad T42 these are the specs

(1.8GHz), 755(2GHz), 765(2.1GHz), or Pentium M 1.5GHzMemory256MB or 512MB and supports up to 2GB maximum memoryHard drive30GB, 40GB, 60GB, or 80GB sizesDisplay14.1" TFT or 15.1" TFT displayGraphics32MB RADEON 7500 or 9000, 64MB RADEON 9600, or 128MB FIREGL T2 ATI Mobility video chipsetCD and DVD driveUltrabay DVD, CD-RW/DVD, or CD-RW/DVD-R Multi-Burner drivesNetworkingIntegrated 802.11b, 802.11bg, or 802.11abg wireless (select models)SecurityFingerprint reader and Security chip (select models)BatteryLithium Ion in 4 cell, 6 cell, and 9 cell configurationsOperating SystemMicrosoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows 2000ThinkVantage TechnologiesThinkVantage Technologies help make your system more secure, manage networks and connectivity, backup and restore your data, and more. Learn more and download.Detailed specificationsAll specifications for the ThinkPad T42 and T42p systems

I have been having issues installing the OS and I do not know what procedures that I should take. Can someone help me on this issue.

what's your hardware ?!

you can't just list, 5 graphics cards, you got "1" ,...

etc,...

also what install did you use ?

and what problems do you really have ?

sounds like you don't have the laptop, and have not tried to install it,...

use the forum, search,...

1.8 GHZ

512 MB

40GB Hard drive

32MB Radeon Card

Intel Centrino CPU

These are the specs on the laptop.

When I go do the installtions

1. I Partition the Harddrive GUID I have also tried MBR

2. I continue the installation and cutomize it by choosing the

Vanilla Kernel

SS3

Video Drivers that use the ATI

Boot Loader GUID first and I have also tried MBR

Then I do the installation it completes succesfully, but when I reboot the system it just stays and the harddrive just keeps moving and a flashing cursor on the side.

So if anyone can help I really appriciate it tremendously.

Did you partition your drive as MBR or GUID, remember if you have a MBR partition you need to use the EFI MBR, and if you partitioned your drive as GUID, EFI GUID.

Keep trying, I did for a year, and finally got mine done. Oh, and it's worth it once you get it to work...

• 6 months later...

I'm having almost the same problem, I cannot have the wireless card since it looks like I need the driver or somthing.

another thing that is happenig is that the machine freeze up after not using it for a while; also looks like I need to install a better driver for my video card which is the same as the one mention on the hardware list that master posted.

thanks