How to Install Kalyway with Tyan S5397

osxflex

6 posts in this topic

Need help installing Kalyway 10.5.1 with Tyan motherboard.

Specs Below:

MB TYAN S5397

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=560

HD 320gb

RAM 8gb 667mhz

CPUs 2 e5420 Xeons

GPU 8800GT Nvidia GPU 512mb pci gen 2.0 card

Has anyone installed to one of Tyans motherboards successfully.

If so what bios settings were used and what options were checked on install?

note: I believe this is very similar to the TYAN S5396

Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks.

Well I haven't gotten any responses from anyone who posted stating they've installed on a tyan succesfully so i just went ahead and did it. Vinilla Kernal(both check marks marks), Installed GPU drivers later, and set up drive GUID Journaled. Nothing else. Didn't even do anything special in the bios just set up dvd as first boot then changed it back to HD after i got the install working. So basically it worked without any issues except on reboot it came up with the plist error. I just removed the dvd, restarted it and it came right up and let me finish the installation.

Now I'm typing this message from the tyan machine...but it seems a bit odd. It says several interesting things in the system profiler that don't make sense...something must not be set up correctly.

Here's a look: I have two 2.5 mhz xeon processors and they should have 1333 mhz fsb not 100 and a total of 8 cores. Also the internet is v v slow. Not as concerned about that right now.

Anyone know why this is happening? I used the Kalyway 10.5.1...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Mac Pro

Processor Speed: 2.49 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 7

L2 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 100 MHz

Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh

• 1 month later...
Well I haven't gotten any responses from anyone who posted stating they've installed on a tyan succesfully so i just went ahead and did it. Vinilla Kernal(both check marks marks), Installed GPU drivers later, and set up drive GUID Journaled. Nothing else. Didn't even do anything special in the bios just set up dvd as first boot then changed it back to HD after i got the install working. So basically it worked without any issues except on reboot it came up with the plist error. I just removed the dvd, restarted it and it came right up and let me finish the installation.

Now I'm typing this message from the tyan machine...but it seems a bit odd. It says several interesting things in the system profiler that don't make sense...something must not be set up correctly.

Here's a look: I have two 2.5 mhz xeon processors and they should have 1333 mhz fsb not 100 and a total of 8 cores. Also the internet is v v slow. Not as concerned about that right now.

Anyone know why this is happening? I used the Kalyway 10.5.1...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Mac Pro

Processor Speed: 2.49 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 7

L2 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 100 MHz

Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh

hi is there an update on your progress? I'd like to do the same thing as what you're describing, only with 2.33 processors....

• 6 months later...

Hi I have the same mobo, with 2 X E5420 processors, 4gb fbdimm, nvidia 8800gt & esi1010 10 channel soundcard.

I wanted to get a running dual boot, and run Logic Pro on this mac install.

Does it work?

Primary concerns being -

1. LAN - the onboard LAN is an intel gigabyte lan. Does it work out of the box? The OP stated slow internet, has it been fixed?

2. The nvidia card i have is an xfx, and it's not listed on the wiki(as in not exact model, but all xfx cards are pretty much work out of the box it seems!). Do I need special drivers for it?

3. I have found official mac drivers for my soundcard. In any hardware install, does the latest kalyway work like a fully functional mac, i.e., install at will, or will I need to hack every driver?

4. Is there a fix to the bad processor ID? Also, does the system run faster than on windows?

Triple boot question:

I currently have an XP32 and an XP64 installation running, which I obviously dual boot. Can installing Kalyway on a fresh drive brick these two OS's?

I'm trying to research on this site as much as possible, but frankly, I'm a huge n00b, and I havent touched linux since 1993/94, so all I pretty much remember, since I was a kid back then, are "mkdir, cd, ls" and of course, "doom" :) Oh and "kill"!!

Some help? Please?