apple.boot.plist missing

badtrip712

5 posts in this topic

Hello

so Ive installed osx amd 10.5.1 on my 120gb IDE HD But when I boot on it....nothing just a flashing "_" and when I insert the dvd like when I rebooted after the install Unabled to find apple.boot.plist....Maybe I could create a new one with sudo but I dont know the structure and I search on the forums and I found NOTHING!!!

so please If you have an idea post!! youll save my life!

if you installed then the file is definitely there. there is another reason why its not being found. Try searching...

btw, to confirm its there:

boot into terminal on the install dvd

cd /Volumes/drivewithleopard/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

nano com.apple.Boot.plist

or instead of nano just "ls" (lower case L,s) and see if its there.

• 3 weeks later...

this topic may be dead, but I just had a similar problem.

I got my Leopard install running, then swapped in some new hard drives, only to be met with:

System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

..and a blinking cursor.

Tried repairing with fdisk -u /dev/rdiskX like they suggest at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...499#entry622904, which didn't work. Finally I just unplugged the new hard drives, rebooted, and everything worked fine again. I'm typing this before mucking around in the bios, but I think it's just a boot drive conflict. Darwin (?) doesn't know where to find its stuff.

Hope this helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound irrelevant but it fixed my problem with this error every time. Did you install on an MBR partitioned drive or GUID? On some drives i cant install on GUID or else i get the error but if i install to MBR partitioned drive it works. It is pretty weird. If you installed GUID try MBR, you might be surprised!

If you add drives to your setup frequently or have one of those SATA mobile racks, like I do, every time you add a drive, the BIOS resets the HDD order. I found that to be the biggest headache of all. Even USB drives somehow are made as primary boot devices when plugged in. BIOS behavior varies from vendors but that's worth a check, to make sure your HDD order is correct. This option is typically in the Boot Sequence menu area and lets you select which HDD is considered first device for booting.