XFX 6800XT QE/CI Enabled in Leopard!

tomauty

4 posts in this topic

I have searched endlessly to find ways to get the XFX 6800XT to work on 10.5.1 with Quartz enabled, and after days of tweaking and downloading, I've finally got it and I hope everyone I've seen having trouble (Jordn) sees this guide and gets it working. This guide has ONLY been tested on the XFX 6800XT DevID 0x00C3 and I do not recommend doing it on any other card!

BE SURE TO MAKE BACKUPS OF ALL NVIDIA RELATED DRIVERS: NVDANV30HAL.KEXT NVDANV40HAL.KEXT GEFORCE.KEXT NVDARESMAN.KEXT

I RECOMMEND PRINTING THIS GUIDE AS YOU WILL BE IN SINGLE USER MODE FOR A FAIR AMOUNT OF IT. BY PERFORMING THE ACTIONS I RECOMMEND IN THIS GUIDE YOU RELEASE ME FROM ALL LIABILITY OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE GUIDE (It should be totally safe if you make backups)

First I booted into Single User mode, navigated to the System/Library/Extensions folder and entered the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -rf NV*
rm -rf GeForce*

then rebooted. Make sure you also don't have any NVinject or Natit drivers in your extension folders. We need to start fresh.

Now you should be back in leopard but at 1024x768. If not, restore what you deleted from your backups and ask me for help.

So you're here again? Good. Now I'm going to have you download this driver installer. Once it's done installing, you will have to reboot and you will most likely get the "You must restart your computer" error. If you do you're just where I was. Reboot and boot into single user mode.

Now that you're in single user mode we'll need to edit some kexts. First we'll edit GeForce.kext:

/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext/Contents
nano Info.plist

Now where you see

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>most likely a huge amount of crazy numbers</string>

replace it with

key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x00c310de</string>

Then ctrl-X and save it. Next we do the same thing with NVDANV30Hal.kext except just add that string to the beginning of the long list of them in IOPCIMatch. Do the same with NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman and save them all. Reboot with reboot -l and you should come back with a transparent top panel and some nice looking animations!

Keep in mind if you did NOT make backups I am not responsible for the outcome of this guide for you did not follow it completely.

• 1 month later...