Leopard Installation Only Works In Safe Mode

mikeazorin

6 posts in this topic

My computer configuration is in my signature. I installed Leopard from the Kalyway installation disc, and am using Vanilla kernel and EFI boot on a GUID formatted hard drive. I installed the Natit ATI drivers that came with the Kalyway disc.

Leopard installed correctly, but when I booted from the hard drive it installed on, the gray Apple screen would load and spin, but then the screen would turn a dark gray and stick there. Using the Terminal on the Install DVD, I followed the advice of people on the IRC channel who told me to delete all .kext's that started with NV or GeForce. At this point, I also downloaded and manually installed the HD 2600/2900 drivers in the topic of #RadeonHD located at http://tinyurl.com/34rgay. I installed them by extracting them from the .pkg file, placing them in /System/Library/Extensions and applying the proper permissions.

I booted from the disk I installed Leopard on in Safe Mode using the "-x" option, and I was able to complete the user setup and login. When I logged in I received the following error message:

ofcxo9.png

System Profiler showed the following information:

2ql5u09.png

Without "-x" and after the gray Apple spinner, the display shows nothing intelligible, but instead a bunch of pixelated white blotches. I booted back into "-x" and installed 10.5.1 from Apple Update to see if that would fix anything. At that point, "About This Mac" had reported my system as 10.5. After installing 10.5.1, nothing changed either in safe mode, or normal boot.

What would be the next logical step for me to take in order to get my ATI HD 2600 XT working properly? 1024*768 looks quite poor on my current monitor, and I can't adjust the resolution in safe mode. I will be very grateful to anyone who can assist me with my problem. Thank you!

I would try installing Kalyway from a clean start without the Natit drivers (ie just vanilla ACPI and the EFI GUID). Then you have a system with no hacks. Then use DiskUtility to save that image that somewhere - eg an external drive to save a lot of future pain if you have to reload/install. Then try installing the Natit Drivers you downloaded.

If that doesn't work then back to the clean image you carefully backed up. And lots of googling on this forum to find some alternative Radeon drivers

Good luck

hi mike! I am very new to osx86 but got it running two days ago with the same card. Had the same problem with the snow screen. I installed and booted into osx with -x then installed the drivers from inside osx. Rebooted without -x and it worked perfectly, can change res etc.

I am using the flat image with the tos kernel